Review Round 4 = Brisbane Lions 116-83 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, he was up in Queensland on the weekend; so if he’s flying up (presumably with the team, but either way) it bodes well for his health/recovery.

I’ve reiterated previously that he didn’t have a “ruptured spleen”, and air travel is further proof that it wasn’t as serious as that.

Fingers crossed.

Anzac Day is still more than two weeks away,so he could be a possibility for that…..hopefully.

Fly’s comments didn’t make it sound very likely, but context clues look good so hopefully ANZAC Day hasn’t been categorically ruled out yet. Having Cox in for one of the next two strong opponents would certainly help.

The ruck was not the problem. This was the big issue from Thursday.

3. MAGPIES WOES

Craig McRae’s biggest headache was not the ruck problem.

The issue which will top his whiteboard this week was Collingwood’s turnover woes from Thursday night’s loss to Brisbane.

The Lions slayed the Magpies in the turnover game at the Gabba, scoring 43 more points than McRae’s men in this area.

That is the worst turnover differential Collingwood has recorded under McRae since he took over from Nathan Buckley last year.

It will be the focus this week as the Magpies attempt to get back on the winner’s list against a much-improved St Kilda in Adelaide.

The Magpies used Dan McStay and Billy Frampton in the ruck and won the centre clearances 15-12.

But it wasn’t the hit-outs that was the problem, it was what happened on the turnover.

Collingwood ventured north up to Brisbane to discover if they could continue their golden run against the Brisbane Lions, who were under siege for the entire build-up leading into the game at the Gabba. After an impressive start from the Magpies, the Lions took complete control of the contest after quarter time to diminish and overpower the Pies by 33 points. The opening term saw both sides exchange goals, and Collingwood were able to play ground level footy for the majority of the quarter to score their goals. In the second quarter, the Woods lost territory and scoreboard dominance by significant margins with a lack of aerial strength in the ruck and up forward proving to be telling. For much of the third term, the Lions continued on their merry way, until a couple of late goals from the Magpies saw them stay within range at the last change. In the last quarter, everything had to be perfect for Collingwood to come from behind and win, which they were not able to do for the entire quarter, as Brisbane had all the answers to every challenge that the Magpies posed on the scoreboard to close out the contest, and hand Collingwood their first defeat of the season. Collingwood's ball use and conversion in front of goal proved to be very costly.

Collingwood gained the ascendancy in statistical categories such as disposals by +23 (367 - 344), +41 for handballs (170 - 129), uncontested possessions had a differential of +42 (232 - 190), while intercept possessions were won by +10 (75 - 65). Centre clearances were up by +3 (15 - 12), tackles had an advantage of +22 (65 - 43), contested marks were won by +3 (10 - 7), and there was a buffer of +3 for Inside 50s (57 - 54). Brisbane won their key statistical indicators through kicks by +18 (215 - 197), contested possessions were won narrowly by +1 (137 - 136), while hit-outs had a decisive gap of +24 (47 - 23), +9 for clearances (46 - 37), with stoppage clearances won by +12 (34 - 22). Tackles Inside 50 had a differential of +3 (10 - 7), marks were won by +1 (87 - 86), with uncontested marks up by +4 (80 - 76), and Marks Inside 50 were claimed by +6 (16 - 10).

Scott Pendlebury (26 disposals @ 88%, 394 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 15 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 9 score involvements, 5 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) stood up when the chips were down by creating numerous scoring opportunities through the midfield, and generated territory with clearances.

Josh Daicos (23 disposals @ 78%, 452 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 7 score involvements, 2 clearances & 4 Inside 50s) kept linking up play on the wing and staying involved in scoring chains, while having a stint or two in the centre square as a midfield rotation.

Jordan De Goey (21 disposals @ 62%, 425 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 10 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 6 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) contributed by winning his own ball from centre bounces and stoppages, clearing the ball from congestion and creating territory for his team in the forward half.

Nick Daicos (38 disposals @ 76%, 633 metres gained, 16 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 20 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 12 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 2 goals) was superb and prolific with his ball use and creativity, especially when he rolled up from defence to attack where he had a significant impact in a losing cause.

Brayden Maynard (25 disposals @ 76%, 582 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 7 Rebound 50s) was stoic as always behind the ball with intercept and rebound work at a high level, while producing territory with each kick coming out of defence.

