Autopsy Round 7 vs Collingwood @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got to say that I don’t really recall is getting out marked in our f50 much this year.

Seemed like a regular recurrence with the sam day, Peter Wright lineup. The current guys are certainly providing a better aerial contest.

Gee whiz! Some people on here are getting really carried away with one selection. I understand others would have chosen another player over DMac but is it possible Dew just wants a more experienced/older body out there because this seems to be a winnable game at a potentially daunting venue/atmosphere? The likelihood of us getting more from a debuting Hollands over Macpherson is pretty low. Let's be honest.

I see others questioning our tactics to get it inside 50 and the corresponding performance of our forward line but the last time we played a forward line of Ainsworth, Casboult, Rankine, Luko, Chol, Holman and Rosas resulted in us beating an undefeated Carlton by 30 points. The talls played tall (6 goals between Chol, Casboult & Corbett), the smalls crumbed (5 goals between Rosas, Ainsworth & Rankine) and the forward distributor distributed (Lukosius had 9 i50 entries from his 10 kicks).

For anyone who doesn't know, Luko is ranked third in the league for the most goal assists per game. It's a big inclusion to have Jack back and at the very least we should see some cleaner i50 entries from his boot. That's what we've really missed over the last two weeks.

Interestingly on the heat room podcast Boswell said Buderick told him the game plan was to bomb it into the forward line to a contest and the crumbers crumb it and goal.. I’m not sure if I’ve misinterpreted Boswell or the game plan is trash
That’s exactly what he said.
Crumb and lock it in.
Nah I heard the same thing on the podcast. I didn’t like the sound of that game plan one bit. That should be the back up plan, not the main plan. Huge red flag.
Let's get the exact quote from Boswell so no context is lost:

"Talking to Conor Budarick after the game, I was asking about the efficiency going inside 50 and the inability to score goals, not just minors. He was actually saying their game plan is centred around, if the opportunity arises, get it in deep to the goal square and lock the ball inside there. So that's where we've seen the dirty entries a lot of the time and they're fine with that because what they want to do is set up behind the ball."

I can't help but think this was a backup plan they created when Kingy went down just before the start of the preseason. It's obviously a game plan that's heavily dependent on Casboult bringing the ball to ground and I firmly believe Levi wouldn't have played round 1 if King was healthy, so in my mind that confirms that this is a backup game plan they created purely because their main forward target got injured in February and they had next to no time to practice a new game plan.

This is just another reason why having Lukosius in the team is so crucial for us. Luko doesn't just bomb it long, he finds targets more often than not. It's what we need and, thankfully, will have tomorrow!

I dunno. It just seems like we are still being so defensive and negative with personnel and game plan at a time where all the teams around us on the ladder are rejuvenating and playing with no fear.

Yes King out changes things, but Corbett, Luko, Ainsworth, Holman and Chol are all much more capable as lead up forwards then the roles they are playing now. We could be getting so much more out of them (and making it easier for them) but IMO it’s the coaching (forward line and game plan) holding us back.

Levi is perfect as a cop out kick to the square, but the rest of the AFL is much smarter than we are and can pretty easily identify we have nothing besides that one play.

However, a win tomorrow and I take back everything and top 8 here we come.

Just arrived at the 'G
Forgotten just how obnoxious Collingwood supporters are.

At least it's not raining. Yet.

Doesn't look like it's going to be a big crowd.

Dropping Markov, who's best attribute is speedy running on the huge wide MCG makes zero sense. Neither does keeping Stewart Dew tbh.

Collingwood by 5 or 6 goals I'm afraid.
Off to get some cold chips and overpriced cider. Living the dream....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just arrived at the 'G

Dropping Markov, who's best attribute is speedy running on the huge wide MCG makes zero sense. Neither does keeping Stewart Dew tbh.

Cheer up mate, we’ll win today

Just arrived at the 'G

Got to give it to em.

There’s a few good looking pies fans around where I am on the wing.

😬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back