Preview Round 9: Essendon vs The Orange Team, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 9 sees us return home after successfully securing the 4 points in Perth, in what amazingly enough, is a battle for a position in the top 4.

GWS is also looking a little bit vulnerable, with Tom Green expected to miss with injury and Callum Brown potentially out with suspension, though I can see GWS are already laying the seeds for a “Good Guy” plea.. To be fair though, I think Brown shouldn’t get suspended, he doesn’t jump, he quickly tucked his arms at literally the last second.. The “he elected to bump” argument isn’t really accurate here, he went right at the ball the whole time. Still we get screwed every time, so heck em!

Anyways.. Back to more important matters.. When was the last time Essendon went 4 weeks without a loss? Also, when was the last time the luck has gone in our favour multiple times instead of against? Lastly.. Can we please have an easy win soon so I just hecken relax while watching football; Feels like I’ve aged years in the last few weeks.

The Round That Was

Whilst we never actually lost the lead, it did feel like we were only just hanging onto it for most of the 2nd half. The Eagles put up a helluva fight and were almost able to take advantage of our mediocre accuracy, however, every time they got close, Zach hecken Merret, stood in their way. It really felt like they were pressing, Merret would kick a goal, take a big mark, get an important assist, lay a big tackle, and a goal assist.

2F9jFCaQgVpG4QF3rFZfRM2GZoGq-L5Jyx9wpXHl800JYc1IpokYy4w-imp8xYMW8LzXDuiPtXAor4amHfAhPsEKXaYNenM0zOOCX7EEBc70qkCaY5JxNgbPtwXzHxu9x9U0Ba9HzOQvInujwwg1Ww8

As much as I like Heppell, I’ve never been convinced he was the one to lead up to multiple finals victories.. I don’t feel the same way with Zach; he really is one of the best captains in the league.

WEST COAST 1.1 4.2 8.5 11.5 (71)
ESSENDON 2.5 7.6 10.8 11.11 (77)

GOALS
West Coast: Watermelonman 3, J Williams 3, Darling 2, Chesser, B Williams, Yeo
Essendon: Merrett 3, Langford 3, Wright 2, Durham, Duursma, Stringer

BEST
West Coast: Waterman, Kelly, Duggan, McGovern, J Williams
Essendon: Merrett, Parish, Durham, Martin, Langford, Perkins

INJURIES
West Coast: Long (knee), Yeo (groin)
Essendon: Caldwell (calf tightness)

LATE CHANGES
West Coast: Ryan Maric (illness) replaced in selected side by Dom Sheed
Essendon: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
West Coast: Harvey Johnston (replaced Noah Long at three-quarter time)
Essendon: Ben Hobbs (replaced Jye Caldwell in the third quarter)

Crowd: 51,751 at Optus Stadium

GWS on the other faced ladder leaders Sydney and were in the end found wanting, going down by 29 points; a score that ultimately flatters GWS.

SYDNEY 2.6 6.8 10.11 14.14 (98)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 5.3 5.5 8.5 10.9 (69)

GOALS
Sydney: Hayward 4, Rowbottom 2, Warner, Papley, McLean, McDonald, Jordon, Heeney, Gulden, Amartey
Greater Western Sydney: Hogan 2, Daniels 2, Cadman 2, Brown 2, Peatling, Jones

BEST
Sydney: Heeney, Hayward, Gulden, Grundy, Rowbottom, Warner, Rampe
Greater Western Sydney: Kelly, Peatling, Daniels, Callaghan, Ward

INJURIES
Sydney: McCartin (head knock)
Greater Western Sydney: Green (ankle)

SUBSTITUTES
Sydney: Robbie Fox (replaced Tom McCartin in the second quarter)
Greater Western Sydney: Harvey Thomas (replaced Tom Green in the second quarter)

Crowd: 40,337 at the SCG

The Last Time We Met

Jesus hecken christ.. Another game I didn't want to ever relive.. Probably our 3rd worst game in the last 20 years… heck Jesse Hogan .. heck this stat line.. 9 Goals 1, 24 Disposals, 17 marks, 6 Contested marks…

aM2LX6ytDVGd5N3oLUL0X08nm_rsRfP17W8ugdTvFsa_Z_qHfuO9gOx1sxNA0Ha9NZ3LMVGLlqsGSoW2WnsUCaIF2Jgu9JnnFVsRJHDuWDJegOzFSbp11hxxODTuceonViWaBl7I1fXdQcAvqHd3N_A

The silver lining was this was probably the game that had us going all out for Ben “Buckets” McKay.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 7.3 13.5 20.6 25.12 (162)
ESSENDON 1.0 2.1 4.4 5.6 (36)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney: Hogan 9, Daniels 3, Greene 2, Bedford 2, Riccardi, Lloyd, Himmelberg, Green, Fahey, Coniglio, Brown, Ash, McMullin
Essendon: Langford 2, Phillips, Menzie, Caldwell

