Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with your post but the above stood out to me.....The blaming of Fagan is a cop out imo.....it wasn't Fagan who had "concrete hands" tonight....it wasn't Fagan who handballed to a player surrounded by the opposition...It wasn't Fagan who kicked straight to the opposition....and it wasn't Fagan who made silly/slow decisions and got caught..or fumbled with the ball and stuffed up to the point my blood pressure must've been sky high..

Yes, quite a few of the players need a damn good kick up the backside, particularly Mr so cool, gum chewing Daniher and his mate Eric..

We have the talent but they are too comfortable atm and need a reality check.

I hope the media give us the same as the Pies got. Not sure that will happen though. Not a Vic team.

I don’t think Fagan is the problem, BUT at the same time a new coach with the right list might unlock something.

Look at Collingwood - I don’t think Buckley was a bad coach at all to be honest. But things were stagnating, and when McRae came in it was an immediate boost both in player effort, and the change in strategy worked for them too.

Not to mention this constant over hand balling which Fagan himself said we were going to do with this fast ball movements it hasn’t worked at all.

Disagree, I like the handballing. Worked our way out of a few high pressure situations yesterday with it.

Big contrast to past years where we barely handballed it at all, and instead opted for the dump kick forward.

Like I said a few pages back, I think the gameplan actually was okay last night. It was just the personnel and poor, poor skill errors

I don’t think Fagan is the problem, BUT at the same time a new coach with the right list might unlock something.

Look at Collingwood - I don’t think Buckley was a bad coach at all to be honest. But things were stagnating, and when McRae came in it was an immediate boost both in player effort, and the change in strategy worked for them too.

Could probably say a lot of premiership coaches teams were stagnating before finally breaking through though

Chris Scott and Hardwick recently

I understand the sentiment of playing Lyons more now after watching last night, however we have to move past him. He just gets torched too hard after the contest and we need to give the midfield a refresh, not drag it back.
I don’t see that he gets done as frequently as people say. Respectfully, the Lyons gets torched narrative is a bit like the Lester can’t run and Lester doesn’t intercept narrative we used to hear when he was being overlooked. It doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

If we play Lyons as a pure mid, we put the runners around him. Bailey and Dunkley are supposed to be quick, but they are too often out bodied and then standing flat footed watching opponents run the ball out of the middle. The idea with Lyons is that he is more likely to win the contest than Bailey ever will or Dunkley currently does.

Footnote: Lester was Equal 3rd for Intercept Possessions last night with 6, behind Zorko 9 and Andrews 7.

I spent my off season working on my over emotional, game spoiling emotions.

Last night was the biggest test so far.

Managed to hold it together for 90%, but that 10% was super costly. Rage and frustration slipped through and scored heavily. I gave the game away in that small about of time.

Lots of positives to come out of it, a few tweaks during the week and a good relaxed lead up and I anticipate a much better performance next week.

Will watch the VFL in about 30 minutes time.

Hopefully Fagan just wanted to see some players with 2 VFL games under their belt before making a senior judgment.
We need a marking 3rd tall with some smarts.
A midfielder, obviously not Tunstill otherwise you would have thought he would have been played in the middle by now.
Looking for how these guys go assuming they play.
Lloyd (pick 42), Morris ((pick 31), Torrent (pick 64), Reville & Brain both Cat B rookie.

Below list of debut players since 2021 and their total AFL games played.
Pretty clear that if you are under pick 20 you are more likely to get a go in the AFL.

Debut YearPlayerTotal AFL Games Played
2021Prior (pick number 59)35
2021Madden (Cat B rookie)13
2021Sharp (43)10
2022Wilmott (16)32
2022Lohmann (20)11
2022Tunstill (41)5
2022Michael (Cat B rookie)1
2023Ashcroft (2)18
2023Fletcher (12)17

Will watch the VFL in about 30 minutes time.

Hopefully Fagan just wanted to see some players with 2 VFL games under their belt before making a senior judgment.
We need a marking 3rd tall with some smarts.
A midfielder, obviously not Tunstill otherwise you would have thought he would have been played in the middle by now.
Looking for how these guys go assuming they play.
Lloyd (pick 42), Morris ((pick 31), Torrent (pick 64), Reville & Brain both Cat B rookie.

Below list of debut players since 2021 and their total AFL games played.
Pretty clear that if you are under pick 20 you are more likely to get a go in the AFL.

Debut YearPlayerTotal AFL Games Played
2021Prior (pick number 59)35
2021Madden (Cat B rookie)13
2021Sharp (43)10
2022Wilmott (16)32
2022Lohmann (20)11
2022Tunstill (41)5
2022Michael (Cat B rookie)1
2023Ashcroft (2)18
2023Fletcher (12)17

I wouldn't rule out Tunstill. Big issue over the years was his build. He's now quite strong and fit - absolutely ready to get an opportunity. His kicking in the first half last week was average, but in general he's always been a serviceable kick so not worried about that. His defensive pressure was really good.

