Prediction Round 9: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good point I think. Cox and Tabs are the same type of player. I do rate Cox a lot and think he'll be better than Tabs but right now you can't play Tabs, Cox and Hogan in the same team. Cox is the least beneficial to us right now. McCarthy is a different beast. He's a tall flanker not a KPP.

Worked alright against GWS.

Hogan plays very similar to McCarthy so I don’t see an issue with it. That wasn’t the reason we got beat or played poorly today.

Not saying he should go (Unless rested) but how long does Hogan get to start playing good footy?
Tabs seems lightyears ahead of him and I thought Cox probably had his measure SLIGHTLY today. I love the way Hoges bashes his body around and makes his presence felt but he seems to offer almost nothing defensively (effort wise more than ability) once they've taken possession and if your not getting lots of the ball/kicking goals that's not a great sign.

That's not what I saw. Matera's one goal was set up because Colyer went low and hard and pushed it out to him. He made some horrible skill errors but you don't drop a guy for that when you have so many other passengers

OK, would have been more correct for me to say more negative than positive things. Gather and back to Mundy for goal was nice as well. But these are basic things ALL players should be able to do and don't outweigh the negatives.

And yes, you should drop someone (especially someone so small) for horrible skill errors. I doubt Ross will though because of his effort mantra.

Cerra and Brayshaw need a rest. Colyer does my head in , upsets me every time he gets near the ball.
Blakely for Brayshaw, Duman or Logue if Logue pulled up ok from today's match Sims for Cerra. We seriously lacked pace today and there isn't much pace running around at Peel.
Crowden but he burns it , Giro ditto. Carter has pace but isn't on the list so it's Bewley I guess for Colyer.
Fyfe should be ok, Lynch is tall and Fyfe didn't raise the elbow or jump and Lynch ducked into it

OUT:
Colyer (why is there ever a need for pacy guys that can't kick?)
Brayshaw (needs a rest/isn't doing enough)

IN:
Bewley (give him a shot, can't be worse than Colyer)
Blakely (exactly what we need in the middle)

Look to filter North and Valente through at some point. Would love us to do what Richmond have been doing with Jack Ross. Bring in some young midfielders and play them mostly in the middle instead of shunting them off to the half-back/half-forward line.

If they tire/don't look up to it cycle them out for another youngster. Freshens up the look of the team and makes going to games so much more fun. Currently our young 'guns' aren't doing much of anything and it just puts more pressure on the team to perform because that's all we've got.

Cerra and Brayshaw need a rest. Colyer does my head in , upsets me every time he gets near the ball.
Blakely for Brayshaw, Duman or Logue if Logue pulled up ok from today's match Sims for Cerra. We seriously lacked pace today and there isn't much pace running around at Peel.
Crowden but he burns it , Giro ditto. Carter has pace but isn't on the list so it's Bewley I guess for Colyer.
Fyfe should be ok, Lynch is tall and Fyfe didn't raise the elbow or jump and Lynch ducked into it
Out of left field.. but for pace what about Hughes on the wing? Guy can run. Logue goes in the half back. Look at Richmond today, Macintosh is so big yet fast. Towered over Langdon.
Feel Hughes can feel that need. Colyer is too small and not great in the air.

Your boyfriend Cox is a lazy spud, even Mccarthys **** games are better.

I want us to go smaller, Blakely for one of our Tall forwards, I dont care which one.
Cox got a number of contested marks. McCarthy doesn’t do that or easily pushed off the ball. McCarthy last week va Adelaide and the week before against bulldogs.. absolutely missing. Cox at least gets involved and takes grabs. Cam isn’t fast enough for defensive pressure nor can he win a one on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra has been extremely average so far this season. For someone that used it so well last season, he’s been a butcher this season. He gets done for pace and doesn’t apply enough pressure, so I’d be dropping him for Blakely to find some touch.

I thought Brayshaw at least tackled well today but f**k me his disposal needs a lot of work.

Hogan plays very similar to McCarthy so I don’t see an issue with it. That wasn’t the reason we got beat or played poorly today.

Eh. Cox was barely sighted against GWS.

Didn't say it was why we got beaten, it's an observation that I think is true and something that I think we have to deal with when selecting the team.

The 3 challenges at selection are;
1. Blakely should come in. He's in our best 22. Ditto Darcy.
2. We need someone who'll stop the ball getting walked out of our forward 50 (do we need another mid size forward?) and,
3. Even though we went tall and Richmond were missing Riewoldt and Rance, marks inside 50 were 12-12. This is the area we could have utilized.

On the talls:

Brennan Cox - had a good return. 12 possessions won't set the world on fire, but it's a decent first game back. Went at 91.6% DE (second best on the ground) 7 marks (3 contested) 2 marks inside 50 and a goal assist.

Rory Lobb - looked the most dangerous in the air inside 50 - would love to see him play more time up there. A bit robbing Peter, luckily, we have Paul on the list. Led the team for Marks inside 50. Work-rate was terrific. Needs to convert more shots though. 1.2 is a bit wasteful.

