Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the question that should have been asked a couple of years ago. It’s a bit late now.
I wouldn't have minded letting Gaff walk to North Melbourne, but the club would have been crucified for trading out guys like McGovern and Yeo in virtually the peak of their careers. Not sure who else would have gained us a lot of value, maybe Darling?

People tend to forget that when Gaff signed on in 2018, he won an All Australian gong that year and North were going to get him for nothing. We would’ve been compensated with a pick in the 20’s for him after we won a flag so it was definitely not in our best interest to watch him walk out the door.

I wouldn't have minded letting Gaff walk to North Melbourne, but the club would have been crucified for trading out guys like McGovern and Yeo in virtually the peak of their careers. Not sure who else would have gained us a lot of value, maybe Darling?

There are always exceptions to every rule, and you can’t get rid of ALL your senior players. The trick is to try to recognise when the writing is in the wall… And, I guess, to avoid situations like Carlton faced with Craig Bradley still running around at age 65 or something.

There are always exceptions to every rule, and you can’t get rid of ALL your senior players. The trick is to try to recognise when the writing is in the wall… And, I guess, to avoid situations like Carlton faced with Craig Bradley still running around at age 65 or something.
So what would you have done differently to the club?

People tend to forget that when Gaff signed on in 2018, he won an All Australian gong that year and North were going to get him for nothing. We would’ve been compensated with a pick in the 20’s for him after we won a flag so it was definitely not in our best interest to watch him walk out the door.
Good point, certainly better off retaining him but doing it via a $5 million 6 year deal for a 26 year old outside player with no right foot, limited tackling and a 20m sprint that you could time with a calender does seem to be overs.

Good point, certainly better off retaining him but doing it via a $5 million 6 year deal for a 26 year old outside player with no right foot, limited tackling and a 20m sprint that you could time with a calender does seem to be overs.
At the time, adding Gaff, Nic Nat and Shep into the 2019 season, should have seen us strongly contending for another 2 years.

There was nothing wrong with all those long term contracts, at the time.

We rolled the dice, it didn't work out. We rebuild.

Time to move on.

I never really thought he was worth the money we're paying him, All Australian or not.
Can't fault his effort, commitment to the club or the fact that he runs himself into the ground every match, but he does have some serious limitations to his game.
I mean we won the GF without him

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back