The Law Royal Commission into Child Abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to ask if these people behaved that way despite the prevailing cultural expectation within these organisations. Or whether the cultural norms within condone or actually encourage such behaviours

I saw some professor on acct rubbishing science then deliver half baked arguments about how bible teachings exactly account for everything

This guy required those he ridiculed to be accountable for everything. But employed slippery speaking techniques when the dialog seemed to require accountability from him

There's this whole culture of unnacountability to soceity using its slippery teachings and phrases as a get out

Was Jesus the last Christian in history to display accountability?

The offender was a christian brother. Because I refused to let this odious little prick to destroy my life, I have no problem discussing his activities. My reason for the interview with O'Callaghan, in about 1997, was because of a fear I had that this pustule might still have had contact with children. I gained no satisfaction on that score and found the whole process to be self-serving for the church.

After I told him my story, O'Callaghan commented that I seemed to him to be a well-adjusted individual, and that it would be unlikely I would receive compensation; completely and deliberately missing the point of the entire exercise. Essentially, O'Callaghan had no interest in the case because there was no prospect of the church being liable for any payment.

Also, it seems that the Melbourne Response was set up to deal only with offences committed by priests, rather than brothers. This is another reason O'Callaghan was so cavalier in his attitude towards me, and presumably others so affected. Even in setting up the guidelines for how it operated, they were trying to minimize their exposure to legal liability. As has been shown at the RC, the rates of offending by brothers was more than double that of priests. Pell would have known this, better than anyone. His only interests were in trying to salvage the tattered reputation of his church and preserving their ill-gotten coffers.

BishopAccountability.org This is a website of a former teacher at catholic schools, who has spent decades investigating paedophilia and violent physical abuse by priests and brothers, particularly in Western Australia. His report, commissioned by the church, was scathing, and ignored. Peculiarly and coincidentally, he shares a surname with my abuser. I'm unsure if they're related. If they are related, their lives could not have been conducted more differently.

I congratulate you on your resilience. Truly.

The Melbourne Response was set up to deal with priests in the Melbourne diocese. That is certainly true. As Bishops report directly to Rome, Pell could only set up a facility within his jurisdiction. I'd say that your inability to get compensation through the Melbourne Response was due to this, not to your presentation. Were you able to get the abuser jailed?

I congratulate you on your resilience. Truly.

The Melbourne Response was set up to deal with priests in the Melbourne diocese. That is certainly true. As Bishops report directly to Rome, Pell could only set up a facility within his jurisdiction. I'd say that your inability to get compensation through the Melbourne Response was due to this, not to your presentation. Were you able to get the abuser jailed?
I wanted no compensation. I merely wanted that the predator stopped his predations. In this I failed miserably.

I found out that this mother****er kept trying the same stunt he did with me for at least four years after I left school. To their eternal credit, the senior students in one year bashed s**t out of him when he tried to entertain his sexual predilections with one of their 13 year-old co-students.

Last edited:

I wanted no compensation. I merely wanted that the predator stopped his predations. In this I failed miserably.

I found out that this mother****er kept trying the same stunt he did with me for at least four years after I left school. To their eternal credit, the senior students in one year bashed s**t out of him when he tried to entertain his sexual predilections with one of their 13 years-old co-students.
I feel saddened by your experience.
So familiar to other stories from people I have known and sadly one took his own life.
This is why I am pushing the government via a Greens Senator to make sure that there is a national database set up for Working with Children checks. At the moment you can be refused in one state and apply in another state without anyone checking previous applications. Even the checks are not uniform.
RC made this recommendation to the g'ment in Nov 2015 and nothing has been actioned.

I feel saddened by your experience.
So familiar to other stories from people I have known and sadly one took his own life.
This is why I am pushing the government via a Greens Senator to make sure that there is a national database set up for Working with Children checks. At the moment you can be refused in one state and apply in another state without anyone checking previous applications. Even the checks are not uniform.
RC made this recommendation to the g'ment in Nov 2015 and nothing has been actioned.
As it happens, due to my continued involvement in cricket, I had to endure one of these checks. I think it a good idea, despite the fact that they never found out what an absolute mongrel I am.

40% of St John of God operatives were found by the RC to have offended, against the mentally disabled and slow learners. This is an indication of the exertion of power against the helpless and gullible among those in their care, who showed such trust in these criminals. The same could be said of offenders who dealt with children not so-afflicted.
Never heard of that branch of the paedosect but it doesn't surprise me that it was higher amongst those looking after the most vulnerable.

At least a third of Australia's male population was educated by Marist or Christian brothers, and if one in five was the rate of which the brothers were paedos, then you had better odds playing Russian roulette than avoiding one of them.

If the law was applied equally they'd be declared a criminal organisation and their assets seized.

According to an article I read years ago 5-10% of people have pedo instincts. I have no idea what % act on these instincts but at a guess 20-40%.

The over representation is staggering.

