Preview Round 9: Essendon vs The Orange Team, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way Kelly will be dropped. Kept Ryan out of the game.

Out: Goldy, Davey
In: Draper, Shiel
I think this is about right.
Coach ain’t big on swinging lots of changes. Fair enough whilst the team’s winning.

Shiel is a solid upgrade in personnel - even if it requires a bit of rejiggering of roles.

Goldie looks like he needs a spell. Draper is hopefully motivated and fresh.

I think this is about right.
Coach ain’t big on swinging lots of changes. Fair enough whilst the team’s winning.

Shiel is a solid upgrade in personnel - even if it requires a bit of rejiggering of roles.

Goldie looks like he needs a spell. Draper is hopefully motivated and fresh.
If Goldy’s out I wouldn’t mind bringing both Draper and Bryan.

Out Goldy, Davey, Hobbs
In Draper, Bryan, Sheil

Sub Stringer (Ducks)

Still some structural things to work out with the side.

Thought the team really missed having a 2nd big body in the forward line. Jones has been playing well but he’s just too slight to hold position/establish a contested spot. But does really well as the 2nd man up.

Caldwell looked really good working back and playing outside/off HB as a mid. Still going to spruke for that being his full time role (HB/Mid)

Perkins was rusty but should be much better for the hit out.

Probably the best game I’ve seen Jake Kelly play for Essendon. Ran hard tackled well and even showed some run and willingness to move the ball.

Credit to Redman for doing the team thing and unselfishly playing Ridleys role while he’s out since he’s the most reliable guy back there.

Ridley/Reid/Setterfield/Draper to walk straight back into the side when healthy is going sure some things up

Jake Stringer is both Essendon and the Oppos biggest structural headache.

For me for the giants game keep things mostly the same.

Lav Mckay redman
Martin Cox Caldwell
Dursma merrett Kelly
Draper parish Durham
Perkins Jones Gresham
Langford Wright Davey

IC Hepp, Hobbs, Stringer, Goldy
Sub: Guelfi

Persisting with Davey because I think he’ll be better for it. Could easily drop him (start Guelfi and have Hind as Sub)
Andy McGrath dislikes this.

I don’t get the pessimism about this game, I’m confident we can win this week. We have won 3/1 last games at Marvel against the Giants. We are a better side than last year, and they have injury concerns with their ruck and a key fwd suspended. We will have extra troops available. We should win (perhaps I’m just over optimistic?) but!! 👍💪

Under the roof at Marvel, I can see Brad wanting to play the two rucks and opting for a taller forward line.

In - Draper
Out - Davey/Hobbs

Other than that, I can’t see any other changes. Would like Hayes to come in but with Brown out, I don’t think there is a need for a tall defender.

I still don’t get the algorithm.

Choose to bump for no reason, while running at high speed..
3 weeks

Jump at the ball and then turn to protect yourself…
4 weeks
But also 1 week sometimes

He didn't choose to bump, it was the most half hearted brace you will ever see.
He's another player that has went to contest the ball and realized at the last minute that he's not going to contest it and has protected himself, you know that natural response when you are about to take contact.

The line up and kill a bloke with a bump is largely dead in this sport. You get maybe 1 a month.

It's very simple in the AFLs eyes,
You either don't protect yourself at all and let the chips fall where they may.
Or you pull out of the contest completely and not contest the ball.

Both are absolute shithouse options, the least we as fans can do is not be disingenuous when discussing them.
Greene got 3 because he jumped in the air, he's Toby Greene and the guy didn't get concussed.
Wright got 4 because he leapt in the air and annihilated the guy.
Brown got 3 because he concussed the bloke but didn't jump and just clumsily braced.

He's another player that has went to contest the ball and realized at the last minute that he's not going to contest it and has protected himself, you know that natural response when you are about to take contact.

The line up and kill a bloke with a bump is largely dead in this sport. You get maybe 1 a month.

