Toast Round 3 = Brisbane Lions 72-92 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if he shares credit with the psych for this renewed assertiveness.

Yeah possibly, I don't know. Maybe knows our system better and when to back himself in more with development from coaches and team mates.
Iirc someone mentioned Murphy has been helping out the fringe players with this part of their games.

He's also improved his 1v1 game a bit more which is great to see.

We've had several fails in the top 10-20 picks.
You could even include Grundy as a fail. He was ok for a couple of years..
Schultz was a very shrewd pick. Elite in most areas of his game.

The only failure for Grundy was the club paying him 1 million a season which forced him out the club and then the shithouse trade we got for him.

I wonder if he shares credit with the psych for this renewed assertiveness.
group therapy issues GIF by South Park

I've helped Billy - I can help Wordlers :)

The only failure for Grundy was the club paying him 1 million a season which forced him out the club and then the shithouse trade we got for him.
Yeah he's such a great player. Please spare me..
Prefer Cox or Cameron

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could even include Grundy as a fail. He was ok for a couple of years..
lmao no you couldn’t. The only fail was the ridiculous contract we gave him.

A huge fail. A great first rounder should do around 10 good years.
He was drafted in 2012 and left in 2022. Exactly one decade of service. Grundy won no less than two best and fairest and was an AA twice. He played in a Grand Final and finals campaigns in 2018-2020. You couldn’t ask much more from a player.

You mightn’t like the way he left or the price we got but he was far from a bust.

We won a flag which ultimately is all that matters, however I think we may have made a mistake delisting Bianco and Ruscoe in particular. We don't have a mountain of young talent coming through and reckon Ruscoe in particular could've pushed selection this year

Here are a few data points …

(1) Start of 2023 we pick up Oleg Markov in SSP, and trade in Frampton for late third round pick.

(2) During 2023 Markov and Frampton get games ahead of Ruscoe

(3) End of 2023 Ruscoe is delisted along with Bianco

(4) We elevate Markov and Steene to the primary list. We didn’t have to do that. IIRC we’ve never elevated a rookie we didn’t need to before?

(5) We bring on Sullivan, Eyre and Bytel in the SSP. (More players than we picked up in the draft)

Maybe the club now has a preference of topping up with mature players to get them to play system, in preference to punting on 18 year olds?

Moving Grundy on made sense given the ridiculous contract, but saying he was a fail at pick 18 is actually beyond belief. Like I literally can't fathom somebody who is able to type coherent sentences having such a braindead opinion.
Grundy wasn't a fail - Collingwood's contract management was though

(1) Start of 2023 we pick up Oleg Markov in SSP, and trade in Frampton for late third round pick.

(4) We elevate Markov and Steene to the primary list. We didn’t have to do that. IIRC we’ve never elevated a rookie we didn’t need to before?

(5) We bring on Sullivan, Eyre and Bytel in the SSP. (More players than we picked up in the draft)

Maybe the club now has a preference of topping up with mature players to get them to play system, in preference to punting on 18 year olds?
We do have a new preference. Kelly mentioned this last year. Don’t remember where.

I don’t know the pick but statistically, after a certain number, you’re better off not drafting than drafting. SSP is smarter anyway as we give players a trial period to see who can cope and who cannot.

The majority of late picks either end up delisted within four years or have issues like off-field or injury which is why they slid in the first place.

I think there's a couple of factors.

The SSP players being a bit older is helpful for our current list demographic if we want to stay up the ladder - if they kick on, we'll be replacing our oldies with mature bodies rather than 20 year olds.

Plus by having them audition for a preseason they have heaps more knowledge to make a good decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back