Given the major reason for this is the church was too tight to pay for the families of priests. They effectively actively sought out single men with sexual dysfunction or sexual deviates to save money.

Given this is the case, the punishment needs to be financial to the point of insolvency.

According to an article I read years ago 5-10% of people have pedo instincts. I have no idea what % act on these instincts but at a guess 20-40%.

The over representation is staggering.

Given the major reason for this is the church was too tight to pay for the families of priests. They effectively actively sought out single men with sexual dysfunction or sexual deviates to save money.

Given this is the case, the punishment needs to be financial to the point of insolvency.
The last two Popes and probably more,along with their church,should be tried for crimes against humanity.
More noise needs to be made,cathoilcs should be made to feel very very bad and guilty for these crimes of rape and torture against the most vulnerable in our society.
I heard the Archbishop of Brisbane say,that catholics everywhere will be feeling shame and guilt about the knowledge we now have,yet,as they always do,in not mentioning the people responsible for allowing the continuation of these crimes,absolvency.
He then went on to say that catholic churches and schoosl are now the safest places of all,because of the new protocols they'd instituted.
If the RC had not taken place,it would have definitely been business as usual.
Stubborn blind arrogance still pervades this criminal institution.

The figure is 6% as quoted by Richard Sipe in Spotlight
7% was the figure quoted at this RC and that included all persons associated with the Catholic Church.
Priests only would be higher I would think. This only takes into account those who have actually come forward too. Fair chance there are many, many more who have died or never had the guts to take their allegations to the church or authorities.
This goes against past claims the percentage would be the same as the general community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet he did more than most State institutions in terms of helping victims with assistance and compensation.

I guess its much easier to direct hate at an individual than an entire system.
If you seriously believe that it is pointless carrying on a discussion with you.
History will show Pell to be at best a man who covered up and at worst a participant.

If you seriously believe that it is pointless carrying on a discussion with you.
History will show Pell to be at best a man who covered up and at worst a participant.

I didnt say he did nothing wrong. I said he did more to help than state institutions. That is a fact. Governments treated victims disgracefully. Shamefully low compensation and would send the grubs interstate to avoid prosecution.

I didnt say he did nothing wrong. I said he did more to help than state institutions. That is a fact. Governments treated victims disgracefully. Shamefully low compensation and would send the grubs interstate to avoid prosecution.
Why was the onus on governments to pay for compensation on behalf of the Catholic Church?

Why was the onus on governments to pay for compensation on behalf of the Catholic Church?

You seriously are addicted to the Catholic Church. Here is a hint: children got abused in other places. Often run by... State governments.

Schools. Homes for orphans. Etc.

Until the 1980s, teachers accused of fiddling with kids tended to get moved around the state or sent interstate without involving the police.

I dont know how you can claim to be so involved in watching this process yet have so little idea about how widespread the abuse of children used to be.

The media really have got you hooked on PELL PELL PELL. And I would say the state governments are very happy about the focus being on the Catholic Church.

You seriously are addicted to the Catholic Church. Here is a hint: children got abused in other places. Often run by... State governments.

Schools. Homes for orphans. Etc.

Until the 1980s, teachers accused of fiddling with kids tended to get moved around the state or sent interstate without involving the police.

I dont know how you can claim to be so involved in watching this process yet have so little idea about how widespread the abuse of children used to be.

The media really have got you hooked on PELL PELL PELL. And I would say the state governments are very happy about the focus being on the Catholic Church.
Pie eyed was discussing the Catholic Church, then you introduced the government. Was merely questioning that.
In so far as the rest of your post is concerned, ignored!

Pie eyed was discussing the Catholic Church, then you introduced the government. Was merely questioning that.
In so far as the rest of your post is concerned, ignored!

Rather typical of bleeding hearts. Only cares about pet projects and not the big picture. Worries about the thousands abused by Catholics and not the tens of thousands abused in State institutions.

Noted.

At least you are honest about it.

Rather typical of bleeding hearts. Only cares about pet projects and not the big picture. Worries about the thousands abused by Catholics and not the tens of thousands abused in State institutions.

Noted.

At least you are honest about it.
You mean I should be more like you and deflect?

Worries about the thousands abused by Catholics and not the tens of thousands abused in State institutions.

Noted.

At least those abused in state institutions did not suffer the indignity of their abuser claiming to be the repository of all morality.

That you would so pathetically defend such monsters is unconscionable.

At least those abused in state institutions did not suffer the indignity of their abuser claiming to be the repository of all morality.

Only the religious can mix oil and water and create wine from water or indeed allow salt water and pure water to mix.
The religious aim the rest of humanity to the end of times with glee and the rape and torture of children is just the beginning.
We must punish these people with the utmost fervour of our outraged disbelief in their systems.
It is time.
You're a ******* champ Skilts!:thumbsu::rainbow:

1. so getting raped by someone is worse when they are really moralistic and indignant? Im sure the kids in state institutions would feel better knowing that.

2. I havent defended anyone. I have merely pointed out facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back