John Noble (19 disposals @ 74%, 498 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 7 Rebound 50s) maintained his composure under pressure by hitting most of his targets coming out of defence, while his want to roll up offensively and aggressively continues to give opponents nightmares when he is lurking across half-forward.

Nathan Murphy (14 disposals @ 79%, 368 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 3 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) played his role well without being special. Murphy took a handful of marks and looked to maintain possession by foot or kick long to a contest where there would be teammates looking to bring the ball down to ground.

Taylor Adams (17 disposals @ 59%, 201 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 9 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was lively early on in the game, before drifting completely out of it after quarter time.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (15 disposals @ 73%, 234 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 5 tackles & 3 score involvements) provided a leading target on the wing from half-forward before looking to play on continously.

Jamie Elliott (13 disposals @ 38%, 199 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 6 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) got enough looks at goal, but was extremely wasteful by missing every shot at goal, which was highly uncharacteristic.

Brody Mihocek (13 disposals @ 69%, 241 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 8 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 goals) was the pick of Collingwood's forwards on the night. Mihocek single-handedly got the Magpies back into the contest with a sublime quarter where he kicked all of his three goals in the third term to give the team some hope, before everything became futile and fruitless.

Ash Johnson (12 disposals @ 75%, 162 metres gained, 2 hit-outs, 7 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 4 contested marks, 4 tackles, 7 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided one of the very few aerial threats that Collingwood had up forward, before chipping in at ruck contests when Daniel McStay wasn't competing in the ruck himself. Johnson was lively in everything he did and achieved, without maximum impact.

Bobby Hill (10 disposals @ 80%, 302 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 7 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) ignited the fire early on to inspire the Magpies, before supply and opportunities dried up to render him and the team ineffectual of the desired outcome.

Collingwood's next game will be against St Kilda on April 16 at the Adelaide Oval. High stakes game, this contest will be. It is imperative that the Magpies make it a ground level game for as long as possible and use it to outnumber the Saints at these groundball contests. Fixing conversion on the scoreboard will also need to addressed to allow the Woods to have the wood over the Saints and get back into the top four in Adelaide.

I'd argue it was both. Ruck had an impact on territory meaning we were trying to transition from defence a lot, thus when we turned it over it was in a dangerous spot. But the biggest impact was that we turned it over a lot, partially because we were sloppy but they were also on and were able to shut down the handball receiver.

I'd argue it was both. Ruck had an impact on territory meaning we were trying to transition from defence a lot, thus when we turned it over it was in a dangerous spot. But the biggest impact was that we turned it over a lot, partially because we were sloppy but they were also on and were able to shut down the handball receiver.
We definitely turned it over a lot, and then were punished for it going the other way. Hopefully they fix that up. Felt very uncharacteristic.

We definitely turned it over a lot, and then were punished for it going the other way. Hopefully they fix that up. Felt very uncharacteristic.
It'll be interesting. I think we had a bad night with our ball handling. But we've looked so good that everyone is going to be onto our transition style and planning to shut it down like Brissy did. Hopefully it holds up and was just a bad night from us.

I felt we turned the ball over by hand way too much, some occasions due to poor handball execution and others just plain poor handling. Lions pressure was great and their not allowing us to get a player out meant we handballed way too often often ending in an error.
Also the field position of many of our turnovers was quite central, some of our running backs may have been surging forward to overlap ( hard to tell on TV ) meaning space behind. Turnover relaticley close to Brisbane goal, space behind the turnover and you are going to get hurt by quality forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, he was up in Queensland on the weekend; so if he’s flying up (presumably with the team, but either way) it bodes well for his health/recovery.

I’ve reiterated previously that he didn’t have a “ruptured spleen”, and air travel is further proof that it wasn’t as serious as that.

Fingers crossed.
A ruptured spleen wouldn't surprise me. Poor man's already lost half his eyesight to the football field. We've had blokes with fileted feet and shoulder and knees held together with super glue. A spleen would seem very normal by comparison.

He looked in pretty good nick when the interviewer brushed past a week after the injury, at the footy.

The other issue is we didn’t have Cameron and Cox as bail out targets down the line and McStay’s effectiveness in this aspect is reduced when he’s forced to play ruck.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis on First Crack.
Kingy saying outnumber to win ground ball is the new focus for the best teams - and that’s why Coll excel.
Then in explaining BNE’s win, Montagna, focuses on the EXCEPTION - where despite the Coll outnumber, BNE win a contest and score.

