Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My go to says that JDG will play and Mitchell is out for Macrae.
I get the feeling we leaked the injury news early to a few pies friendly journalists to try and get the Cheats drinking their own hubris pre game

And then smack them between the eyes before the first bounce

Carton are the most overrated side in the competition.
A summary of their 5 wins:
-One point win against Brisbane after that putrid first half.
-5 point win against Richmond who had 3 players off early with injury.
-10 point win against Freo with huge umpire interference.
-A win against North, which means nothing.
-A good win against GWS. I’ll pay them that one. Although it was at Marvel and against GWS without their best defender.

The scoreboard flattered them against Geelong, who put the cue in the rack, as most teams do with a 5 goal lead in time on.
Carlton won the clearances as they will against us, but we will get them on the counter attack, just like Geelong did.
I would inject some run and dare by bringing back Markov for this one.

Looking forward to Friday. I think everyone in the media will be reassessing their views afterward.
I think it's relevant to acknowledge that the 1 point win against Brisbane came from being 46 points down in the second quarter. This performance encapsulated Carlton's mentality this season, where they have also fought back from two 20-point deficits against GWS to win and got within 2 kicks of Geelong late in the game, kicking 3 goals in 3 minutes when 30-odd points down.

To me these 3 performances are, for the moment, concerning for us. We are yet to string together a 4-quarter performance and will more than likely need to this Friday night if we're to get the 4 points.

As underdogs however there's plenty of upside for us. Win, and it'll show genuine improvement and an innate ability to find a way. Lose, but put in a good performance, and it'll be an expected result that the coaching staff can point to as the watermark in order to drive improvement and standards.

Beautiful kick except for his field kicking and goal
AJ is better than a lot of our other senior players .. his disposal efficiency is also good
He’s a long kick also and his goalkicking 23/22 is 36-19 G-P so don’t think many issues there.. second only to Bobby in accuracy
Beautiful kick except for his field kicking and goal kicking

Interesting discussion on SEN from Hoyne the Champion data guy.
Geel rank 1 scoring from Turnover we are Ranked 3rd
We are Ranked 6 for defending turnover Carlton 13 - verifying how fragile they are defensively.
All stats based on the first 6 rounds.

None of our players are Ranked in the Top 85 in the game and he suggested that despite the rankings above, we therefore still have huge improvement within the list.
He used Crisp as an example of same.

All very encouraging - game is definitely not a Blues win as so many are conceding.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's relevant to acknowledge that the 1 point win against Brisbane came from being 46 points down in the second quarter. This performance encapsulated Carlton's mentality this season, where they have also fought back from two 20-point deficits against GWS to win and got within 2 kicks of Geelong late in the game, kicking 3 goals in 3 minutes when 30-odd points down.

To me these 3 performances are, for the moment, concerning for us. We are yet to string together a 4-quarter performance and will more than likely need to this Friday night if we're to get the 4 points.

As underdogs however there's plenty of upside for us. Win, and it'll show genuine improvement and an innate ability to find a way. Lose, but put in a good performance, and it'll be an expected result that the coaching staff can point to as the watermark in order to drive improvement and standards.
Those wins prove Carlton can’t either though? Don’t think to many teams are. Geel prob the clear front runner

I’m more saying the Bear didn’t pull the digits out and claim his chances more than he did. Unless you are saying the same.

As I understand it, he retired because he wasn't prepared to commit to the work level needed to play senior footy going forward. His work while at the club seemed consistent with his teammates from the reports we received.

Like to see Maynard on the ball if JDG is out,
Perhaps markov back to play hbf.
Just my thoughts
Not beyond the realms of possibility. If Bruzzy is going spend time on Cripps even with JDG playing he might get a look in. Outside chance but who knows they could also play him if, as some have suggested Sidey is sub or perhaps gets subbed off, JFN could push up to a wing. HH probably ahead of him but depends what we have planned.

Those wins prove Carlton can’t either though? Don’t think to many teams are. Geel prob the clear front runner
Sure, you could argue that.

I think the more pertinent point though is that it appears to be a different Carlton this season. Last season's Carlton (at least in the first half of the season) would've dropped those games and potentially the Fremantle and Richmond games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back