Toast Round 3 = Brisbane Lions 72-92 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Frampton has definitely found his spot down back.I don’t see him being moved from there for the rest of the season now.

Yep if he stays focused and keeps a tight check in his opponents then he'll keep getting a game. Still gets a bit lost on occasions but overall he played well tonight.

Daicos and noble off half back crucial for link up, noble is way more valuable then markov

Hoskin Elliot should probably never play again, degoey has looked horrible and even pendles making uncharacteristic mistakes tonight

Lot of room for improvement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
JDG a lot better tonight vs his other games this year

Was a bold move by McFly to drop Sidey and demote Crispy to the sub vest, but it did the trick and put everyone on notice that the season is on. I was not sure about the decision but it was a clear message and the players responded with a very strong defensive effort. Overall we were patchy at times, plenty of errors and that 2nd qtr was abysmal. After half time we were very good and looked more like our usual selves.

I won't say we are back yet, beat the Hawks and I may have a re-think but we rarely do beat that mob. Time for the club to turn the tables and really give them a belting for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly's presser

There was a lot of talk during the week about the defensive intent you would bring to the game. Was that up to the level you were hoping?
"Clearly it was a step forward wasn't it? Parts of our game were just sort of there to be seen but not consistently in the last three or four games, particularly our pressure was something we wanted to raise the bar on. Us at our best is a great pressure team and there was a damning number I think we looked at earlier in the week where I think last year we were #1 for pressure or close to it, and we're 13th [now] and it just almost stung us all. We're looking at it going 'oh, come on, that's not us'. We were trying to make a statement tonight in some ways or just put it right in front of the players face that we need to pressure the opposition better than what we were. We had many times where one person is tackling on his own and that's not us. We got to work during the week on it and then it was really pleasing for it to be seen".

What changed to get it back in your favour after Brisbane responded in the 2nd quarter?
"They're a very good team aren't they? Lachie Neale got busy in stoppages. He's a very good player of the competition. We were under the pump. Like I said, they're a good team on their home deck. They're always going to get a roll on and that stoppage part of the game in the second quarter they just completely dominated. Credit to our backs, we were lucky to be in the game. I thought the dam wall would open at some stage and we were lucky to probably go into the break with a small margin against us because we only had 2 inside 50s. They got the game on their terms".

You drifted Nick Daicos back to half back. Can you talk us through your thinking there. You persisted with that for nine-tenths of the game?
"Yeah we did. Part of our game that wasn't going was our defensive transition. We weren't scoring from the back half. We turned the ball over a lot in that area and Nick for 18 months was arguably one of the best players in the competition playing half back. We moved him back there to get some run, some overlap and some great ball use and the other injection was Johnny Noble. Both of those guys come in to help our ground ball and it helped [our] transition which really made a difference".

Are you pleased with John Noble after a period in the wilderness?
"Yeah, and it's been tough for him. It's been a tough time. He's missed out in a Grand Final, he's missed out early [in the season], he's done all the work and he's comeback bigger and stronger. He's important to us, he really is. It's good to see him back doing the things that we know he's really renowned for. His fight, his run, his overlap and his first quarter in particular was really good".

Can you talk about the contribution of the senior guys who might have struggled in the first few games such as Scott Pendlebury and Darcy Moore.
"I was really pleased with Darcy leading from the front. Like I said, around the second quarter he led from the front. Him and Howie with big spoils and halving contests. We've had a bit against us in terms of the pile on. We're a pretty proud group. I say this often, but you don't get to see our Monday to Friday; the energy and motivation in wanting to improve or not be happy with. We needed to get this thing moving and it was pleasing that our best players played well".

Can you really build on this win now and kick start your premiership defence?
"We've got to get things started at some stage and they're [Brisbane] in the same boat as we were last week. You've just got to get started. Sometimes it's difficult to get off the mark. This is a tough competition, really tough competition. There are a lot of good teams. You can't be off your game; just in patches. We were in the same situation last week. Last week, we were sort of 'get in there, get in there, little bit is better' but then just a step back in some areas. They're [Brisbane] a proud group. I see them being really hard to beat whoever they play and tonight was important for us as well".

Did you ask Scott Pendlebury about that little slap on Lachie Neale?
"No, I didn't see it. I'm sure the tribunal will take care of something if there is something there".

