Game Day Round 6 : West Coast v Geelong Sat 24/4 @ Graveyard Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it is a case of fragile. It is a case of not caring. They've been pulling this since the 2018 flag
Yep, when you’re earning maybe $200,000pa at a minimum and get paid win, lose or draw it’d be pretty easy for a bit of the zero care factor to creep in.

I agree when you say it's panic stations but that we don't lack ability. We absolutely should panic after that, and we absolutely do not lack ability. What do you think about competing quite well for a quarter while McGovern was still there? Was it luck that we did well for a quarter and then fell away? Otherwise, the injury excuses don't work for me.
Similar to when we lost Hurn. We don’t seem to react well to losing a defender mid game for whatever reason, it all just goes to s**t. Also think the lack of leadership is starting to tell, all the players we have out are our leaders and influential players, they can’t be replaced talent wise but on top of that we’re missing the onfield direction. We’re playing kids and role players, we were lucky to still be in it at quarter time.

Yep, when you’re earning maybe $200,000pa at a minimum and get paid win, lose or draw it’d be pretty easy for a bit of the zero care factor to creep in.
I always think this.

Even the injured guys... "ehh why rush back Im still getting paid... give it another fortnight"

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the Collingwood pre game thread...
Apr 15, 2021
I'm calling it early.

If we put this team out against Geelong for the afternoon game next week, we'll lose by 100 points. Quick movement bypassing our slow midfield with no pressure = 10 for Tom.

OK, Tom didn't kick 10, but right otherwise. Being right doesn't actually make you feel any better when it's like this.

Maybe in future if we're playing at Corio Bay we send the BEagles over for a bit of experience and save ourselves the travel wear and tear on everyone else.

Now for votes. Are we allowed to skip the 5, 4 and 3 votes and go straight to the 2 and 1?

Similar to when we lost Hurn. We don’t seem to react well to losing a defender mid game for whatever reason, it all just goes to sh*t. Also think the lack of leadership is starting to tell, all the players we have out are our leaders and influential players, they can’t be replaced talent wise but on top of that we’re missing the onfield direction. We’re playing kids and role players, we were lucky to still be in it at quarter time.
I recall Brander's First game against the Swans in Sydney. Hurn and Yoe were out and perhaps others including Darling. I though no Hurn no Yoe ( a late out as i wndered the SCG) and we will be belted and we were similar to today. As a positive Brander has come on.
We have a few out there that will never make it - the resulting load on the team play is a killer. I would include ONeil, Langdon, Waterman and probably Jones,. Rotham is ok but only a fringe player despite the hype as are our other smaller defenders less Shep.
They try but are not up to it.
Nic is ether playing injured or on his last legs.

Last edited:
I recall Brander's First game against the Swans in Sydney. Hurn and Yoe were out and perhaps others including Darling. I though no Hurn no Yoe ( a late out as i wndered the SCG) and we will be belted and we were similar to today. As a positive Brander has come on.
We have a few out there that will never make it - the resulting load on the team play is a killer. I would include ONeil, Langdon, Waterman and probably Jones,. Rotham is ok but only a fringe player despite the hype as are our other smaller defenders less Shep.
Yeah that’s the thing though. We’re all getting pissed that those guys aren’t winning us games against good sides. But some of them would be lucky to be playing well (if at all) when we have our full selection of players yet we’re relying on all of them as our match winning players. No different to Collingwood, lost all their best players either through injury or last years trade debacle and now look at the state of them.

I just can’t comprehend why people are expecting any different when we’re asking kids and role players to lead us week to week. Guys like Sheed and Gaff getting potted because they don’t bulldoze through packs and hammer blokes in tackles, but they’ve never been able to and they’re not in the side for that. They’re elite at what they do. It’s no different to asking Isaac Smith to line up as the number 1 midfielder. Redden and Kelly probably fair enough, they need to be more assertive but taking shots at guys (pretty much our entire midfield at the moment) who are being asked to play a different role in the absence of our better players isn’t it.

No team in the league can lose their top 7-8 players and suit up the following week with adequate replacements, yet here all our supporters are expecting us to win by 50 every week at home and dominate top 4 contenders.

Don’t get me wrong, 97 points is diabolical, but a loss was 100% coming today and we’ll be struggling right up until we get the majority of those players back unfortunately.

Hello, my new name is Peter I haven't logged in since Donald Trump lost and have since forgotten all passwords and emails connected to my 10yr old bf account, im also suffering from a 90 day Facebook ban.
Il say after today the Eagles are headed back too the ken judge days.. I was getting flash backs of mark merenda and that other square jawed clown we traded from Melbourne..

Tough times ahead.

Hello, my new name is Peter I haven't logged in since Donald Trump lost and have since forgotten all passwords and emails connected to my 10yr old bf account, im also suffering from a 90 day Facebook ban.
Il say after today the Eagles are headed back too the ken judge days.. I was getting flash backs of mark merenda and that other square jawed clown we traded from Melbourne..

Tough times ahead.
Welcome Peter. Thanks for Zane Trew.

What was your old account?

Tough times ahead.
A lot to unpack here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that’s the thing though. We’re all getting pissed that those guys aren’t winning us games against good sides. But some of them would be lucky to be playing well (if at all) when we have our full selection of players yet we’re relying on all of them as our match winning players. No different to Collingwood, lost all their best players either through injury or last years trade debacle and now look at the state of them.