BEST
Greater Western Sydney: Hogan, Green, Coniglio, Himmelberg, Ward, Whitfield, Kelly
Essendon: Parish, Hind, McGrath, Merrett

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney: TBC
Essendon: TBC

SUBSTITUTES
Greater Western Sydney: Toby McMullin (replaced Toby Greene in the third quarter)
Essendon: Jake Stringer (replaced Matt Guelfi in the second quarter)

Crowd: 10,281 at Giants Stadium

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -
Hobbs -
Davey - Conflicted here - isn’t getting enough of the ball or impacting the scoreboard, but is still one of our better pressure players.
Cadwell - If Injured
Lav - Won’t happen but I wanna see Hayes
Goldy - Rest

Possible Ins -
The lack of a VFL this week sucks.
Hayes -
Roberts -
Shiel - (Solid Sub choice)
Hind - (Could he just play as a pressure forward?)

My Prediction

Still carrying the scars of the last game - GWS by 15

Last edited:
GWS gettable at home with Brown and Tom Green out.

If Draper is fit, then give Goldstein a rest for Draper.

Changes
Out: Goldstein, Caldwell (inj) and Davey
In: Draper, Tsatas and Hind

We won't get them at a better time this year, if we want to do something this year need to win 2 out of this, blues and suns at the gold coast... as well as not dropping any game we should win (north, tigers & eagles again) in the next 7 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to be a chance with Tom Green out and Brown will get suspended for sure - not going to get a better shot than this. Current odds for the Bombers of $2.40 very tempting…After the trip West I think Scott will look to freshen up the team a little - but I’m hoping Caldwell is right to go he’s been super in 2024…I’d like to see Bryan get a run - he should be able to at least negate Briggs, Tsatas very good in the VFL & has to be close to a call up and Shiel might get his first run for the year against his old club…I think Jones, Hobbs & Davey are the players likely to make way.

So as an early call I’d go;-

OUT: Jones, Hobbs, Davey
IN: Bryan, Tsatas, Shiel

Team;-

Cox McKay Laverde
Martin Redman McGrath
Kelly Merrett Duursma
Perkins Langford Shiel
Stringer 2MP Gresham

Bryan Durham Parish

Bench: Caldwell Tsatas Heppell Goldy
SUB: Guelfi

Still some structural things to work out with the side.

Thought the team really missed having a 2nd big body in the forward line. Jones has been playing well but he’s just too slight to hold position/establish a contested spot. But does really well as the 2nd man up.

Caldwell looked really good working back and playing outside/off HB as a mid. Still going to spruke for that being his full time role (HB/Mid)

Perkins was rusty but should be much better for the hit out.

Probably the best game I’ve seen Jake Kelly play for Essendon. Ran hard tackled well and even showed some run and willingness to move the ball.

Credit to Redman for doing the team thing and unselfishly playing Ridleys role while he’s out since he’s the most reliable guy back there.

Ridley/Reid/Setterfield/Draper to walk straight back into the side when healthy is going sure some things up

Jake Stringer is both Essendon and the Oppos biggest structural headache.

For me for the giants game keep things mostly the same.

Lav Mckay redman
Martin Cox Caldwell
Dursma merrett Kelly
Draper parish Durham
Perkins Jones Gresham
Langford Wright Davey

IC Hepp, Hobbs, Stringer, Goldy
Sub: Guelfi

Persisting with Davey because I think he’ll be better for it. Could easily drop him (start Guelfi and have Hind as Sub)

Persisting with Davey because I think he’ll be better for it. Could easily drop him (start Guelfi and have Hind as Sub)
Davey still looks to thin to be effective just yet. He was largely missing in the WC game. Swap in Hind for him.
Guelfi played pretty well, he should stay.

Still some structural things to work out with the side.

Thought the team really missed having a 2nd big body in the forward line. Jones has been playing well but he’s just too slight to hold position/establish a contested spot. But does really well as the 2nd man up.

Caldwell looked really good working back and playing outside/off HB as a mid. Still going to spruke for that being his full time role (HB/Mid)

Perkins was rusty but should be much better for the hit out.

Probably the best game I’ve seen Jake Kelly play for Essendon. Ran hard tackled well and even showed some run and willingness to move the ball.

Credit to Redman for doing the team thing and unselfishly playing Ridleys role while he’s out since he’s the most reliable guy back there.

Ridley/Reid/Setterfield/Draper to walk straight back into the side when healthy is going sure some things up

Jake Stringer is both Essendon and the Oppos biggest structural headache.

For me for the giants game keep things mostly the same.

Lav Mckay redman
Martin Cox Caldwell
Dursma merrett Kelly
Draper parish Durham
Perkins Jones Gresham
Langford Wright Davey

IC Hepp, Hobbs, Stringer, Goldy
Sub: Guelfi

Who did Kelly stop last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back