Big opportunity for him today. Deliver another 30 touch, six tackle game and it'll be very hard to give him a run.

I wouldn't rule out Tunstill. Big issue over the years was his build. He's now quite strong and fit - absolutely ready to get an opportunity. His kicking in the first half last week was average, but in general he's always been a serviceable kick so not worried about that. His defensive pressure was really good.

Big opportunity for him today. Deliver another 30 touch, six tackle game and it'll be very hard to give him a run.
Don't get me wrong i think on form he should be given an inside mid job in the seniors.
Pure mid relief for Neale and Dunkley with some odd times on the field the same time as them.
However, that has not happened.

While Doedee hasn't played, we've essentially lost three of our starting 7 defenders including most of our run and line breaking. The coaches would've went into the season with a certain defensive and transition game plan in mind that essentially needs to be heavily re-worked within a month of the season starting.

Don't get me wrong i think on form he should be given an inside mid job in the seniors.
Pure mid relief for Neale and Dunkley with some odd times on the field the same time as them.
Likewise I'm surprised Tunstill hasn't been given a shot this year.

He's improved and earnt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure he'd earned it yet. If he delivers in the VFL this morning, it'll be hard to say he hasn't earned a call up.

If we play Lyons as a pure mid, we put the runners around him. Bailey and Dunkley are supposed to be quick, but they are too often out bodied and then standing flat footed watching opponents run the ball out of the middle. The idea with Lyons is that he is more likely to win the contest than Bailey ever will or Dunkley currently does.

Absolutely agree.

Charlie, Daniher & Hipwood need to stop playing behind their man trying to take speccies and offer our mids a lead.
Basic U12’s message. Mentioned it to my forwards yesterday afternoon at training. Used Charlie Cameron as an example.

Lester was the only guy that didn't fumble last night. Always felt safe when he was near it.
He is a gun footballer. His technique on the ground, by foot and by hand is perfect. He should be giving Payne lessons, but Payne is the big contract, bigger money defender, so what could he learn from Lester? After all, he hasn’t got time to learn from Lester, because he’s too busy drinking his own bath water.

I’m surprised more people aren’t a bit more positive after last night. It really came down to finishing. We had so many more opportunities than the pies and kept them scoreless for a quarter.

I’m surprised more people aren’t a bit more positive after last night. It really came down to finishing. We had so many more opportunities than the pies and kept them scoreless for a quarter.
When you don't finish as we did that's mentally draining isn't it.

We basically dominated the second quarter and at the end was deflated with the outcome.

Especially once they were able to slot them from anywhere.

I’ve got a new plan for next year. Do not play any tall forwards until May when the humidity drops and they actually mark the ball. Play a all small forward line and keep the inside 50 balls low and chaotic.

The effort is there and then the effort isn't there. We have played one good qtr in each of our games. Problem is we are letting teams dominate for too long a period.

We just can't stop teams when they get a run on. Second qtr we dominated but didn't put the score on the board because our inside 50 entires consist of bomb to a tall and hope they mark in a pack of six. When will we learn or instruct Daniher and Hipwood to lead out of the square. The one time Daniher did it he kicked a goal!!

Hippy had one of the worst individual games I can remember last night. Must have dropped 5 marks and had no impact. He isn't a pack mark. He is a lean quick forward who needs to be on the lead. He actually should be dropped for Morris next week. Fagan needs to stop excusing poor performances and make a statement.

No idea what has happened to Charlie. Looks bored or lost his edge. My biggest issue with Charlie is the work rate and lack of defensive pressure. I haven't seen him lay many tackles this year if at all? If you can't kick goals, at least offer defensive intent.

Credit to Rayner and Berry who were much better last night - amazing what an improved work rate will do for your game. However, one of my fave players Zac Bailey has been awful this year. This is a guy with huge amount of skill but still manages to get caught holding the ball three times a game. It's a reflection on the coaching staff that he hasn't been taught to give the first option quicker or develop a left foot. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping him like Hippy. Needs a massive wake up call the boy.

Payne still worries me. I thought he looked good for most of last year but he has been bang average in two games.

Dev Robbo - the guy goes to ground more than Mitch Robinson. Needs to keep his feet. Fast running out of chances and I would make him sub next week and say to him barring an injury you play the last 40/45 mins and you need to get to every 50/50 midfield contest and offer run.

Fagan needs to stop the rot and drop some big names - Hippy and Bailey is a good start.

Back