I just can’t comprehend why people are expecting any different when we’re asking kids and role players to lead us week to week. Guys like Sheed and Gaff getting potted because they don’t bulldoze through packs and hammer blokes in tackles, but they’ve never been able to and they’re not in the side for that. They’re elite at what they do. It’s no different to asking Isaac Smith to line up as the number 1 midfielder. Redden and Kelly probably fair enough, they need to be more assertive but taking shots at guys (pretty much our entire midfield at the moment) who are being asked to play a different role in the absence of our better players isn’t it.

No team in the league can lose their top 7-8 players and suit up the following week with adequate replacements, yet here all our supporters are expecting us to win by 50 every week at home and dominate top 4 contenders.

Don’t get me wrong, 97 points is diabolical, but a loss was 100% coming today and we’ll be struggling right up until we get the majority of those players back unfortunately.
Agreed. We fielded a team today that would finish 10-15th in a full season at best. What I see of the WAFL streamed is that we are selecting the best available but 6-8 on the ground are not AFL players and a couple like Brander are emerging but not there yet as established contributers.. Far too much hype for very average players who look good in an easy win.

Totally disagree with you about Waterman. He is currently out of form, and they are trying to find a role for him. Had a shocker yesterday but he wasn’t alone there. But in form he is definitely B22.

Disagree about Rotham too. He is only playing his first 20 games and has good skills and physical attributes.

I‘m not sure about O’Neill. He may make the grade.

Jones is definitely not AFL standard and nor is Langdon. Get caught all the time and don’t get much of the ball. Ainsworth is a bust as well.

Agree and disagree. How do u explain the massive difference at home? Also should have beaten the dogs away with most of the same outs - besides Hurn and JK but this all comes back to the contest so those two players really don’t change much in that regard.

Our midfield is diabolical and the attitude and lack of heart is the issue. I don’t think having Hurn and JK today turns today’s loss into a win - maybe reduces the damage by 1/2 goals

Against the dogs while we should have won we shouldn't have been in the contest. Sheed and Nicnat had 22 clearances between the two of them and the dogs goal kicking was arse. While we were up and Cripps kicked into the man (we would have been far enough to just back a defensive win from there) the reality is the dogs should have been up by 6-8 goals such was their dominance. A team can't rely on 2 players accounting for 50% of clearances ever and actually expect a win.

Has to be injured. Was dominating games in the first three weeks, putting it wherever he wanted. Since the second half of the saints game however, he's been pretty much invisible, to the point where Vardy's ruckwork against the pies was pretty much equally as impressive as Naitanui's (which is a bad thing, obviously). At least the Saints and Pies have real ruckmen, but the Cats "ruckman" is barely up to the job and should have been easily dominated, so there's got to be something up.

Has to be injured. Was dominating games in the first three weeks, putting it wherever he wanted. Since the second half of the saints game however, he's been pretty much invisible, to the point where Vardy's ruckwork against the pies was pretty much equally as impressive as Naitanui's (which is a bad thing, obviously). At least the Saints and Pies have real ruckmen, but the Cats "ruckman" is barely up to the job and should have been easily dominated, so there's got to be something up.

You werent paying attention much in the game then. Cats employed the perfect game against Nic. After a stoppage Stanley spread forward and the Cats used him to great effect. Its Nics achilles heal, he doesnt run back and defend well at all.

Stanley would either get the ball kicked to him or drag one of our spare defenders away fromthe Cats big forwards. Very well played / coached.

You werent paying attention much in the game then. Cats employed the perfect game against Nic. After a stoppage Stanley spread forward and the Cats used him to great effect. Its Nics achilles heal, he doesnt run back and defend well at all.

Stanley would either get the ball kicked to him or drag one of our spare defenders away fromthe Cats big forwards. Very well played / coached.

Which is why we play Vardy and many don’t understand. Vardy runs with the opponents ruckman to at least provide a match up and a contest, All of Stanley’s influence happened when Nic was his opponent.

Why you picking on Rotham? He has been good since debut, is young and learning. Geez it would have been hard bloody work in that backline today 🙄
I know he wasnt Robinson Crusoe but he [ along with Waterman] has the worst body language,makes rushed decisions,rarely takes a risky kick,goes to ground a lot,has poor awareness,fumbles under pressure.Not just this game.

I agree with most comments above but surely ;
1. Without our main mids we are exposing Kelly without any help.Haven't we got structures in place to protect him? Wheres the blocks? Nobody in the guts appears to be working in tandem with anyone else. Who is our F##king midfield coach?
2.Our midfield seem to have a game plan of "NN will put it on somebodies tit and we are away" THATS IT!!!
3.Yes we had two ruckmen but why wouldnt you put OAllen in for a bit.When hes around the ball things happen."Oooooh cant afford to take him out of the forward line!!"
4.NN.I dont know how many times ive gotta say it but "STAY ON THE EFFING GROUND MORE!! If your jumping all over a ruckman and putting the b all where you like then ok;but if the opposition ruck is jumping as high and taps come down to fingertips surely staying down more is a good move?
5.I saw in the weekend rag that a footy writer [cant remember who] said the Eagles need to analyse who are the players who continuously let us down on interstate trips.They hold their place for the next game and star in front of our parochial crowd.We need players who fight regardless of where we play.Love or hate Collingwood they have grit.
6.Im ashamed of my footy club and cannot for the life of me see us beating freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back