Game Day Round 4 St Kilda vs West Coast - Sat @2:35

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and now, an ‘effort post’ in in lieu of a timely preview

THE FAILED PREVIEW – some additional unwanted abortive notes that mostly steal from the OP

With forethought only rivalled by Ross Lyon’s list management at St Kilda and a list of technological excuses rivalling a crashed web browser, bUCKET__ begins some vague, late attempt at previewing what should be the rounds most inconsequential match.

You didn't want an extra preview-length post? Well * you, I've had no internet and I'm hungover and the kids are gone so let me have this.

Thus, having regained mobile reception from his soon-to-be-changed service provider, some late notes fell stillborn from his phone’s keyboard like Jackson Nelson attempting to evade a tackle; like heavy metaphors dripping from the glowing, haunted typewriter that produces the articles ascribed to the long-dead corpse of Gary Stocks; like insert another metaphor here asfgghoaidhogihogoigjjgga…

LAST TIME

• We beat the Saints with a team consisting of only Naitanui and Kelly
  • Special mention goes to: Brayden Ainsworth who tagged Jones out of the match, an epic potato battle the scale of which had not been seen since the last Irish Potato Famine
  • Whilst a ripping match in the context of our season, there was ample evidence in this game that both teams looked a mile off the other finals contenders in 2020

MEANWHILE, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE IN 2021

Expectations started high this season at the Saints, after what some people saw as a massive off-season haul.

The problem with this was that Brad Crouch is basically just a version of Seb Ross who is more prone to injury and drugs, and Jack Higgins whilst a good player is really just a hybrid of Lonie and Butler.

Since then, football media have finally realised (a decade too late) that no, Brad Hill is not an elite kick of the ball. Their one classy ball user, affectionately known in the hip-hop scene as J-Gresh, has gone down for the year.

Now St Kilda will be liking their chances, with expectations surrounding their season returning to levels not seen since Richardson was coaching. As the league’s most persistent underperformers, this is when they do their best. Their pressure against the Bombers last week made Chris Masten’s fabled corralling seem more like a snarling velociraptor hunting their prey.

They are unskilled, injured, poorly managed, and written-off by football fans everywhere. Their club, not just their board, is in real danger of folding. And now, after all of this, Saints fans are finally comfortable and at home, genuinely themselves. Now, their team just might, with some honest feedback conversations and lifts in intensity, pick off a backs-against-the-wall win against a real contender.

FOR US: THE REGENERATION FROM WITHIN

On the other hand, the mighty Eagles are flying and impressing the football world. This is despite going most of the year without the two best mids we’ve had this decade.

This is despite the continual insistence that we’re too old and will soon need a full-on rebuild. We’ve been hearing for a long while that the Eagles will fall off a cliff when the bearded god Kennedy retires, but he’s wound back the clock and the continual development of Allen, Waterman, Williams and Brander is a stark contrast to the Saint’s list management. Instead of a rebuild, restump, whatever, this is more like when Theseus' ship is put back together on the move in the middle of an epic ocean voyage.

We pick the tallest ******* team people have seen since Worsfold’s love affair with the Qstick. This is because we have talls who can run all day, like Brander, Waterman and Rotham. Our KPPs are not slow and lumbering, but are quick enough to lay on the pressure.

Xavier O’Neill might be the unluckiest campaigner in football right now, given he played well enough in his AFL games this year and did everything asked of him in the WAFL. Seeing who will roll through the midfield with Shuey out will be interesting. Options include Brander, Jones, Petch, Nelson, and the prime contender Jack Darling to the midfield.

CONCLUSION

We could lose this if Saints regain some form and respond to stinging, justified criticism; on recent form, we most likely will belt them around the ball. Like my failed attempt at a preview, it doesn’t really matter. At the end of the day, this rabble of a club and all of the matches against them will be resigned to a historical footnote. People will be asked trivia questions about how this side could be allowed to continue for so long, without growing memberships or tasting premiership glory. No one cares about this match because the Saints simply don’t matter.

Eagles to win by 100 premiership cups

Great game last night, didn't know which team to go for, disliked both of them, but realised as the game went on, I found myself willing the Tigers on and took immense pleasure in the prospect of Port losing and having their achey-breaky hearts torn apart, again! Not to be...
Was a pity either team had to win!

Game day, Go Snake! Hope Brander has a big day out?

I hope Winder isn’t the sub as a first gamer but also hope Vardy isn’t the sub. Oh god. Hoping for a late change and petrol to sub and Winder to start.

Vardy surely the sub. Can’t debut a kid like this, and we haven’t used the sub in two of our first three. It’s not a tactical sub at the end of the day.

Winder over there to familiarise himself with the travelling process so he can be comfortable if they pull the trigger with him later. I seem to recall them doing that in 2019 quite a bit.

Great game last night, didn't know which team to go for, disliked both of them, but realised as the game went on, I found myself willing the Tigers on and took immense pleasure in the prospect of Port losing and having their achey-breaky hearts torn apart, again! Not to be...
Was a pity either team had to win!

Game day, Go Snake! Hope Brander has a big day out?

I started on the tigers but as the game went on and they kept getting away with bullshit dropped balls, throws, two handed scoops and the like the more I wanted port to win. Like you I severely dislike both teams. Richmond in seasons past have always come home strong so the more early losses they get the happier i'll be.

Vardy surely the sub. Can’t debut a kid like this, and we haven’t used the sub in two of our first three. It’s not a tactical sub at the end of the day.

Winder over there to familiarise himself with the travelling process so he can be comfortable if they pull the trigger with him later. I seem to recall them doing that in 2019 quite a bit.
I feel that vardy is there incase allen doesn't get up . Allen has been struggling with a lot of knocks . Got a knee in the ribs last week and carrying that sore shoulder.

Winder the sub regardless. Vardy is a terrible choice for sub . No sentiment in football these days . Do what we need to bank the 4pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back