Review Round 23 = Collingwood 100-124 Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not once in my life have I watched a replay of a loss.
It would do my head in.
I am a bit like you although if there have been dubious umpiring decisions, I have forced myself with fast rewind ready.

I’m always a positive supporter and always will be, home qualifying final at the G no matter where we finish now just a different day. I think we will beat Essendon comfortably as they have looked cooked the last 3 weeks and if they didnt play north and west coast they would have lost them all.
pumped for finals footy again and we will see the first 19 rounds Collingwood in September

We are in a very strange situation so late in the season sitting on top of the ladder but not really knowing what our best 23 looks like.

Are we one ruck or two? If one, is it Cameron or Cox? If two, Who is the No1? If Cox or Cameron goes out, is it Reef, AJ or Kruger to replace him? Is Howe a forward or back? Will we keep playing both Mitchell and Adams? Is Pendles a mid or a half-back? Is Ginni in our Best 23? Is Markov in our Best 23? Is Lipinski in our Best 23?

So close to finals and It all feels very unsettled.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are in a very strange situation so late in the season sitting on top of the ladder but not really knowing what our best 23 looks like.

Are we one ruck or two? If one, is it Cameron or Cox? If two, Who is the No1? If Cox or Cameron goes out, is it Reef, AJ or Kruger to replace him? Is Howe a forward or back? Will we keep playing both Mitchell and Adams? Is Pendles a mid or a half-back? Is Ginni in our Best 23? Is Markov in our Best 23? Is Lipinski in our Best 23?

Dees have been similar with the Grundy Gawn situation mate. Bris have been settled but they have yet again been blessed by injury gods bar the loss of Ashcroft

does anyone think the dees with petracca, Oliver, May and say Pickett out would beat bris? I don’t. That’s very similar to what we were missing, compounded by the Murphy injury and early sub of Ryan
But we may be in roughly the same position if Moore and Daicos aren't available until the preliminary or grand final, both short of match practice at best. You also ignore the recent losses and the numerous players out of form, along with teams having worked out how to beat us. Plus I don't think the early subbing out of Ryan in any way affected our chances of winning the game - if anything, his loss improved us.

But we may be in roughly the same position if Moore and Daicos aren't available until the preliminary or grand final, both short of match practice at best. You also ignore the recent losses and the numerous players out of form, along with teams having worked out how to beat us. Plus I don't think the early subbing out of Ryan in any way affected our chances of winning the game - if anything, his loss improved us.
And most people also ignore that all the current top 4 teams have not been playing amazing footy. There’s no geel of 2022 this season.

Can bris improve from fri with players returning? No. We can.

I'll say this again. This has all to do with our July training load.
Designed to build fitness before the finals. We were afforded this luxury as we were comfortably on top.
Wade used to do this with the Rabbitohs and they would often lose a couple of games before finals and become eventual premiers.
Come finals time all guns blazing.
Our manic game will be back for those last few.

Teams that are either fighting for a top 4 or to stay in the 8 cannot afford to do a training load.
Hence we will be fitter at the pointy end of the season.
Players have been experiencing heavy legs after this method.

Wade and Fly will prove to be genius.
Geez I hope you're right.

This sounds like a concession that we're not the best team in it, we were earlier in the year.

You're correct in the list we have is certainly not the best in it too.

You give the impression if we don't win the flag then 'just enjoy what we have achieved anyway' - yeah that's not gonna fly.

The whole point of the competition is to be better than your competition, no point being better when it doesn't count, need to win flags, that's the end game.

Expecting supporters to be 'happy with what we've achieved' just won't sit.

We need to flag before the blose and the bomb outs do, that is absolutely essential.

So I'm gonna kindly ask you to respect other fans views of what and what is not satisfactory
Two flags in 65 years.
It's a hard gig following this team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teaming up with CoD. That’s an interesting strategy Cotton. Let’s see how it works out for you.

For the whole of McRae’s tenure, the team has regularly changed gears in game. To win. That’s a change.

At least 5 clubs? We have only lost to four all year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bring back Buckley hahahahaha

I can understand some fans being optimistic and using the injury excuse with the loss.

Fair enough.

I would be the same if the Pies lost to was a non contender... or even someone like the Bulldogs, Crows or the bottom team West Coast.

The fact is.... Brisbane has owned Collingwood for the last 4 years. Look at the record. Ever since Fagan got there, the Lions have been a top 4 team and have demolished the Magpies with Buckley or McCrae.
Reminds me of 2011 when Pies trashed all teams and had 2 losses... and that 2 losses was against Cats. Cats made it 3 in a row that year by belting the Pies in the final.

Deny it, run away from it... but fact is, Lions have the Pies number, fit or injured... don't matter, Lions get their points up more efficiently and easier than the Pies can.

Truth to be told, only 2 teams really scare me this season.... Lions is one... Demons is the other. But even now, my most hated team Carlton is starting to make me worried.

