Autopsy Round 7 vs Collingwood @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was having a chat with CanYouFeelTheSunburn today and said that if we can't fix the issue of bombing it inside F50 then maybe we need to bring in one of our better crumbers. Granted I was thinking Sexton or even a Flanders, but maybe this is part of the game plan

Not justifying or agreeing with it. But it could make sense
Sure-if he ever kicked goals
26 from 63 games

I was having a chat with CanYouFeelTheSunburn today and said that if we can't fix the issue of bombing it inside F50 then maybe we need to bring in one of our better crumbers. Granted I was thinking Sexton or even a Flanders, but maybe this is part of the game plan

Not justifying or agreeing with it. But it could make sense
Id take Rosas, Rankine and Holman as crumbers over Darc

Lucky we got all 4
Lucky? MacPherson shouldn't be near the best 22. How the hell he has made it in despite not even playing that well at VFL level is astounding. Taking run out of the backline to put in a small forward that doesn't kick goals, or use the ball well, or is that quick is one the worst match committee decisions I've seen at this club.
Collingwood are a full on pressure side, they will put pressure on the ball users at all time, the best way to break through a pressure team like that is speed and we've just removed our fastest player.
Killing ourselves at the selection table.

Lucky? MacPherson shouldn't be near the best 22. How the hell he has made it in despite not even playing that well at VFL level is astounding. Taking run out of the backline to put in a small forward that doesn't kick goals, or use the ball well, or is that quick is one the worst match committee decisions I've seen at this club.
Collingwood are a full on pressure side, they will put pressure on the ball users at all time, the best way to break through a pressure team like that is speed and we've just removed our fastest player.
Killing ourselves at the selection table.

I not a big fan of Dmac either but settle it’s Friday let’s just see what happens Sunday?

Maybe there is some off field issues with Markov right now. He clearly looks fit so something is not right

FWIW I'm not opposed to the Markov drop. I don't think he's been too flash at any level this year, so happy not put him in the VFL for a bit.

But Darcy? We've seen what happens with this. Bizarre. Can't defend that, as much as I'd like to. Proven plodder who offers nothing.

Agree with ST - you'd rather see Atkins or Sharp.

Live by the sword and die by the sword. If we win on Sunday then Macpherson's selection won't be scrutinised but if we lose and DMac plays poorly...

Let's just say Dew better hope we can beat Sydney and/or Fremantle over the next two weeks if we walk away from the MCG without a win this Sunday, otherwise we'll be staring down the barrel of 2-7 start to the season and I don't really like Stuey's chances of keeping his job if that plays out.

Having a 3-4 start to the season is dramatically different to a 2-5 start. This really is a massive game for not only our season, but Dew specifically.

I’ll back the boys in, no Grundy and potentially no JDG.

Luko to have a very big day
Not to mention pies are playing 19 year old ruck/forward who has played 4 vfl games, 4 U18 games since 2018. He'll mostly play down forward with chip hit the ruck prob when Chol goes in there (usually has been the main ruck in VFL, but no way thats happening here.. he'll be killed)

Going by the afl app.

IQ = Luko
Moore = Chol
Crisp = Holman
Maynard = Ainsworth
Howe = Casboult
(says J Daicos, but it'll be Nick or Noble, Josh aint playing HB lol) = Rankine

No way is ginni being matched up on Ballard or at CHF. Checkers?
Maybe Welller = Ginni?

On a brighter note, Witts will have ample opportunity to stamp his authority on the game when he comes up against Darcy Cameron and Aiden Begg (debutant). Even Chol should be able to beat those two in the ruck so we should get plenty of first use on Sunday.

Not to mention pies are playing 19 year old ruck/forward who has played 4 vfl games, 4 U18 games since 2018. He'll mostly play down forward with chip hit the ruck prob when Chol goes in there (usually has been the main ruck in VFL, but no way thats happening here.. he'll be killed)

Going by the afl app.

IQ = Luko
Moore = Chol
Crisp = Holman
Maynard = Ainsworth
Howe = Casboult
(says J Daicos, but it'll be Nick or Noble, Josh aint playing HB lol) = Rankine

No way is ginni being matched up on Ballard or at CHF. Checkers?
Maybe Welller = Ginni?

Probably be lemmens or budda on Gini

Some real head scratchers with selection this week.

Let’s just hope Luko improves our delivery inside 50, because I don’t think our inclusions will…

Let’s wait and see.

Some real head scratchers with selection this week.

Let’s just hope Luko improves our delivery inside 50, because I don’t think our inclusions will…

Let’s wait and see.

Interestingly on the heat room podcast Boswell said Buderick told him the game plan was to bomb it into the forward line to a contest and the crumbers crumb it and goal.. I’m not sure if I’ve misinterpreted Boswell or the game plan is trash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only think them saying - this is a must win game - get experienced players in the lineup.

Just not sure that actually helps us win.

Do Collingwood have a particularly quick midfield?

