Not open for further replies.
Good to see we are playing the kids.:straining:
Brand, 23 years old, 15 games
Hardwick, 20 years old, 6 games
Burton, 20 years old, 11 games
Hartung, 22 years old, 51 games
Howe, 21 years old, 19 games
O'Brien, 23 years old, 23 games

Fairly young and inexperienced bunch. I don't think we should be loading the team up with too any kids, especially when theres still a pulse and good chance of winning against the Pies.

Last edited:
O'Brien, 23 years old, 23 gams

Fairly young and inexperienced bunch. I don't think we should be loading the team up with too any kids, especially when theres still a pulse and good chance of winning against the Pies.
Spot on fella, in particular the backline which already has Hardwick, Burton, Brand - that's collectively under 50 games of experience. We needed to throw some experienced, tried and true players in there. Duryea has been down, Whitecross has been superseded - but both have had VERY solid seasons before and should at least be given a chance to save their careers.

Harsh
Ty has been reasonable at Box Hill
Hopefully he's worked out the game plan and got a bit of confidence

He's copping enough s**t from the feral masses without being smacked by our own before playing

Give the bloke a break[/QUOTE

Fair point. Maybe you can help me here, Im more not understanding the tactic rather than the personal. Mcevoy is in arguably he best form at hfc true? Tob best game for the club was a fwd/ pinch hit ruck. So what is the need for a 2nd ruck? He still persisting with the 2011-16 set up of the d.hale role.

O'Brien, 23 years old, 23 games

I get your point but Miles, Willsmore and the like are the future of the club. Yet we bring back at least two guys that won't be on our list when we are next challenging. Brand is a good inclusion but Vickery is barely getting a kick against rotten VFL opposition and Whitecross' (who I have a soft spot for) selection is just stopping a kid from getting a much needed game. And this is an area where we are sadly lacking. Hartung aside, just look at the games numbers against the rest of those kids. Your argument plays both ways.

I get your point but Miles, Willsmore and the like are the future of the club. Yet we bring back at least two guys that won't be on our list when we are next challenging. Brand is a good inclusion but Vickery is barely getting a kick against rotten VFL opposition and Whitecross' (who I have a soft spot for) selection is just stopping a kid from getting a much needed game. And this is an area where we are sadly lacking. Hartung aside, just look at the games numbers against the rest of those kids. Your argument plays both ways.

Miles is injured isn't he? 8-9 players under 50 games is a good mix imo. If we drop our next couple of games and are then no realistic chance of finals start bringing in more young players.

The reality is most of these late draft / rookies we have won't be AFL standard

In 2 weeks we could be 5 and 5.

Why surrender the season now? Why not wait til round 16 or 17 and they still get half a dozen games of experience.

Its like some people here have never seen the team struggle...

I have seen them struggle plenty. And I will support them through thick and thin. But I am a realist and they won't play finals.

Miles is injured isn't he? 8-9 players under 50 games is a good mix imo. If we drop our next couple of games and are then no realistic chance of finals start bringing in more young players.

The reality is most of these late draft / rookies we have won't be AFL standard

We have no realistic chance of finals now.

We need to get 50 games into as many guys as we can...and quickly. Vickery, and I am not having a go at him personally, was a horrible idea from a recruitment point of view but sadly, due to his wages I think that the club feels forced to select him. Don't let the couple of goals he is getting a week in the VFL fool you, he is struggling at Box Hill and completely undeserving of a recall.

Get off Vickery's back
Pathetic how some have treated a new addition to the club
If he wears the brown and gold back him in rather than bullshit on line
******* shits me

Agree.

And I wish people would show some respect to Schoey as well. People so eager to write him off - papers stamped, won't play another game at AFL level, not AFL standard etc. The guy was one of our best in the 2015 grand final and was injured for nearly all of last year, doesn't deserve such contempt. Such a lot of crap written on here sometimes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have no realistic chance of finals now.

We need to get 50 games into as many guys as we can...and quickly. Vickery, and I am not having a go at him personally, was a horrible idea from a recruitment point of view but sadly, due to his wages I think that the club feels forced to select him. Don't let the couple of goals he is getting a week in the VFL fool you, he is struggling at Box Hill and completely undeserving of a recall.

Forwards are the biggest strugglers at VFL level, they have to deal with sub-par delivery and forward 50 entries, as well as horrible playing conditions. Vickery was a failure in his first two weeks because we played him in the ruck close to 70% of the time he was on the ground! He's not a ruckman.