I truly wish Pies can skip Lions and Demons in the finals but the thought of losing to either on the big day is also a nightmare.
Losing to anyone on the big day is a nightmare.
In Pies we trust.....

Mental fortitude is developed... I would not write them off the MCG. Only team I am confident that would match or beat them in the MCG is Demons. Against Pies it's 50/50.

With that said, Carlton has been getting nice calls from umpires the last month and they looked real good against Pies....

All I'm saying is Pies form of late is far from premiership and Lions are ticking all the boxes.

We don't know if Brisbane have developed the mental fortitude to win big finals. They could very well slip up in Week 1 of the finals, like other top sides have done, and the finals set up turns on it's head.

Pies have lost the ability to defend the ground, combine that with what seems like a lack of appetite for the contest and we are where we are.

Friday night seemed like a pre season game. Both sides kicking 100 points with minimal care for the defensive side of the game.

I think people are reading too much into this game.It wasn’t a finals type game with intense pressure,there was actually little pressure from both sides throughout the game.It was an old fashioned shoot out,more like a round one game than a finals game.I really don’t think the score line is going to be 19 goals to 15,should we play the Lions again in the finals.

It was nothing like the Port Adelaide game a month ago,which was played with intense pressure right throughout the game.Now that was more like a finals game,and we prevailed in the end,on their ground in conditions that didn’t suit us at all.

This is not to say we don’t have problems.Of course we do.The defence is leaking like a sieve,and almost all of our defenders are badly out of form.Hopefully this can be rectified by the finals and they get back to how they were playing earlier in the season.We really won’t know if this a a temporary lapse in form or something more lasting until we play that first qualifying final.Thankfully it’s at the MCG and not at Marvel!

Last edited:
Fact is…we finish top 2. Anything is possible from there.

Yep, week 1 of finals and what’s happened in the H&A season becomes meaningless. Only advantage to finishing top 4 is the double chance, only advantage of finishing top 2 is home finals and strip.

I'll say this again. This has all to do with our July training load.
Designed to build fitness before the finals. We were afforded this luxury as we were comfortably on top.
Wade used to do this with the Rabbitohs and they would often lose a couple of games before finals and become eventual premiers.
Come finals time all guns blazing.
Our manic game will be back for those last few.

Teams that are either fighting for a top 4 or to stay in the 8 cannot afford to do a training load.
Hence we will be fitter at the pointy end of the season.
Players have been experiencing heavy legs after this method.

Wade and Fly will prove to be genius.

The Rabbitohs haven't won a premiership since 2014 when Wade was still at Essendon. Unless you mean 2021 when they were runners up?

Edit my bad I am 6 pages behind and didn't realise someone has already pointed it out

Two months ago I thought it was a strength that we had so many unanswered questions and that we still had so much improvement in us once we settled on our best lineup. There's even more questions now than there was then. It's definitely concerning.

My answers would be:

One ruck, Cox.

Out of the three players you mentioned, I'd choose AJ. But unfortunately we haven't had a good enough look at a Mihocek/McStay/AJ forward line which is pretty frustrating.

I think in this team now, Howe is probably a forward although may need to play back next week if Murphy is out. But does he offer more than AJ?
The defensive pressure in our forward line is better with Howe and he can obviously still have an impact in the air too. He's definitely better when the ball hits the ground but I think AJ is much more dangerous leading at the ball. I love Howe but no longer think he should be an automatic selection.

I think we'll probably keep playing Mitchell and Adams. I can't see Fly dropping Tay, even though I'm curious to see what that setup would look like. As frustrating as he can be, I think Adams has had a pretty good year playing that half forward/mid role.

Pendles a mid.

Ginni in the 23.

Markov in the 23 till Nick comes back. Once Nick is back, if we have a full list he may get left out. It depends how he plays between now and then.

They'll probably keep picking Lipinski. He was good against Geelong but that's the only good game he's played since coming back from injury. With a full list I'm not sure he's in my 23. I'd like to see him dropped and have a massive game in the VFL wildcard match and force his way back into the team.

The other big question is Frampton's place in the side, or whether he should be selected at all. I'd like to see Ruscoe selected against Essendon.

I'd rate Moore, DeGoey, Nick and Murphy as four of our top ten most important players, so it's hard to lock down the team with those guys out.

Is my memory re-writing history or was the game on Friday a bit like the State of Origin games where it's more attack than defense? Desperately clinging to the hope that we just aren't trying that hard/we're still bottoming out on this bloody training block.

Even Maynard was one of our furtherest runners on Friday. Usually he's nowhere near it.

Is my memory re-writing history or was the game on Friday a bit like the State of Origin games where it's more attack than defense? Desperately clinging to the hope that we just aren't trying that hard/we're still bottoming out on this bloody training block.

Even Maynard was one of our furtherest runners on Friday. Usually he's nowhere near it.
I don't know that we were trying our hardest. We persisted with Howe forward even with Murphy down, which signalled to me that we were preparing for September and trying to get him some form there (for when Murphy & Moore are all fit).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back