Both are absolute shithouse options, the least we as fans can do is not be disingenuous when discussing them.
Greene got 3 because he jumped in the air, he's Toby Greene and the guy didn't get concussed.
Brown got 3 because he concussed the bloke but didn't jump and just clumsily braced.
Yep - you're right on the way the AFL see it.

To your point on being disingenuous .. not sure what you're really getting at, and it's probably unnecessary to say that. My initial take on the Brown incident was it was more than just bracing in a marking contest - he was seeking contact and bumped. Reading your view, I went back and watched it again. It's maybe more ambiguous than my first read, so I'll stand down.

But if you're going to call out what fans should do, you should also want them to be accurate. Greene got 1, not 3. I personally don't reckon that is fair in the context of Wright & Brown..

Yep, unfortunately or fortunately (for the player) we know so much more about CTE now. As you say, the AFL are clear. Bracing when the head is exposed is running the risk of a mediun suspension, esp if the player is concussed.

Frustrating as a fan who grew up watching footy in 70s/80s/90s but the effects of CTE will surely claim many more heroes of that era. Was just watching some in depth stuff on past MMA fighters with CTE and it is frightening, worse than boxing. The AFL must protect players to the best of their ability notwitstanding accidents can happen.

Look at Libba, 4 concussion incidents in a short space of time, now faces extended period out of the game, maybe even retirement (just my opinion). That stumble when Parish called out was massive red flags to me. If he was a boxer he would have already been ruled out for a year. I was flabbergasted when Bevo said it was just a trip with a straight face. I would not be surprised if in the near future any concussion rules you out for a month. The experts are saying the science points to the brain needing time to heal.

I just want consistency from the tribunal. They need to be more consistant and scrap "good bloke" discounts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I follow both clubs and I think Essendon should be slight favourites. Giants despite the good record have been very shakey except the game against Brisbane. Basically if you stop Tom Green you stop most of the Giants contested ball.

Saints had Steele own him and Carlton had Cripps own him.

At Marvel and potentially no Green or an underdone Green, Essendons extremely potent midfield should manhandle the Giants on the inside.

We should also send someone to stop Whitfield, a hard tagging forward like Guelfi possibly.

Last concern is their intercept game. We need the big guys to make a contest but we've been good at that.

So I follow both clubs and I think Essendon should be slight favourites. Giants despite the good record have been very shakey except the game against Brisbane. Basically if you stop Tom Green you stop most of the Giants contested ball.

Saints had Steele own him and Carlton had Cripps own him.

At Marvel and potentially no Green or an underdone Green, Essendons extremely potent midfield should manhandle the Giants on the inside.

We should also send someone to stop Whitfield, a hard tagging forward like Guelfi possibly.

Last concern is their intercept game. We need the big guys to make a contest but we've been good at that.
I'm mostly concerned about their run on a fast deck like Marvel. Regarding their intercepts, we're very prone to unforced errors by foot and they punish turnovers. We've seen how little comprehensively winning the inside battle meant vs Sydney and Collingwood when we give up a lot of points from turnovers against fast transitioning sides. This is where we'll struggle the most vs a hard running side like GWS.

They'll let us dominate the midfield and transition from Taylor's intercepts.

I wouldnt be surprised if Davey has to go and develop a will for contact in the VFL and Guelfi stays in.
The idea that the sub isn't in the side is crazy to me. They're literally playing in the game.

I'm mostly concerned about their run on a fast deck like Marvel. Regarding their intercepts, we're very prone to unforced errors by foot and they punish turnovers. We've seen how little comprehensively winning the inside battle meant vs Sydney and Collingwood when we give up a lot of points from turnovers against fast transitioning sides. This is where we'll struggle the most vs a hard running side like GWS.

They'll let us dominate the midfield and transition from Taylor's intercepts.

GWS are a fantastic transition team, every bit as good as Sydney on that front. Hopefully our talls bring their marking game this week because once the ball hits the deck in our forward-line there's a strong chance it'll be coming back out at a million miles an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back