Great victory.
Beat the Lions at the GABBA.
A Lions team desperate for GF revenge.
A Lions team desperate to avoid going 0 & 3.
I felt unusually calm before the game. I have no idea why I felt calm but I had a feeling we'd win. It just so Collingwood to pull out an epic win on the road.
We definitely turned a corner.
The pressure was back.
We were hungry.
We were ferocious in the contest.
We took chances and played with dare.
We played on at every opportunity.
I still don't think we played anywhere near our best.
We weren't always clean and still had many skill errors but you could see their confidence slowly creeping back.
Our season begins now.
Go Pies.
P.S. all of our critics and especially the media can go E.A.D.

The perfect game to get us back on track, up against it across all categories (except maybe Brisbane coming off a bye), was an arm wrestle and we had to find our 2023 confidence to stand up in the last 1/3 of the game to control and deliver the outcome. Intent was missing in the previous rounds and we brought that tonight. I anticipate some up’s and downs to come, our skills are still missing at times. But that will come with confidence, I loved the chaos ball and taking the game on that shone through at times tonight.

Just to highlight and lowlight a few players.

Mihocek I think is our most important player, or at least he was for me this evening. Brings the ball to ground even though he’s undersized, I thought Andrews would tear us a new one tonight but Checkers brought the ball to ground effectively. He’s a phenomenal player. Reef did a good job i thought competing with Andrews 1:1 as well.

Elliot, it’s crazy how hard he goes and how often he takes a difficult grab, kicks a difficult goal. The bone crunching tackle in the last was phenomenal. No fear, and really set the tone with his approach.

Lipinski isn’t naturally as tough as the above two, but he has been outstanding and doing everything that is required of him each game. He went above and beyond tonight, and should get coaches votes.

I love Mcreery loose around the ball, creates chaos and the ball generally ends up heading our way. Kicks goals and applies pressure. Transitions really well. A key player in our structure.

Frampton is a lock for me, there is something about players standing up when you need them most. He was superb this evening. Will allow Moore to get more creative as well. Murphy can come in as a third tall if needed.

Q is slowly becoming our most impactful defender I feel. A perfect mix of defence and offence. Loved his game, would love for our players to kick on their non preferred more. The Daicos style outside of the boot is dinky and hard execute in most contested situations.

Degoey comes in and out of focus a lot during games, he’s a definite match winner and had a great game but would like more of the Neale type of dominance covering a full game.

Was disappointed with Pendles pulling out of a marking contest when the game was on the line. That’s inexcusable. He’s turning it over as well which suggests he’s probably questioning himself as well. Still came good at critical moments this evening, we need him in the 22. We need others to carry his load on ball though. I’d like to see Sullivan given a game. Macrae really didn’t come on tonight, I’d be inclined to give him another game. Continuity is key.

Schultz, I get the coaches rave about his pressure acts and similar to WHE it’s obviously there and a key part of our success…you still need to hit your targets, transition and kick your goals when it’s your turn. I think this will come with time, he’s come from a nothing team to the big time…a lot of pressure on him given what we paid for him (pick 4 as of yesterday!).

hill is a jet, but even he had skill errors tonight. I look forward to getting back to our best with another couple of confidence boosting wins.

Daicos was exceptional for a 21 year old, but he is a 21 year old. Gets caught out against the bigger bodies at times. He went from a good game (with corridor turnovers) to a great game because McRae manufactured some freedom off the half back flank. I would leave him there for most of the game. Would really like to see Sullivan in to partner Mitchell and Degoey.

A great confidence building win. A step in the right direction.

Last edited:
The best game, that we’ve seen, from Frampton and a lot better than some people (here) seemed to think he was capable of.
JFN showed us why he played 83 consecutive games, before being dropped for the finals. (Yeah I know we won the GF without him, I don’t think leaving him out made our chances of winning any more likely.) Tonight he not only accumulated a nice total of effective disposals but he also threaded the defence together with numerous selfless acts. I like what Markov brings but I think I’ve developed a Man-Crush on JFN.
Great win tonight - 1 down 19 to go and then finals.

Great win. Tackling was immense. So good to see that pressure back.

We look so good when we move the ball down the middle, even if there were some turnovers early on. Reminded me of the first half of last season.

Defence was great, especially holding up so well in that 2nd quarter when they threw everything at us. Hipwood went missing to an extent that his face will be on milk carton tomorrow.

We were set up defensively really well. Biggest difference from the first couple weeks. The pressure and tackling was back as well.

Aside from 2nd qtr where we couldn’t get the ball out of defensive 50.

Well according to Brisbane supporters on their board they were the better team for most of the game :drunk:

Well according to Brisbane supporters on their board they were the better team for most of the game :drunk:

Weird considering we gifted them 4 silly goals, didn’t play the second quarter played our 4th game in 19 days at a ground they never lose on off the bye!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back