So effectively BNE have unlocked nothing - they just had more luck in winning ground ball in circumstances where they would normally lose the contest.
Montagna to his credit, did recognize this and reiterated, that it’s still going be very hard for teams to cope with the Coll outnumber - implying BNE were a little lucky.

Based on this analysis I don’t think we need to change much, because our fumbling and poor kicking is what really cost us.

Interesting analysis on First Crack.
Kingy saying outnumber to win ground ball is the new focus for the best teams - and that’s why Coll excel.
Then in explaining BNE’s win, Montagna, focuses on the EXCEPTION - where despite the Coll outnumber, BNE win a contest and score.

So effectively BNE have unlocked nothing - they just had more luck in winning ground ball in circumstances where they would normally lose the contest.
Montagna to his credit, did recognize this and reiterated, that it’s still going be very hard for teams to cope with the Coll outnumber - implying BNE were a little lucky.

Based on this analysis I don’t think we need to change much, because our fumbling and poor kicking is what really cost us.
Interesting - I don't mind David King. I would hope that Fly et al ignore any suggestion of BNE being "lucky" and just go the "hard analysis" of why we lost - in trying to improve ourselves we cannot allow the luck factor to intrude

Interesting - I don't mind David King. I would hope that Fly et al ignore any suggestion of BNE being "lucky" and just go the "hard analysis" of why we lost - in trying to improve ourselves we cannot allow the luck factor to intrude
Luck was my interpretation- because they were showing vision of BNE scoring from contests were they were outnumbered (and normally would lose the contest), so it’s not a reliable strategy to beat us.

I think our turnovers were also largely due to our structure up forward being fractured by 2 of our forwards spending so much time in the ruck.

We looked all over the shop. We also gave away stupid frees for not being set up in the 6/6/6 formation.

Frampton in the ruck this week will solve this imho

I think our turnovers were also largely due to our structure up forward being fractured by 2 of our forwards spending so much time in the ruck.

We looked all over the shop. We also gave away stupid frees for not being set up in the 6/6/6 formation.

Frampton in the ruck this week will solve this imho
Don't know if it was the case, but it felt like we had fewer numbers ahead of the ball than the previous weeks - which would hav increased congestion and thus pressure on our runners.

Don't know if it was the case, but it felt like we had fewer numbers ahead of the ball than the previous weeks - which would hav increased congestion and thus pressure on our runners.
It’s one of the reasons I’d like Ginni back in. He’s good in a contest deep and kicks goals.

It'll be interesting. I think we had a bad night with our ball handling. But we've looked so good that everyone is going to be onto our transition style and planning to shut it down like Brissy did. Hopefully it holds up and was just a bad night from us.
1681117063514.png

I hope you're right, it is risky for the opposing team because it means they have to 'leave man' to intercept that handball chain- if they don't intercept then we expose them with Fly's paddock forward of the ball. If they don't take the risk we just blow em into the weeds anyway and have space forward of the ball regardless.

I do worry that the more skilled teams will be execute this against us though, maybe bris just couldn't do wrong, I'm hoping it's a 'one off'.

Fingers crossed.

Cox said on his podcast he had a lacerated spleen. He’s reiterated that on Instagram today

While a “lacerated spleen” would appear to be at the lower end of the “ruptured spleen” or splenic injury category, it can still take a long time to heal.

As fly said, he’s no chance to play in the next few weeks. Which means he’d need a miracle to play Anzac Day.

I’d be surprised if he came back before round 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cox said on his podcast he had a lacerated spleen. He’s reiterated that on Instagram today

While a “lacerated spleen” would appear to be at the lower end of the “ruptured spleen” or splenic injury category, it can still take a long time to heal.

As fly said, he’s no chance to play in the next few weeks. Which means he’d need a miracle to play Anzac Day.

I’d be surprised if he came back before round 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep lacerated is considerably better than ruptured. Time will tell. As I mentioned; if, as a professional athlete in-season, he’s opting for air travel in non-essential circumstances, his splenic health can not be too bad.

Yep lacerated is considerably better than ruptured. Time will tell. As I mentioned; if, as a professional athlete in-season, he’s opting for air travel in non-essential circumstances, his splenic health can not be too bad.
Are there any splenic photos to see how close the laceration came to being a rupture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back