Toast Round 8 = Carlton 79-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh, they didn’t play well at all. Their pressure was through the roof in the first quarter and has been good for most of the season so far, but dropped for large portions of last night’s game.

A lot of Carlton losses follow a similar pattern. They play in bursts but concede heavily if they’re not maintaining pressure around the ball.
Their problem is simple. They only have about 10-12 good players and just don’t bat deep enough to put in a four quarter performance. They rely on dominating in bursts and their two key forwards converting, and hoping that reflects sufficiently on the scoreboard to hold on to a lead.

That’s a long winded way of saying they ain’t that good

Not even sure that was the worst decision of the night either lol

Darcy Cameron being blocked by a MIDFIELDER during a ruck contest in front of the umps face and not getting the free probably wins it
What about the blatant chop of Cox’s arm to result in the ball falling into DeKoning’s lap and a certain goal.

The Good

• The win 😍
  • The win against Carlton 😍😍
  • The win against Carlton when their supporters are expecting the win 😍😍😍
  • The win given our significant outs.
  • Our coaching - that game was won in the coaches room.
  • 8 point play against a rival
  • Sullivan’s goal ❤️
  • N.Daicos goal to win the game
  • Pendlebury’s goal
  • Our pressure
  • Matching Carlton for clearances.
  • Daicos snr’s carry-on in the box
  • 132-129-4
  • HH’s game - the future looks bright.

The Bad

• McCreery’s concussion
  • Voss’s mood on the bench 🤣
  • Andy Maher’s mood on Blues radio
  • TV commentary team. I get that commentators always have and always will barrack for a good game (talking up the team that is behind), but last night went well beyond that - when scores were level they were commentating from a Carlton-to-win POV.
  • Shoota’s discipline in the final quarter. (And not just the whack from behind)

The ugly

* Blues board post match
What is wrong with the Blues board, entertaining as f#$k once again ;)

What about the blatant chop of Cox’s arm to result in the ball falling into DeKoning’s lap and a certain goal.

If we’re relying on Cox being umpired appropriately to win us a game, let’s face it we’re screwed.

Reckon the biggest concern for Carlton in that game has to be that not only could they not have played much better than they did, basically everything went their way on the night and they still lost (and should have lost by more)
Agree, their two key pillars kicked 6 which was always going to be something to trouble us with Murphy's retirement yet we still managed to prevail while they flourished.

This wasn't a game where the demons where in Harry's head, he and Curnow were clunking and kicking them yet they still lost.

All the Blues forwards other than McKay were bad tonight.

Dunno how Orazio gets a game still. A carbon rod would offer more
homer simpson interview GIF

Underwood>Hudson. The call of Hudson’s was better, but injecting the Star 21 plug was cringe. Call the moment and plug the sponsor once we’re back in the centre square. I find his attempts to be a cut price Commetti awful at times, but Russell’s ability to change his tempo was best by a mile, IMO.
Dwayne is really good on SEN, doesn’t go too crazy with the puns like he does on Fox

I also think WHE is very safe. We do t have a player with his versatility in the team.
That's a given. He was wonderful last night. As Josh Daicos said, he halves so many aerial contests as does Bobby Hill. It's not all about kicks and hand passes. But he featured in a couple of brilliant passages. Could have kicked two in a low scoring contest bar a poster.

Underwood>Hudson. The call of Hudson’s was better, but injecting the Star 21 plug was cringe. Call the moment and plug the sponsor once we’re back in the centre square. I find his attempts to be a cut price Commetti awful at times, but Russell’s ability to change his tempo was best by a mile, IMO.

I usually like Huddo but mainly when on Fox.

When I turned on SEN I was hoping it'd be Matt Hill and Whately. Russell did a good job but it's a shame it wasn't Whately's turn to call at the time of goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic win. Good to see fringe players Harrison and Sullivan put selection pressure. Great to see Nick have 7 tackles to demonstrate a complete attacking/defence domination. Schult and Elliotts 13 tackles were an elite contribution to our pressure game.
Excellent to see Crisp, Lipinski, Moore and Pendles lift.

As each week goes by, it's as if more players are awakening to last year's form levels and gather team momentum.

I had us to be 5-3 by this stage with our 3rd loss being to Carlton. So this win really gets us back on track for top 4.
Now we have 2 months of playing bottom 10 sides except for Melbourne. And grand finalist from the previous year who start slow due to a shorter presason usually kick into around this stage.
Now we have a great opportunity to string many wins together to push up to 2/3rd on the ladder, then hold off for top 4 while we finish with a tough last third of the fixture. We will be around 9th at the end of the round and half a game off 4/5th of the ladder. So we could rocket up the ladder rapidly over the next 2 weeks.

I also think WHE is very safe. We don’t have a player with his versatility in the team.
Set up the lipinski goal just by wanting the ball more. Probably didn’t even register a stat for that. Typical WHE does things only the coaches notice but statisticians miss.

That Elliott one should have been play on because he got Cerra high so I’m not to critical of the commentary there. He was red hot though on Williams and Boyd’s stoppage tactics against Shoota and Elliott. He was also quick to point out the arm chop on Cox while BT was pontificating about Cox getting nowhere near touching it. I mean no s**t BT Pittonet did a pretty damn good Bruce Lee impersonation to allow TDK to mark.

Lewis though is one I genuinely think is biased against us. It’s subtle, but the praise is always tempered and the criticism sharp. Pre match Lyon turns to the panel members and asks Walsh or Naicos? Lo and behold Lewis picks Walsh that type of stuff.
Lewis and Dixon and knockout Cam are all Dunstall minions. Almost like a workplace clique, where you have to hate Collingwood to appease the fox footy figureheads and top brass.
Ive worked there.
My objective feedback to management was that their commentators just alienate the biggest supporter base in the land. Not smart at all. Their response:.. “f*ck em… it’s Collingwood”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back