AFLW Autopsy Round 6 - North Melbourne v Swans - Sunday 2 October 5:10 pm - Punt Road Swinburne

Remove this Banner Ad

Change in venue
The AFL wishes to advise that the Round Six AFLW match between the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos vs the Sydney Swans on Sunday, 2 October will now be played at the Swinburne Centre at Punt Road Oval. The original timeslot of 5.10pm AEST is unchanged.
The match was previously scheduled for Arden Street. The decision to move the match is based on the quality of the playing surface at Arden Street.
The AFL would like to thank Richmond for their assistance in relocating to Swinburne Centre.

Happy debut Ruby Sargant-Wilson and Kiara Beesley

We are theoretically what 5 years behind the foundation teams?
It's certainly showing. I think today highlights the absolute lack of depth of AFLW quality players in our team. From what I have seen across the games, Heads, C Hamilton, Smith and Ham are about the only players up to standard.

It's going to take at least 2-3 years to get sufficient quality onto our list to be competitive. My concern is that a player like Ham will leave, sick of copping hidings every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can see that pressure and tackling have been the coaching focus for the short lead up. It is a strength of the game. Ability to run out four quarters has been better this week but a lack of composure with ball in hand has been costly.

One thing I will say, in the AFL when the new teams came in, they got umpires like it was a kids v parents game. It seems we have come in as the new team and we are penalised for every little thing, no being nice to the new kids for us.

Credit to the little swannies kid in front of me that is obviously a dancer who has entertained herself by dancing a proper routine to every post song goal that has come on. Impressive stuff.

I hope we fans can keep.turning up and maintaining the faith. The women are doing the best they can and need whatever positives we can provide. The crowd at the Hawks game gave plenty of encouragement and we can hope that continues. Handling under pressure isn't something that comes automatically, nor defensive positioning. With such a short season it's over before it starts. 🥰

I hope we fans can keep.turning up and maintaining the faith. The women are doing the best they can and need whatever positives we can provide. The crowd at the Hawks game gave plenty of encouragement and we can hope that continues. Handling under pressure isn't something that comes automatically, nor defensive positioning. With such a short season it's over before it starts. 🥰
In the end the crowd built up reasonably well. Probably a couple of hundred swans supporters around the place.

It's going to take at least 2-3 years to get sufficient quality onto our list to be competitive. My concern is that a player like Ham will leave, sick of copping hidings every week.
Supposing competitive means mid-ladder: It won't take that long if Charlie Rowbottom is there next year. In which case, no chance of Ham leaving.

Results like today's are probably only going to make the club more aggressive in such a pursuit.

Supposing competitive means mid-ladder: It won't take that long if Charlie Rowbottom is there next year. In which case, no chance of Ham leaving.

Results like today's are probably only going to make the club more aggressive in such a pursuit.
Thanks for being encouraging about our girls. I can definitely see the effort.

However I was worried that the reason alot of our list had yet to be taken by existing AFLW teams was that they simply weren't good enough. Watching the girls fumble, drop off tackles, execute skills poorly and simply wilt under pressure confirmed to me that the bulk of the list is not up to the standard.

Charli RB alone will not make a huge difference. Look at Ham. Clearly a gun but is reduced to a run with role. Cynthia has to crash packs like a KPF when she should be front and centre, Papley style. Smith was a KPF at Pies who Molloy joked was going to be the female Buddy yet due to the shallowness if our list has to play in defence. Of the 21 who took the field, only about a quarter are at the standard. To be competitive, we need to have at least the starting 16 at AFLW level. This will take time as it will largely be dependent on local junior development given the reluctance of established stars to come to us.

Remember we only had 8 weeks to get this team up and running. I don't expect a win but we will learn who is up to it and who we need to replace. A couple of "Montana Hams" in the next draft and a few decent academy kids and we will be competitive very quickly.

Thanks for being encouraging about our girls. I can definitely see the effort.

However I was worried that the reason alot of our list had yet to be taken by existing AFLW teams was that they simply weren't good enough. Watching the girls fumble, drop off tackles, execute skills poorly and simply wilt under pressure confirmed to me that the bulk of the list is not up to the standard.

Charli RB alone will not make a huge difference. Look at Ham. Clearly a gun but is reduced to a run with role. Cynthia has to crash packs like a KPF when she should be front and centre, Papley style. Smith was a KPF at Pies who Molloy joked was going to be the female Buddy yet due to the shallowness if our list has to play in defence. Of the 21 who took the field, only about a quarter are at the standard. To be competitive, we need to have at least the starting 16 at AFLW level. This will take time as it will largely be dependent on local junior development given the reluctance of established stars to come to us.
Ham is good, though obviously not in the conversation for All-Australian midfielder yet, which is the calibre of inclusion I'm talking about. It would be logical to think one player can't make a huge difference, but the stats for AFLW are pretty emphatic.

One example (there are many more for top, mid and bottom teams): the Adelaide Crows from 2017-2021* went 23-5-1 when both Phillips and Randall played, and 3-9 when one of them missed. *Since then, it's fair to say Hatchard and Marinoff have taken over as their two most valuable players, hence the parameter.

Remember we only had 8 weeks to get this team up and running. I don't expect a win but we will learn who is up to it and who we need to replace. A couple of "Montana Hams" in the next draft and a few decent academy kids and we will be competitive very quickly.
Give it at least a couple of years.

It will take a while to replace those who are well below the standard with those who can play.

This is assuming we don't lose any of our decent players along the way. Correct me if I am wrong but the girls only sign 12 month contracts?

It's certainly showing. I think today highlights the absolute lack of depth of AFLW quality players in our team. From what I have seen across the games, Heads, C Hamilton, Smith and Ham are about the only players up to standard.

There just isn't an easy way to emulate the years of development in new teams, I think the calibre of the women being generated is better than what was available during the foundation period, they just got access to an entire generation of players when there were only a handful of teams. It is just going to take time to develop the program and get game experience. I don't think it will take a lot of time, Richmond went from 0 wins in their first year to 3 wins in their second and third year and have 4 wins from 6 games so far this year.

I think Swans are showing signs of competitiveness beyond their period together, it may sound disingenuous given some of the margins but the Swans tackling and pressure is good, forward transition and delivery inside the forward is the hardest thing to do well for any side, it is the area that is the hardest to improve. You have a good coach, better than our coach, I was sad when the AFL forced cuts to the program due to covid and we had to let him go.

You will probably need another couple of drafts and trade periods to fill out the side. We were very fortunate when we came in that Collingwood imploded and they had a toxic coach that made a number of their higher profile women want to leave, they donated Garner and Emma King, two of our better players. Our ten year association with Melbourne Uni women's football before AFLW also saw a number of ladies want to be part of the club when got our license but I think we only have a handful of players left from 2019. Even in that short period of time, some significant change can happen.

There are a lot of new faces in our side even this year and I think that trend will continue because I think the pathway to the AFLW is better than it was in the past, when we were forced to only hold on to the core group of players a number of players who we had taken recently were better than more established players and we have had a very restricted access to the draft so far so there is still good talent even as far out as where our picks have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back