Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plays inside midfield at VFL level but can also play half forward
Believe that more development/necessity.

He is a half forward wing.

He doesn’t crack the starting onball rotation at Sandy if we have 40 fit players

The 2022 draft crop are a concern apart from Mattaes

Sorry mate I can't agree with this. I absolutely rate Keeler, Van Es and the rookie Gus. Hotton currently looking like he might not make it, but he is also coming back from a bad injury so jury is out.

Remember these kids have had their development stunted by covid. But Keels and Van Es are talls, who take longer than a good mid. I hope we give those guys the time they'll need - I am actually pretty bullish about those two, unless you know something I dont. Van Es is our big defensive hope, his body is the only thing that will kill his career. But Keels, let's just say I've never seen a tall so clean below his knees. He has very quick hands and is a great kick with agility - he has literally all the tools to make it.

Sorry mate I can't agree with this. I absolutely rate Keeler, Van Es and the rookie Gus. Hotton currently looking like he might not make it, but he is also coming back from a bad injury so jury is out.

Remember these kids have had their development stunted by covid. But Keels and Van Es are talls, who take longer than a good mid. I hope we give those guys the time they'll need - I am actually pretty bullish about those two, unless you know something I dont. Van Es is our big defensive hope, his body is the only thing that will kill his career. But Keels, let's just say I've never seen a tall so clean below his knees. He has very quick hands and is a great kick with agility - he has literally all the tools to make it.
I think mikes point is that it’s concerning that we have seen the 2021 crop.

2023 will be 3/5 with the other 2 close at round 3 of the 24’ season.

We are 1/4 of the 22’ draft crop.

Believe that more development/necessity.

He is a half forward wing.

He doesn’t crack the starting onball rotation at Sandy if we have 40 fit players
He's never played wing in his life. At U18s he was a half fwd and really pushed for first round pick status when he started playing inside midfield.

Apple Smash GIF by Yahoo Screen

No Wood, Henry, King, Crouch, Webster, and an unwell Steele who probably lightly underperforms as players tend to do when they are/have been unwell in the days leading up to the match.

That's a lot of missing talent.

Makes this game more interesting than I'd like it to be.
They're also missing Wright, Ridley, Shiel (worth 1st round pick) while Setterfield and McGrath have been under injury clouds this week. Parish also just returning from injury too.

Main thing is that Bombers like to play fast which completely suits our game too. We'd have to play really poor to lose this match because they haven't been able to defend fast ball movement the past couple of weeks

They're also missing Wright, Ridley, Shiel (worth 1st round pick) while Setterfield and McGrath have been under injury clouds this week. Parish also just returning from injury too.

Main thing is that Bombers like to play fast which completely suits our game too. We'd have to play really poor to lose this match because they haven't been able to defend fast ball movement the past couple of weeks
I think this game is more danger than many think….Bombers can score quickly…Stringer saves his days out for us often ….I suspect they’ll target Nas etc who they know we like to use often …2 rucks to work Marshall over and stretch us going forward….i hope we belt them but I think it’s a tough one tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B. Wilkie Cordy Hastie
H.B. Bonner Battle NWM
C. Wilson Windhager Byrnes
H.F. Owens Caminiti Butler
F. Sharman Membrey Higgins
Foll. Marshall Steele Sinclair
I/C. Phillipou, Ross, Stocker, Hill, Jones-sub

I think this game is more danger than many think….Bombers can score quickly…Stringer saves his days out for us often ….I suspect they’ll target Nas etc who they know we like to use often …2 rucks to work Marshall over and stretch us going forward….i hope we belt them but I think it’s a tough one tbh
Bombers can score quickly but so can we. Our defense is still strong, while theirs has been susceptible to fast ball movement.

If they target Nas then Sinclair and Bonner will get off the chain. Not a problem.

Marshall is the fittest ruck in the comp, he's not gonna get overworked by an underdone Draper and 35 yr old Goldstein.

Will be a tough game, but most signs point towards us winning so we just need the boys to show up and get the job done.

It’ll be interesting to see who gets the midfield minutes of Jones is the sub. Someone will need to be the fourth mid. Seems like they’ve realised Phillipou isn’t there. Would have to be either Sinclair or Owens you’d think. Or Byrnes if Hastie is going to play on a wing.

Byrnes, Hill & Wilson on the wings. Hastie played his junior footy as defender. Frees up Sinclair to play mid.
Yes he played juniors as a defender but he played on the wing in the VFL last weekend and Batch literally says in the video that Hastie will play wing to replace Wood.

If Hastie isn't the sub, then it'll be Jones which would mean Byrnes would play more inside anyway so there would still be space for Hastie on the wing.

Yes he played juniors as a defender but he played on the wing in the VFL last weekend and Batch literally says in the video that Hastie will play wing to replace Wood.

If Hastie isn't the sub, then it'll be Jones which would mean Byrnes would play more inside anyway so there would still be space for Hastie on the wing.
Best interceptor defender in the nab league last year. He plays on a small forward me thinks.

I think they summed it up well on the unpluggered podcast, we're right on the edge of what we can handle injury wise. A first gamer coming in shows that. We will still put out a decent side but we are very vulnerable especially without King.

I think they summed it up well on the unpluggered podcast, we're right on the edge of what we can handle injury wise. A first gamer coming in shows that. We will still put out a decent side but we are very vulnerable especially without King.
Caminiti replaced King with aplomb last year, think we will be fine. Cordy not having to play on Wright is the more important piece.

Caminiti replaced King with aplomb last year, think we will be fine. Cordy not having to play on Wright is the more important piece.
Wright has gotten hold of us in past and with 2 rucks could’ve really stretched us down back so that helps a lot. Parish back helps their mids (from injury or now) will need another manic Windhager / Byrnes effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back