Preview Round 6: Collingwood vs Essendon - Anzac Day Clash - Tuesday 25th April 3:20pm - Preview, Changes and Thoughts

Who will win?

• Essendon

Votes: 52 60.5%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hey All.

Hoping this is well received. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm thinking any preview is better than no preview. I suffer from dailysex so expect typos, as the former heading proved.

Round 6 will see Essendon once again take on Collingwood in our Traditional Anzac Day clash. I really appreciate that we get to watch this game on Anzac Day every year; even at our worst, it’s always been a highlight of the colder months.

I’d suggest that even the most optimistic supporter wouldn’t have predicted Essendon would enter this match 4-1 and 2nd on the ladder, so it’s hard not to be excited about this top 4 clash. No doubt, we’ve had a softer draw and have had some good fortune through the first 5 rounds, but in recent years Essendon has been known as a team to fail against the odds. This game will be a great test for us; Especially given the injuries to Collingwood’s big men.

Round 5 Results:

ESSENDON
5.4 9.10 12.13 15.14 (104)
MELBOURNE 4.2 7.5 7.7 11.11 (77)
bruce almighty jim GIF

GOALS
Essendon:
Draper 3, Phillips 2, Martin 2, Langford 2, Hind 2, Stringer, Snelling, Perkins, Jones

BEST (According to AFL.com.au)
Essendon:
Parish, Merrett, Draper, McGrath, Shiel, Durham, Langford

INJURIES
Essendon:
Jones (ankle) and BZT (knock to the ankle, but played out the game)

COLLINGWOOD 2.2 4.4 6.10 10.10 (70)
ST KILDA 2.2 4.3 6.4 9.10 (64)

GOALS
Collingwood
: Hill 3, Mihocek 2, McCreedy, Mitchell, Ginnivan, Johnson, Elliott
St Kilda: Caminiti 2, Higgins 2, Crouch 2, Phillipou, Clark, Byrnes

INJURIES
Collingwood:
Dan McStay (TBC)
St Kilda: TBC

The last time we met

Round 19 of the 2022 season should have been an Essendon win, but instead will go down as one of the most infamous games in Essendon’s history. To many people, It was this game in particular that led to the sacking of Ben Rutten at the end of the last season. Not due to the 6 Goals 2 to 1 behind first quarter, or to the epic comeback over the next 3 quarters that saw take the lead with only minutes to go, but due to the last 45 seconds, where, after a Harrison Jones miss, Collingwood was able to get the ball from the kick-in to their forward 50 and into the arms of Elliot in a matter of 20 seconds. Elliot would go on to kick the winning goal and, in my opinion, sealed Rutten’s fate.

COLLINGWOOD 6.2 7.4 8.5 12.8 (80)
ESSENDON 0.1 5.3 10.7 11.10 (76)

GOALS
Collingwood:
Johnson 3, Carmichael 2, Elliott 2, Mihocek 2, Cameron, J.Daicos, Pendlebury
Essendon: Wright 3, Guelfi 2, Draper, Jones, Langford, Martin, Phillips, Stringer

BEST
Collingwood:
J.Daicos, Crisp, Adams, Howe, Lipinski, Pendlebury
Essendon: Merrett, Shiel, Draper, Wright, Heppell, Durham

Possible Outs

Jones was subbed off with an ankle injury
BZT took a knock to his ankle and looked a bit restricted; here’s hoping the 10-day break gives him enough time to recover.
Merrett has been offered a one-match ban for a “dangerous tackle”
Menzies struggled to have an impact on the game and may be rested/dropped

Possible Ins

Davey a chance to be recalled after being rested
Hobbs continued his strong VFL form
Hind seems like to make the team proper after having a big impact as the sub
Montgomerie has been in good form in the VFL though I think he is unlikely given the role he plays
Walla always a chance due to his foot skills, even if his VFL form doesn’t yet warrant selection

My Changes

Out: Jones (inj), Menzies. Merrett
In: Davey, Hind, Hobbs

Menzies or Mass as the sub.

My tip

I still lack faith – Collingwood by 15.

Anzac Day Medalist prediction

Nic Martin

Last edited:
I wanted this anzac day, so confident we would beat pies, now I'm worried.

We could have a huge advantage in the ruck. Looking like a bit of a dry spell weatherwise too.

Just have Setterfield go after Penndles and Parish & co will have a field day.

We could have a huge advantage in the ruck. Looking like a bit of a dry spell weatherwise too.

Just have Setterfield go after Penndles and Parish & co will have a field day.
I kinda feel like Mitchell is the bigger threat. He feels like the guy that needs to cop the Setterfield blanket early if we wanna get on top.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Voss in.

At the start of the match have him run through Pendlebury, Maynard JDG, Sidebottom, daicos....whoever it is ala what Breteton/Rhys-Jones used to do to set our tone.

Depending how Shittingwood vs Failda goes, we probably still need to keep a lid on things for the moment even though I would love to smash them.

Hopefully Merrett is available to play. Losing him would be massive.
He'll be fine. If he's in trouble, the AFL website would've posted about it, the Fox Footy broadcast would've mentioned it, and somebody on r/AFL would've started a thread about the incident. There's no smoke attached to this whatsoever.

And even if he does get suspended, we've got options. Hobbs has been burning it down in the VFL and we could always move Caldwell into the midfield rotation. Hell, or do both: bring Hobbs in and then split Merrett's midfield time between Hobbs and Caldwell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Yhoughts are just minimal changes to a winning formula...!! Our 2 rucks if they can continue their good form should really trouble the Pies...

OUT: Jones (injured)
IN: Voss

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Setterfireld Durham
Perkins Langford Menzie
Draper Stringer Snelling

Phillips Parish Merrett

Bench: Caldwell Shiel Heppell Voss
SUB: Hind

He'll be fine. If he's in trouble, the AFL website would've posted about it, the Fox Footy broadcast would've mentioned it, and somebody on r/AFL would've started a thread about the incident. There's no smoke attached to this whatsoever.

And even if he does get suspended, we've got options. Hobbs has been burning it down in the VFL and we could always move Caldwell into the midfield rotation. Hell, or do both: bring Hobbs in and then split Merrett's midfield time between Hobbs and Caldwell.
I was listening to SEN and I don't think they even mentioned it.

The same station that has Tom Browne as their resident gossipmonger and the footy show clowns as drive show hosts is apparently the only broadcast from yesterday that went for maximum drama in their call.
Righto

Hopefully zerk is fit.

Id go with no change.
Jones is a watch for me, but not like the alternatives are banging the door down that much that I'd drop him...unless its time to give him some touch in the two's on getting hand to ball and scores on the board

Isn't Laverde in danger of being cited.

I really would like the media narrative this week to be about Melbourne not turning up moreso than us playing well; go into this game feeling like they've got something to prove and really take to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back