Toast Round 3 = Brisbane Lions 72-92 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Important win

De Goey looked better, Elliot Mcreery and Hill were huge.

Midfield looked better without Nick Daicos dominating.

Pendles and Macrae were poor, we still need more speed in the midfield.

Frampton was good. Noble does some great things but 1 on 1 he’s exposed often.

Need to dump WHE
Reef was huge!!!!!!!!!!

It was our "home" ground for half of the 2020 season.
Generous. We played four home games there. Still has us at the pointy end of the list, and that’s without determining how many home games the others played.

Edit: Confirmed we’re still the team to have played the most away games there, tied with Adelaide. Certainly most home and away there as we’ve not played a final there and Adelaide played the 2003 semi there without me having to consult record books to confirm.

We were set up defensively really well. Biggest difference from the first couple weeks. The pressure and tackling was back as well.

Aside from 2nd qtr where we couldn’t get the ball out of defensive 50.

I had a sook after the first goal but after that we were genuinely pretty hard to score against at least from the defensive six.

Good point also by someone else on Reef, still think he will be Jamie’s replacement but tonight he played bigger at times when he had to. Which is what Ash struggled with

I won’t lie - I thought we would get towelled up tonight.

Tonight could be a performance for the ages. I was so proud watching the way we hung tough tonight and eventually got our rewards. I just hope that it’s not a fleeting moment where we react to criticism and a media bashing, but a launching pad for 2024.

Hawthorn next, who’ll likely be 0-3. The season starts next week.

I'm still not sure we have anyone in super form...Elliott, Maynard, Frampton, Noble, McReery all very good, Naicos was solid, a lot of contributors, no real stars.

Geez the tackling pressure was amazing though, wasn't it? Inspiring flagpies!!!

Last edited:
Important win

De Goey looked better, Elliot Mcreery and Hill were huge.

Midfield looked better without Nick Daicos dominating.

Pendles and Macrae were poor, we still need more speed in the midfield.

Frampton was good. Noble does some great things but 1 on 1 he’s exposed often.

Need to dump WHE
I didn’t think Macrae was that poor. He gets stuff all game time each week and looked like he was trying to impact the game. Showed some poise.

He was better than WHE and Shoota until Shoota moved into the middle.

I’d add that we didn’t miss Sidey at all and I don’t think he should return next week.

Jack crisp gets my 3 votes, 13 touches a goal 5 tackles and 4 clearances

Mcreery and frampton next

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t think Macrae was that poor. He gets stuff all game time each week and looked like he was trying to impact the game. Showed some poise.

I’d add that we didn’t miss Sidey at all and I don’t think he should return next week.

Didn’t miss Sidebottom one iota

Had far less turnovers as a result too

Was very frustrated to see Fin subbed off. At least give the kid some actual time to establish himself and stop expecting the world from him from limited opportunities

Sidey for Hoskin Elliot is a huge upgrade, WHE simply can’t damage the opposition doesn’t have the skills or composure

Didn’t miss Sidebottom one iota

Had far less turnovers as a result too

Was very frustrated to see Fin subbed off. At least give the kid some actual time to establish himself and stop expecting the world from him from limited opportunities
Subbing fin and putting crisp into the game was a big reason we won.

There’s a balance of playing kids and still winning games

Sidey for Hoskin Elliot is a huge upgrade, WHE simply can’t damage the opposition doesn’t have the skills or composure

So far in 2024, neither does Sidebottom

Let’s be real: they are both ageing veterans and I’d advocate that Macrae and one other midfielder are worth more.

However, I can almost guarantee you WHE will lineup again because he can run well and has the versatility be played all over the ground. Rated well, you know the drill. His time to go has come, as has Sidey, who literally played his Grand Final on Grand Final day and hasn’t been the same since.

I’d look at Macrae and Sullivan for the pair. Or try Harrison. Daicos and Lippa for the wings.

Daicos and noble off half back crucial for link up, noble is way more valuable then markov

Hoskin Elliot should probably never play again, degoey has looked horrible and even pendles making uncharacteristic mistakes tonight

Lot of room for improvement

That’s where you start to consider some of the kids or mature angers and repositioning of De Goey. Does JDG have more forward minutes for a Lachie Sullivan debut?

Don’t know what’s up with Pendles. He’s hot and cold these days.

Nick is back and he looked much better off HB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back