Review Round 4 - GWS Giants vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

You all seem to be thinking that GWS LOST, but I reckon Melbourne WON. They had a little in the tank at 3/4 time, got their tails up just a little and really started playing some terrific football. Irrespective of the Giants.
I'm thinking of Silvia's burst through the pack, Aaron Davey starting to run, some great grabs by Howe at full forward.
So Melbourne got moving, put their lack of belief away for 30 minutes, and were really way to skilled and fit for GWS as it turned out.
It's a fine line between success and failure in our footy and just a little bit of oxygen turns zeros into heroes.
Yes umpiring was a bit average but the game was gone anyway as soon as Melbourne got a sniff.

Next week we take on the Suns and I'm pretty confident about that one.

*sigh* I dared to believe so reality bit as demon goals rained down. Ah well. Went to the game and really enjoyed it. I have to admit I was happy to see all the demon supporters that turn up week in week out finally have something to cheer about.

Our time will come.

IT'S NOT OFTEN a club plays its best football of the year and then loses by 41 points at the end of the game.

But that was the situation facing Kevin Sheedy's Greater Western Sydney side against Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday afternoon.

The Giants led by 19 points at the final change but faded badly to allow the Demons to kick 12 goals to two in the final quarter.

"We played just about our best three quarters (for the year), we kicked the highest score that we've kicked for the whole season," Sheedy said in his post-match press conference on Sunday evening.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-21/sheedy-post-match-press-conference?utm_medium=RSS

Geishan needs to explain why three of his umpires went mad in the fourth quarter. Up until then it was just pretty ordinary umpiring with both sides being on the end of a couple of dodgy decisions but that fourth quarter was a disgrace.

Whitfield lays a legitimate tackle - called high. It wasn't. Goal to Melbourne.
Hands clearly in the back on Sumner, pushed out of the marking contest. Nothing. Instead of the ball being pumped into our half of the ground it goes the other way. Goal to Melbourne.
Ward held without the ball. Nothing
Greene held without the ball. Nothing
Cogs held without the ball. Nothing
And don't get me started on the Townsend 70metre penalty. When did the AFL introduce a 70 metre penalty? especially when the Melbourne player HAD PLAYED ON. Goal to Melbourne.
Just because Nathan Jones can't stand up, doesn't make it down the ground. Scully got body slammed after he put it to the top of the square in the third. Nothing. Then Jones just falls over and it's down the ground to the top of the square? Goal to Melbourne.
They missed two clear throws. One in our defensive fifty - goal to Melbourne. One in our offensive fifty. Nothing.
Any number of times Huddo called a GWS player "taken high, no free kick".

As I said, up until 3qtr time we got some, they got some, just your average umpiring. But in that last qtr the umpires went clinically insane and made sure that whatever momentum was generated went the way of Melbourne.

The Giesh must explain!!!

We are going to have to put up with that for the rest of our existence. Interstate teams always have and always will get shafted when they play in Melbourne. Plus we are at the bottom of he table so will always get the worst of the umps.

Where is Jeremy Cameron at? I thought the best aspect of our game was our mids streaming into the 50, but Jezza went missing providing nothing in the way of leads. Patton seems to be way more adept at providing leads then Cameron, and we really missed Patton providing a lead.

I'm not normally this pissed at a crowd, but what the Demons supporters did was truly shameful. Every time the ball was within five meters of scully they al booed him. You could hear the whole stadium even on chanel 7's crappy broadcast. Its downright bullying and Ive never seen anything so rude. That is something that can affect a player mentally (I should know) and that can result in a bad performance onfield. It was two years ago that he left them... GET OVER IT.:mad: If any Melbourne supporters read this, Im disgusted.

I'm not normally this pissed at a crowd, but what the Demons supporters did was truly shameful. Every time the ball was within five meters of scully they al booed him. You could hear the whole stadium even on chanel 7's crappy broadcast. Its downright bullying and Ive never seen anything so rude. That is something that can affect a player mentally (I should know) and that can result in a bad performance onfield. It was two years ago that he left them... GET OVER IT.:mad: If any Melbourne supporters read this, Im disgusted.

It is standard and part of the fun. If any players leaves the Giants in a similar matter I will be booing them every touch they get as well.

It is standard and part of the fun. If any players leaves the Giants in a similar matter I will be booing them every touch they get as well.
I agree, we probably would...however, you dont need to do it every single time that player gets the ball. I was bullied off the playing field and can safely say its not good for that players mental state. They have pressure on them constantly from various sources, but what Melbourne did was over the top.

I agree, we probably would...however, you dont need to do it every single time that player gets the ball. I was bullied off the playing field and can safely say its not good for that players mental state. They have pressure on them constantly from various sources, but what Melbourne did was over the top.
Scully had his best game ever for us yesterday, Those fans can keep booing if it is going to inspire him to such excellent performances, hell I may even boo him myself. He really stood up yesterday, sure he left for money but I reckon he is happy to be out of that dunghole of a club and with a club that may be struggling now but has a good culture and a plan and direction in place. He and we will be playing finals long before the Ds and the Ds fans know that. Which is why they Boo, jealousy is a curse.

Scully had his best game ever for us yesterday, Those fans can keep booing if it is going to inspire him to such excellent performances, hell I may even boo him myself. He really stood up yesterday, sure he left for money but I reckon he is happy to be out of that dunghole of a club and with a club that may be struggling now but has a good culture and a plan and direction in place. He and we will be playing finals long before the Ds and the Ds fans know that. Which is why they Boo, jealousy is a curse.

I like it. We should boo Scully at every home game until he becomes consistent. (Boo all game, standing ovation at the end of the game :) )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What game was Peter Hanlon watching to cast the following votes in the Age Footballer of the year

MELBOURNE v GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
(Peter Hanlon)
Nathan Jones (Melbourne) 8
Colin Garland (Melbourne) 8
Dylan Shiel (GWS) 7
Adam Treloar (GWS) 7
Colin Sylvia (Melbourne) 6

How did Scully not rate a vote? Did he actually watch or is he going off some sort of tarot card reading of the game by a blind ballet dancer? :confused:

LOL, toughen up princess! People (99.9%) don't wish him injury or anything, it's part of the theatre and he should take it as a compliment. It's the poor Dee's supporters venting at our current (indefinite???) predicament!

Good luck guys, still my most hated club! Hehe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back