Toast Round 8 = Carlton 79-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Daicos was huge, clear BOG, thought Pendles was our next best and really had some pivotal moments creating turnovers with intecepts through the whole game.

Hopefully Beau's okay after a knee to the face.

Weirdly even though he got scored on I actually thought Frammers played a decent game.

Moore was also good overall.

Crisp started shake but then found his power running game.

Great game of footy to watch too.

Attachments

• 1714801864792.png
    1714801864792.png
    357.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
On the Carlton board, they are complaining about Curnow's non existent second efforts:)

Must say l have not noticed it, but l probably don't look closely enough for it, but if their supporters are seeing it, there must be something to it.
I did notice a couple of times him not bothering to chase when he wasn't given his standard free kicks. I guess he's just so used to the umps blowing the whistle & giving him a free, he doesn't know what to do when the ball isn't given to him.

He just stands there waiting...

What is exciting is 6 of our next 7 opponents are in the bottom 10 - we have a serious chance to make our move on top four and a premiership in the next 7 weeks at least.

Losses to Sydney and St Kilda at the G were tough to watch but we arguably got them back at the Gabba and wins against Port and Carlton. 5-3 would have been the reasonable expectation at the start of the year up until this point. We're 4-1-3 and in impressive form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was very dull, and then Hodge is moaning about Pendles' kick from the next centre clearance claiming it's deliberate.

We deserve better than the rubbish that Ch7 produces.
It pisses me off that we have to put up with Channel 7. We've had so many great victories over the last few years and yet I can't enjoy the replays as much as I'd like because of their appalling commentary. Channel 7 treat the sport with utter contempt!

It's hard to agree with their assessment of HH:

"...
Harvey Harrison: C

Rotated at half-forward and kicked a goal but didn’t have a say on the contest.
..."

Darcy Moore was an "A" if only for his 4th quarter efforts.

OTOH, I do see the writing on the wall for Sidebum and so do they "C-".

I'm not tempted to spend much time analysing individual performances. The team result is more important here, hunting in packs and the pressure being off the charts. The collective work rate enabled the win.

And Nick. F*. Daicos.

N.B: Owies (and Popley) are gifted with the most punchable heads in the AFL.
HH was far better than that.
He crumbed a nice goal, set up goals to Lipinski, Sullivan and Nick and took a good intercept mark in D50 late in the last quarter.
And he's only 20.
Potentially has a big future.

The key takeaway for mine is we matched it with one of the better midfields in the comp without De Goey and Mitchell. Going forward we shouldn’t be afraid to mix up our midfield mix even when they come back.

Putting guys like Crisp, McCreery, Harrison through there lifts our pace well beyond what we get with Pendlebury and Mitchell in. No doubt there are elements we lose, but we gain pace and don’t compromise size/strength.

HH was far better than that.
He crumbed a nice goal, set up goals to Lipinski, Sullivan and Nick and took a good intercept mark in D50 late in the last quarter.
And he's only 20.
Potentially has a big future.

And just like that, our list doesn't seem to "lack depth".

As for the other chestnut, our opponent last night lined up with not 1 but 2 KPFs, you know, the position we bat thin in ... we won rather convincingly, even if the score was tight.

Now for people to just see the awesomeness in Hosky.

The key takeaway for mine is we matched it with one of the better midfields in the comp without De Goey and Mitchell. Going forward we shouldn’t be afraid to mix up our midfield mix even when they come back.

100%.

Beau looked compelling running through the middle for the brief time he played there and I suspect Sully will be Mitchell's successor.

What we saw last night was that collective workrate and pressure is what brings results. Walsh and Crippa are pure class as individual players (felt dirty typing that) but came up short against a stronger system.

Some observations:
We didn't make the most of our territory and pressure dominance, especially in the third quarter.
Pendles did a great job keeping Cripps quiet.
Crisp is finding some form.
Ditto Darcy Moore.
Weitering kept Checkers quiet, but we still found ways to score.
Sullivan must have been nervous, but it didn't show - a great first up effort.
HH needs to stay in the side - he gives us plenty of pace and bite around the packs.

Fixing up the scum again - how sweet it is!!

It pisses me off that we have to put up with Channel 7. We've had so many great victories over the last few years and yet I can't enjoy the replays as much as I'd like because of their appalling commentary. Channel 7 treat the sport with utter contempt!
As an alternative to idiotic, uninformed or impartial commentary, I listen to Creepy Pasta type stories while watching.

Some observations:
We didn't make the most of our territory and pressure dominance, especially in the third quarter.
Pendles did a great job keeping Cripps quiet.
Crisp is finding some form.
Ditto Darcy Moore.
Weitering kept Checkers quiet, but we still found ways to score.
Sullivan must have been nervous, but it didn't show - a great first up effort.
HH needs to stay in the side - he gives us plenty of pace and bite around the packs.

Fixing up the scum again - how sweet it is!!
They were talking about Checkers on sen & saying that it looked like he was actually tasked with dragging Weitering away from the ball, so he couldn't do his intercepting. And I'm guessing to give our small forwards the room to do their thing.

Foxtel commentating all games coming soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back