Adams, pendles, crisp, Sidebottom not especially quick.

Daicos bros probably got some more toe.
Don’t think lipinski is lightning.

Having someone with a bit of outside pace may have been useful..

Interestingly on the heat room podcast Boswell said Buderick told him the game plan was to bomb it into the forward line to a contest and the crumbers crumb it and goal.. I’m not sure if I’ve misinterpreted Boswell or the game plan is trash
That’s exactly what he said.
Crumb and lock it in.

Seems pretty counter intuitive when we are going through the corridor - when there is space and you can hit up leading targets..

Explains why we are often missing short lead ups.

Players still got to play what is in front of them.

Nah I heard the same thing on the podcast. I didn’t like the sound of that game plan one bit. That should be the back up plan, not the main plan. Huge red flag.

So MacPherson is obviously in to help “lock it in” and they want our players to be tackling and crumbing hard, or scoring from a stoppage. Would much rather us get a shot 30-40m out from goal consistently. Casboult can still do his thing top of the square, but if that’s our one plan it is easy to defend.

Just saw that Davies is still in.

Strange selections this week, for sure.
Agreed. We got games in him. Now he needs to go back and work on what he needs to to get back to his early season form. He seems down on confidence and I’m sure someone in the VFL squad could be given a run in his place for at least a few games.

That is most definitely the game plan, which is mind boggling. Especially in dew’s last year of his contract he would choose to implement such a basic game plan. And if it was implemented before king went down, the fact that we weren’t going to use his leads to our strength is incredibly frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair, it’s a game plan that plays to our strengths, because our foot skills are absolutely rubbish.

But if we have to fight and scrap for every score like we do, our opponents are always going to stay in the game, as 2-3 quick goals from the centre kicks them away and undoes 10 minutes of fighting in an instant and just tires the players out for no reward.

That fact that the one game we have looked decent in ( V Carlton) was the one game we were looking for the short lead a lot more, yet haven’t done anything to continue that, is incredible.

I can only think them saying - this is a must win game - get experienced players in the lineup.

Just not sure that actually helps us win.

Do Collingwood have a particularly quick midfield?

Adams, pendles, crisp, Sidebottom not especially quick.

Daicos bros probably got some more toe.
Don’t think lipinski is lightning.

Having someone with a bit of outside pace may have been useful..
No, not quick. I'd say the quickest is probably Crisp. Sidebottom is more your endurance based that can run all day. Adams is your hard. Pendles doesnt play in the middle that often these days. And he is more your classy user. Lippa is your great ball user and endurance based, not pacy.

Dew is willing to die on the Macpherson hill
He will only die if they shoot him and it appears that that isn’t going to happen. Our football management team could star in the sequel to Clueless

( cue voice over) Craig Cameron, Stuart leave no pie uneaten Dew and Mark Evans star in this years most anticipated coming of age Film, from the director of Morbious and the writer of pitch perfect comes

“ absolutely ******* clueless”

Some melts already even before the game started. Because of a couple of selections?

Yes, according to Boswell Budarick mentioned that team is happy to kick it deep as part of plan.

Basically after every game, delivery inside 50 was talked about by Dew as issue. As for the plan, it's pretty obvious it's not 100% going deep unless you want to believe that coaches are idiots and you are smarter and more qualified for the job. In some cases going deep is justified and sometimes there is no other option. One on one, Casboult is one of the best contested marks as he did on occasions or can spoil the ball for small forwards. One day maybe even Chol can learn how to mark more often.

Obviously, in other cases, lowering eyes and delivering into space is preferred option especially during fast transition. Ainsworth did it well surprisingly against Lions. Lukosius, Miller, Weller, Powell in other games too.

A lot of our issues is a result of execution under pressure. We did get hands on the ball against Lions in the middle but they got us on spread. Lions did put elite pressure on us and also advanced ball too easily from stoppages and on turnovers. I have little doubt, Macpherson is in to play defensive pressure role despite his poor disposal.

Looking forward to see how we play against Collingwood. Don't really care who plays. Not pretending I would do better job than coaches, selection panel, to know how players perform within the club walls, follow team plans etc. I am more concerned that form of some players fluctuates.

In the end, it will be win loss deciding fate of Dew and coaches. If the team doesn't progress, their careers are on the line and rightfully so. I am sure they are aware of it.

Time to win. 4 wins is absolute minimum before bye for me, 5-6 would be much better. Pity, we did not get one scalp from Melbourne, Saints, Lions games. The competition is incredibly close except Eagles and North is also struggling at the moment. Every game is winnable but I would say we got a decent opportunity for W against Collingwood, Freo, North, Hawthorn before bye. Plenty of winnable games after bye if we perform.

Right now I would say Dew future hangs in balance. Get only 3 W before bye and it's probably over.

On separate note, it's round 7 and Luko and Rankine still have not re-signed. If no re-signing by bye, I expect it's game on. It's getting too close to my comfort.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back