Alex Pearce - Not his best game, but will bounce back. Having a great year.

Joel Hamling - Saved our bacon on numerous occasions. Truly underrated footballer.

Jesse Hogan - Showed some class at times, but I still think he's in second gear coming back from the foot injury. Also think the mids are still working out how to use him. A bit more connection might help, and will come with time.

Matt Taberner - 8 marks (3 contested) is a decent return. Not exactly Naughton numbers, but decent. Dropped a simple chest mark 20 meters out, then sprayed the kick like he's never seen an oval ball before. 18 disposals at 72.2% DE. Just the 1 mark inside 50.

So, provided Fyfe doesn't get rubbed out - I'd go:

OUT: Colyer, Taberner, Nyhuis
IN: Blakely, Banfield, Darcy

B: Hughes, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Wilson, Pearce, Cerra
C: Hill, Mundy, Langdon
HF: Walters, Cox, Switta
F: Banfield, Hogan, Matera
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Blakely
I: Lobb, Conca, Brayshaw, Tucker

Last edited:

Ahhh our slow as molasses tall forwards is a massive reason we got beat today. Basher and that other hb they have walked it out our back line. There is zero pressure being applied to opposition hbs at the moment. Tabs, Cox and Hogan (hes ok I guess) could be the worst defensive forward trio in the league.
* me what I wouldnt give for like a genuine medium with a bunch of pace, it doesnt help Matera is one of the worst tackling small forwards in the comp as well.

The 3 challenges at selection are;
1. Blakely should come in. He's in our best 22. Ditto Darcy.
2. We need someone who'll stop the ball getting walked out of our forward 50 (do we need another mid size forward?) and,
3. Even though we went tall and Richmond were missing Riewoldt and Rance, marks inside 50 were 12-12. This is the area we could have utilized.

On the talls:

Brennan Cox - had a good return. 12 possessions won't set the world on fire, but it's a decent first game back. Went at 91.6% DE (second best on the ground) 7 marks (3 contested) 2 marks inside 50 and a goal assist.

Rory Lobb - looked the most dangerous in the air inside 50 - would love to see him play more time up there. A bit robbing Peter, luckily, we have Paul on the list. Led the team for Marks inside 50. Work-rate was terrific. Needs to convert more shots though. 1.2 is a bit wasteful.

Alex Pearce - Not his best game, but will bounce back. Having a great year.

Joel Hamling - Saved our bacon on numerous occasions. Truly underrated footballer.

Jesse Hogan - Showed some class at times, but I still think he's in second gear coming back from the foot injury. Also think the mids are still working out how to use him. A bit more connection might help, and will come with time.

Matt Taberner - 8 marks (3 contested) is a decent return. Not exactly Naughton numbers, but decent. Dropped a simple chest mark 20 meters out, then sprayed the kick like he's never seen an oval ball before. 18 disposals at 72.2% DE. Just the 1 mark inside 50.

So, provided Fyfe doesn't get rubbed out - I'd go:

OUT: Colyer, Taberner, Nyhuis
IN: Blakely, Banfield, Darcy

B: Hughes, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Wilson, Pearce, Cerra
C: Hill, Mundy, Langdon
HF: Walters, Cox, Switta
F: Banfield, Hogan, Matera
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Blakely
I: Lobb, Conca, Brayshaw, Tucker
I feel like Darcy in and Lobb finally gets the freedom he can play with. Saw that today.
Really think that Tabs/Hogan/Cox as full time FF and Lobb with the testing ruck will get us wins.
The smalls we need to balance out. Schulz should be in for me.
Tabs and Nyhuis won’t be dropped.
Colyer for Schulz
Cerra for Blakely
Brayshaw for Darcy

The two youngsters need a break. Only players can think off to take out to maximize what we have.

Ahhh our slow as molasses tall forwards is a massive reason we got beat today. Basher and that other hb they have walked it out our back line. There is zero pressure being applied to opposition hbs at the moment. Tabs, Cox and Hogan (hes ok I guess) could be the worst defensive forward trio in the league.
**** me what I wouldnt give for like a genuine medium with a bunch of pace, it doesnt help Matera is one of the worst tackling small forwards in the comp as well.
I’d be okay if we had a Mayne And Ballas. But you’re right. So slow once the ball hits the deck

ALso this iteration of the Lyon foot soldier has nothing on the 2013 version. They are quicker but worse in every other way. I can not believe I'm saying this but I think on average we had more s**t disposers today in the 22 than the 2013 era.

ALso this iteration of the Lyon foot soldier has nothing on the 2013 version. They are quicker but worse in every other way. I can not believe I'm saying this but I think on average we had more **** disposers today in the 22 than the 2013 era.
Disagree. We have the quality. But Ross is playing them like well trained bulldogs. It’s frustrating. Same 2012 game plan to this current season. There’s no change.
The foot soldiers we have are better use of the ball. Yet playing both ways.
Hogan is a freaking FF, yet he’s been run rugged playing as a defensive forward too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back