Review Round 8, 2019: Collingwood v Box Hill Hawks, 25 May 2019, 2.00pm @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

That time would suit Collingwood and its supporters and that is all that matters to the AFL.

After losing to Richmond last week and managing just a draw against the Bulldogs the week before, the Hawks are back on the road with a crunch match against the Magpies and will look to bounce back strongly to shore up a spot in the top eight, with the Hawks currently sitting seventh on the ladder, a game out of top four and only half a game clear of ninth.

The Magpies haven't had the best start to their season, winning just one of their first six matches, to sit third last on the ladder with a paltry percentage of 76%. But the Hawks would do well not to take their opponents lightly, given the implications of a loss for the reigning premiers.

Like the Hawks, the Magpies lost last weekend, going down by seven points to the Cats in a battle of two bottom half teams, while the week before, they suffered a one point loss at home to the Zebras. Their only win for the season so far came in round 1, when they held the Coburg Lions scoreless in the last quarter and kicked 3.3.21 to overturn an 18 point deficit at three quarter time into a three point victory.

Teams as named last night.

Collingwood
B: C. Lane, M. Keane, L. Tardrew
HB: W. Kelly, S. Glover, I. Quaynor
C: B. Crocker, J. Hellier, A. Gallucci
HF: J. Daicos, S. Ralph, C. Wellings
F: A. Bosenavulagi, T. Goldsack, T. Broomhead
Foll: L. Lowe, C. Hustwaite, B. Sier
I/C (from): T. Cameron, E. Le Grice, M. Lynch, A. Oxley, A. Tohill, A. Woodward, A. Zimmerman
23rd: P. Marks

Ins: M. Lynch, P. Marks, T. Cameron, C. Wellings, A. Oxley
Outs: D. Wells, J. Madgen

Box Hill Hawks
B: D. Greaves, K. Brand, C. Jiath
HB: T. Miles, N. Reeves, D. Mirra
C: W. Golds, L. Meadows, B. Kilpatrick
HF: D. Moore, C. Nash, J. Ross
F: O. Hanrahan, J. Roughead, M. Walker
Foll: M. Pittonet, H. Jones, D. Howe
I/C (from): N. Boucher, C. Byrne, M. DeWit, S. Horner, L. Mackie, T. Maloney, D. Mascitti, N. Mullenger-McHugh
23rd: J. Haynes

Ins: J. Haynes, L. Mackie, T. Miles, D. Moore, N. Mullenger-McHugh, N. Boucher, T. Maloney
Outs: M. Doreian, A. Moore, D. Minchington

Perfect time for a game of footy for mine, 2pm on a Saturday arvo... oh wait.

Was thinking of going to this game but the predicted rain, the clash with Hawthorn and the lack of Schoenmakers is putting me off.

Eight rounds in and I have only managed to get to one game so far. Neverthless... GO STANGERS!!!

Box Hill lose 65-79

DISPOSALS: Brand 29, Miles 22, Roughead 22, Kilpatrick 21, Maloney 21
GOALS: Ross 4, Roughead 1, Walker, Miles, Golds, Mullenger-McHugh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Brand been re-invented as a (very) tall midfielder or was the game played mostly in our defensive arc
Hasn't seen any midfield time to date and assume yesterday was the same. Very competent intercept and contested mark now. Plus assume there was a bit of chipping it round up back.

I’m a big fan but I don’t think his body is ready for afl. Let him develop at box hill and get another preseason into him. I feel patience with him will be rewarded.
He isn't quite ready but just might be smart enough to survive. Hope he gets a few games this season.

Ross plays like a young Bruest. Just gets to where the footy is a week before anyone else. Leads like Gunner but nowhere near as strong.

That is a bad loss. Pies have had an ordinary season. Our lack of ball winning mids is killing us. Howie finds it but has almost zero hurt. the problem is in the VFL he playing as an accumulator, if he gets promoted he will play in a run with role.

For all those Meadows fans, Woodward is a better player.

>>Leads like Gunner but nowhere near as strong.

Built like Gunner and kicks a little like him also. The leading will come with time..

I’m a big fan but I don’t think his body is ready for afl. Let him develop at box hill and get another preseason into him. I feel patience with him will be rewarded.
Whilst I agree he's undersized I think a couple of games at the senior level just to give him a taste would really benefit him going into another preseason. I look at Lewis who played 2 games last year and went away in the off season and worked his arse off to get more senior games as a good example. Obviously can't say for sure this is what drove him but I'd be surprised if those two games wasn't a huge motivator to improve and get that extra size on quick smart to fast track his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back