Game Day Round 6 vs. Port Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 20/04

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want them to make it as much as the next guy, but these BigFooty obsessions sometimes get tedious.

We need to get wins on the board and Pendles is the guy to get the job done. Do you really think we should just throw these guys into the guts for Butters and Rozee to smash them and completely demolish their confidence?
What sort of team would we be if Macrae’s or Sullivans inclusion materially increased our chances of losing as you’re implying.

It’s an insult to the other 22 players.

Giving one of them game time is a low risk strategy with substantial upside in terms of development.

What sort of team would we be if Macrae’s or Sullivans inclusion materially increased our chances of losing as you’re implying.

Giving one of them game time is a low risk strategy with substantial upside in terms of development.
Selecting them to throw them in the deep end in the midfield against Butters, Rozee, Wines and JHF, as in the manner Whiskeytown described, will increase our chances of losing based on what we’ve seen of Macrae at the top level, and how green Sullivan is at this stage.

That’s simply the reality of the situation. It’s why Fly and the coaching panel haven’t selected Macrae or Sullivan so far over any of our proven guns who have runs on the board. It’s why Fin was subbed for Crisp against the Lions.

Last edited:
I want them to make it as much as the next guy, but these BigFooty obsessions sometimes get tedious.

We need to get wins on the board and Pendles is the guy to get the job done. Do you really think we should just throw these guys into the guts for Butters and Rozee to smash them and completely demolish their confidence?

Macrae has been competing against pies premiership players on the training track for some time… I’m not talking about a 1st year draftee but a 4th year player.

Allan is only second year but I’d envision him not playing centre mid at AFL level but playing a wing or half forward role

Sullivan is 25-26.

They are the obvious 3 to insert right now. Doesn’t mean they play every week for the rest of the year.., but they at least get blocks of games

Later in the year others depending on form might a look in

But what I find tedious is the rose tinted glasses crowd on bigfooty.

Honestly if it were up to them, many would still have Buckley coach and Blair and Thomas playing… cause they were solid players once upon a time

The premiership defence is over.

A 1/4 of the way into the season and they are not remotely in the same top 4 ball park as what they were last year - the statistical data shows that they are a bottom 6-8 side in nearly every category except hit outs and tackles… which is correspondingly where they sit on the ladder

Beyond this the pies are not scoring from turnovers, not sling shot going from end to end and scoring… the game plan is continually not being executed

But people want to keep playing all the same players as last year… blind hope they somehow win 13-14 of the next 17 games and finish top 4

The worst thing is I’ll get pilloried for this by the usual slow learning nongs who will then parrot what I’ve said a month or two from now anyhow

The sooner the club starts phasing out veterans and playing younger players… the better position they’ll be in next year and the year after

P.S apologies for the tone. I’m in a grumpy mood from other things

Selecting them to throw them in the deep end in the midfield against Butters, Rozee, Wines and JHF, as Whiskeytown described, will increase our chances of losing based on what we’ve seen of Macrae at the top level, and how green Sullivan is at this stage.

That’s simply the reality of the situation. It’s why Fly and the coaching panel haven’t selected Macrae or Sullivan so far over any of our proven guns who have runs on the board. It’s why Fin was subbed for Crisp against the lions.
Tbf, they had no problem wanting to expose him against a more mature midfield of the lions.
And if we want to make these young players better, you do have to give them game time. Only way for them to improve at the top level. Sometimes its Risk v Reward.
One player isnt gonna be the reason for a win or a loss.

Just like if pendles wasn't playing, he cant be the reason for it, otherwise we're in deep trouble if we're relying on a 36 year old.
You work as a team. Not have one player or another be blamed for the reason we'd lose.

Macrae has been competing against pies premiership players on the training track for some time… I’m not talking about a 1st year draftee but a 4th year player.

Allan is only second year but I’d envision him not playing centre mid at AFL level but playing a wing or half forward role

Sullivan is 25-26.

They are the obvious 3 to insert right now. Doesn’t mean they play every week for the rest of the year.., but they at least get blocks of games

Honestly if it were up to them, many would still have Buckley coach and Blair and Thomas playing… cause they were solid players once upon a time

A 1/4 of the way into the season and they are not remotely in the same top 4 ball park as what they were last year - the statistical data shows that they are a bottom 6-8 side in nearly every category except hit outs and tackles… which is correspondingly where they sit on the ladder

Beyond this the pies are not scoring from turnovers, not sling shot going from end to end and scoring… the game plan is continually not being executed

But people want to keep playing all the same players as last year… blind hope they somehow win 13-14 of the next 17 games and finish top 4

The worst thing is I’ll get pilloried for this by the usual slow learning nongs who will then parrot what I’ve said a month or two from now anyhow

The sooner the club starts phasing out veterans and playing younger players… the better position they’ll be in next year and the year after

I agree

Fly needs to be a modern progressive coach and not fall into the "Buckley trap"

Rotate the squad

Reward form

Be innovative

We are 2/3. We aren’t 5-0. The team we select should be the team we’d select if tomorrow was the GF. Because atm every game is a GF. We can’t afford to drop anymore, especially given our %. We need wins, and decent wins.

Injuries will occur. The kids can play then, unless they are better than the seniors. Which they aren’t atm.

Sullivan is 25-26.

I understand your concerns but I still think we can sneak the flag this year. Players will continue to develop in the VFL anyway. I just think our veterans have this year to help us win the flag. I think it will start tomorrow when we beat Port

Sullivan is 25-26.

Thing is, you were saying the same stuff this time last year.

Then we go on and win the flag.

I agree

Fly needs to be a modern progressive coach and not fall into the "Buckley trap"

Rotate the squad

Reward form

Be innovative
Fly is THE modern progressive coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's such a long season that I think some people go way to early. We could win 10 in a row
This is the thing. We won ten in a row last year. Most flag sides get on a long run of wins.
It’s still possible.

My money is it's simply being because they're holding HH and Sullivan over from the VFL in case they're needed for ANZAC Day - captain's run plus an extended session in lieu of a game.
It’s not hard to have a running/skills session in lieu of a game. Happens all the time.

It's such a long season that I think some people go way to early. We could win 10 in a row
And who knows what the sides above us are going to do. Most who came out firing early won't be able to keep it going all season..

It's not until next round that all teams will have played the same amount of games, that's how unusual this season has been.

Huh? I think if you replaced a senior starting midfielder on any team with a junior who is not up to the level, the team would suffer

Non-contact reduces the chance of injuries, lighter recovery for short turnaround.
Have you thought this through? You know it's a pregame training session with the 23 who will play tomorrow mosy of whom will play again on ANZAC Day, but too dangerous for a couple of blokes sitting out of the VFL this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back