If he plays genuine Full Forward a'la Jenkins, he will kick goals. He's a smart player, knows when to shepherd, knows how to bring other players into the game and let them take their jump at the footy. Riewoldt is suffering from the lack of Vickery, he's the only player at Richmond who has lost output.

Harsh
Ty has been reasonable at Box Hill
Hopefully he's worked out the game plan and got a bit of confidence

He's copping enough s**t from the feral masses without being smacked by our own before playing

Give the bloke a break
In answer to your question leading into this thread Gralin, I think that we will make it 3 in a row with a close finish. Quite like the team picked except for Doc; shame he hasn't been performing to his best this year, but in saying that, I hope he does well now that he has been selected.

Up to him. If he plays a few blinders in VFL he gets ago. Anyone who is AFL standard should be killing it in the VFL, especially if their career is on the line.
I reckon Shoes went down hill following his knee reco a few seasons ago following the knee extension that occurred when hitting the ground from a leap in the pack; his confidence seems to have deserted him. since then.

I think I read somewhere that Kade has such fantastic tackle numbers because he is more often than not second to the contest, so he is probably working hard on getting the footy first. As we know it has been made more difficult for the tackler to get rewarded.

I believe Kade has the passion and desire to fix this small blemish in his game, and when he does he will be a valuable asset to our mid field.
There are no stats for tackling which makes it difficult for him too.

According to AFL.com.au, Goldsack is in doubt.

That could help Vickery or Gunston.

Plus they didn't recall Cox as a second key forward. So we should have height advantages all over the ground.

I would suspect Willsmore will not be on the list after this year.

His continued good form at VFL has never been rewarded, which paints a very bleak picture for him and where the coaches see him.

If he was to be the future of our club he'd have debuted by now.

I get the changes, but disappointed we arent rewarding the guys who keep being listed as our best players week in week out.
To me, we didnt need Fitzy in last week, but they rewarded him for his outstanding form at VFL level.
But this week, a chance to give at least one of them a crack, and we go back to the old firm.

My main issue is that we have spent the last 5-6 years at the top. So much young talent wasting away at Box Hill and taking their chance to leave when senior footy presents itself, or worst, being delisted and not being given the chance to show anything.
Now we have the opportunity to see what these kids can actually do, and so far we havent taken it.

I understand the want to win at all costs, but we arent winning anything this year and what better chance to really find out what is on our list.

Below is the selected sides with games experience behind their names, game at Hawthorn in brackets () where newish:

Blake Hardwick 6
Kaiden Brand 15
Taylor Duryea 87
Ryan Burton 11
Josh Gibson 221
Luke Hodge 293
Back line average: 105, without Gibson and Hodge 30 or 1.36 seasons

Isaac Smith 143
Shaun Burgoyne 327
Ricky Henderson 95
Ben McEvoy 154
Liam Shiels 150
Tom Mitchell 73 (7)
Midfield average: 175, with only Mitchell's 7 games 146 or 6.6 seasons

Luke Breust 148
Jack Gunston 135
Billy Hartung 51
Ty Vickery 122 (3)
Jarryd Roughead 239
Paul Puopolo 141
Forward line average: 139, with only Vickery's 3 games 119 or 5.4 seasons

Daniel Howe 19
Will Langford 54
Tim O’Brien 23
Brendan Whitecross 98
Bench average: 49 games or 2.2 seasons

Backline is quite inexperienced and our forward line and midfields both have key guys that are brand new to the squad. The bench is inexperienced or with limited sustained play.

I'm hard pressed to see where we could afford to sacrifice experience for more inexperience. Despite the vibe, the mabo, of the conversation on these boards I think the club is already taking a very aggressive approach to introducing new players to the main lineup.

I quite liked TOB as second ruck though so going shorter is not necessarily an anti Ty thing for me.

That's said - if Ty shows something this Sunday I'll be stoked. Our season needs to have some more positives
I'll be stoked if Ty shows something Saturday night, that being said it's a shame he gets so much stick form many as he genuinely a quality bloke, at least when his time up in footy he won't have any trouble getting on with life, well ajusted young man even if he does like cats.

we look a lot taller on paper than the pies so we have to utilize this to an advantage and move the ball quickly. whitex may play the defensive forward role by the look of our balance on paper and I'm happy with that, he did play that role in 2012 to great effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back