Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I kind of thought that a HBF might be the best addition to the 23. I considered that Sinclair and NWM would be able to spend more time on the wing.
However watching the VFL game, i thought that McLennon looked a better prospect to play this week than Hastie.
But Hastie has talent so we'll see how he goes. I expect he'll start as sub.

Pick 33. The two players picked before him in Wilson Pick 18 and Collard Pick 28 have both debuted already

Pick 50

Pick 62

Yes I thought so too. But RTB has gone it would seem the player who is closest to being a winger.

The draft picks don't count for much once they get to an AFL club, it's how they perform when they get there.

Our best player now is Sinclair who was a rookie draft selection and has outperformed Billings and Gresham who we have traded.

I don't think RTB would have picked Hastie as he is a higher draft pick, he's picked him as he thinks he is the best fit for the role we need.

Last edited:
The draft picks don't count for much once they get to an AFL club, it's how they perform when they get there.

Our best player now is Sinclair who was was a rookie draft selection and has outperformed Billings and Gresham who we have traded.

I don't think RTB would have picked Hastie as he is a higher draft pick, he's picked him as he thinks he is the best fit for the role we need.

I did not say or infer at all that RTB was basing selections on draft order. My point about the post that I had replied to was that Hastie is not a left field Rookie selection. Why do you believe that Hastie is a Rookie, or a Left Field Selection? Talent wise he is up there and he is certainly not a Rookie Pick, and needs wise he suits this weeks selection needs. So given our options available this week, and his selection video he is not a left field selection either.

Once a player is at the club they all have a chance to shine when opportunities present, and their form warrants it. It is up to them to do the hard yards and to do what the coaches are asking for.

Wingers run a lot. This week RTB+Co wanted more run to cover this position, and so Hastie who is a good running player has been given a chance to shine this week.

It is good that we are rotating our new recruits through the team as opportunities arise.

Picking Hastie is clearly a needs-based pick rather than plucking best available. We lose a bit of outside class with Wood and Henry so he's the closest to that profile. Good ball user, fast and has a nice step with good composure. Loved to burn Arie of the ball last weekend too so will be good they aren't playing in the same team this weekend:laughing:

Arie racks up the disposals and is a good user, but still probably a bit slow and can do with a bit more confidence overhead and by foot. Can see him coming in if we decide to drop Bonner at any point.
Garcia is a tackling machine and probably a bit too inside to replace one of our outs. Hastie is a better sub than Garcia imo.
McLennan probs just doesn't fit in the side atm and wasn't impressive enough to demand a spot when we don't need his skillset.

Was actually hoping we'd see a surprise Hotton debut but I guess thats just wishful thinking until he shows some signs at VFL level

Picking Hastie is clearly a needs-based pick rather than plucking best available. We lose a bit of outside class with Wood and Henry so he's the closest to that profile. Good ball user, fast and has a nice step with good composure. Loved to burn Arie of the ball last weekend too so will be good they aren't playing in the same team this weekend:laughing:

Arie racks up the disposals and is a good user, but still probably a bit slow and can do with a bit more confidence overhead and by foot. Can see him coming in if we decide to drop Bonner at any point.
Garcia is a tackling machine and probably a bit too inside to replace one of our outs. Hastie is a better sub than Garcia imo.
McLennan probs just doesn't fit in the side atm and wasn't impressive enough to demand a spot when we don't need his skillset.

Was actually hoping we'd see a surprise Hotton debut but I guess thats just wishful thinking until he shows some signs at VFL level

I was disappointed with Hotton last weekend.

Agree, and Arie's tank is not up to wing play at AFL level just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard he had an illness, who knows?

Yeah I heard he had an illness but he should still be OK for Saturday.

With our luck though it will probably be announced tomorrow that he has Ebola with no return date.

Neither is Hastie.
But he might free up NWM and Sinclai to play there.
He'll probably be sub anyway, that seems to be the way Ross likes to blood the rookies. Sucks for the family but makes sense otherwise.

I'd say he's in for his ability to play wing and tactical nous, or even his "coachability".

Interesting that the coaches/selectors rated Hastie's game over others. To me he was servicable without being outstanding, but I guess they want to reward the young players for differing reasons.

I kind of thought that a HBF might be the best addition to the 23. I considered that Sinclair and NWM would be able to spend more time on the wing.
However watching the VFL game, i thought that McLennon looked a better prospect to play this week than Hastie.
But Hastie has talent so we'll see how he goes. I expect he'll start as sub.
Oh the same opinion as both. Thought he was decent. But definitely not a standout and I wasn’t watching that game last week thinking he was going to debut.

But go well kid. Show the world what you are all about
On channel 7 they were suggesting that Steele might be carrying an injury as well. Does anyone know what’s wrong with him?
Has a virus. They just lightened his load. If he was ****ed. He wouldn’t have been in the track.

The 2022 draft crop are a concern apart from Mattaes
Hotton is the one. This week should have been tailor made for a game.

Van es unlucky with injuries. Just can’t get a crack. They like what he brings when he does.

Keeler needs more time.

Hotton is the one. This week should have been tailor made for a game.

Van es unlucky with injuries. Just can’t get a crack. They like what he brings when he does.

Keeler needs more time.
Excuse the ignorance - what is Hottons position?

I’m hanging out for Dow. Think he’s the one we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back