Opinion Rule Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

And another thing. Didn't the AFL run Carlton and Melbourne over the coals for tanking a few years ago?

"How dare you not try your very best to win every game? It doesn't matter if you're not going to make finals, every AFL game is important!" - The AFL to lower ranked teams

"Hey we're just gonna bring in a bunch of new trial rules because your games don't matter lol" - Also the AFL to lower ranked teams
Also with new rule changes, if losing will get a team a lower draft pick, it's easier to hide tanking, by just appearing to not be good at the new rules.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...afl-over-potential-rule-changes-ng-b88908708z

Chris Masten with the hardest hit of his career!

“I think the AFL is ridiculous. Just leave the sport alone and it will get figured out,” the 29-year-old said.

“I don’t agree with it, I think it’s stupid but they’re going to do what they’re going to do.

“I don’t know, maybe I’m a bit old-fashioned but I like the sport the way it is.

He said the players felt overlooked.

“Players have no input in the rules, the AFL literally just do what they want,” he said.

“Especially coming from Western Australia, it’s as if we’re irrelevant over here, so no one is going to listen.”

I am sure that our coaching group has given this zero thought, but rule changes and new interpretations are really going to stuff us.

Spread/speed, skills, leading forwards. We don't have it.

I wonder how far we fall next year?

One simple rule to reduce congestion would be eliminating "no-prior." A player would HTB whenever tackled without disposing the ball; regardless whether there was chance to do it or not. There would be fewer ball-ups, restricted to cases when players grab the ball simultaneously.

There would also be less incentive to grab the ball from the floor during contests, reducing the number of players going low, head first, to the ball — diminishing the risk of concussion. Players would mostly attempt to tap or soccer the ball away; only grabbing it when there is space enough to kick, handball, or run with it.

One simple rule to reduce congestion would be eliminating "no-prior." A player would HTB whenever tackled without disposing the ball; regardless whether there was chance to do it or not. There would be fewer ball-ups, restricted to cases when players grab the ball simultaneously.

There would also be less incentive to grab the ball from the floor during contests, reducing the number of players going low, head first, to the ball — diminishing the risk of concussion. Players would mostly attempt to tap or soccer the ball away; only grabbing it when there is space enough to kick, handball, or run with it.

We shouldn't completely get rid of prior opportunity. The game has been build around encouraging players to win the ball, we don't want to make it a game where players hover around packs waiting for someone else to touch the ball so you can grab them and get an instant free kick.

The amount of times guys get tackled and just through the ball or drop it and gets called as play on is laughable, yet the AFL sit back and say "oh why s the game congested" actually start playing holding the ball when they should be and it'd do wonders.

The amount of times guys get tackled and just through the ball or drop it and gets called as play on is laughable, yet the AFL sit back and say "oh why s the game congested" actually start playing holding the ball when they should be and it'd do wonders.

The dominant interpretation clearly is that dropping the ball is a legal way of disposing it, indeed.

We shouldn't completely get rid of prior opportunity. The game has been build around encouraging players to win the ball, we don't want to make it a game where players hover around packs waiting for someone else to touch the ball so you can grab them and get an instant free kick.

I don't think players would "hover around packs waiting," because no one would grab the ball. Such a waiting would be useless. I would guess that players would try to take the ball out of congestion through taps or soccers, until someone is open enough to have time to grab and either handball or kick it. The ball would tend to remain alive within the congestion.

Some players would still try to grab and run, but then they would need to be immediatelly protected by their teammates. Shepherding would become even more relevant, being key to both opening space for the grab and protecting the player with the ball.

As I imagine it, congestions would become series of bumps, taps, and soccers, until either the ball is out or someone commits a penalty (be it HTB, illegal disposal, push-in-the-back, high tackle, tripping, etc.).

The silliest idea going around is how football was this beautiful free flowing game played from end to end until evil coaches, ridiculously fit players and short-sighted rule changes conspired to destroy the magic and produce a repulsive Mordor world of football.

Stop living in an idealised mythological past. Football is a tough brutal game. Players are bigger, fitter and more skillful than ever. Coaches are more strategic. Let them work it out. There are plenty of very good to great watchable games. There will always be dross games and it is up to the clubs to improve just as it always has been.

The silliest idea going around is how football was this beautiful free flowing game played from end to end until evil coaches, ridiculously fit players and short-sighted rule changes conspired to destroy the magic and produce a repulsive Mordor world of football.

Stop living in an idealised mythological past. Football is a tough brutal game. Players are bigger, fitter and more skillful than ever. Coaches are more strategic. Let them work it out. There are plenty of very good to great watchable games. There will always be dross games and it is up to the clubs to improve just as it always has been.
I agree and I only know the current version. I think it is awesome, but the rulebook needs to be simplified. I just made a suggestion for that.

I agree and I only know the current version. I think it is awesome, but the rulebook needs to be simplified. I just made a suggestion for that.

The media and AFL are in this crazy panic mode based on an unrealistic vision of the game and a romanticised past.

They should be focusing on creating a fair sensible fixture and standardising umpiring interpretation across a season before tinkering with more rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media and AFL are in this crazy panic mode based on an unrealistic vision of the game and a romanticised past.

They should be focusing on creating a fair sensible fixture and standardising umpiring interpretation across a season before tinkering with more rules.
The game needs fewer rules. :)

The fixture is not that bad. It can be better, but there are more BS in AFL than its fixture: MRO, for instance; draft rules; tampering; coffee with certain coaches; zones and academies; etc.

The game needs fewer rules. :)

The fixture is not that bad. It can be better, but there are more BS in AFL than its fixture: MRO, for instance; draft rules; tampering; coffee with certain coaches; zones and academies; etc.

Some of the favouritism in the fixture is appalling. And scheduling like us playing the Bulldogs twice in 6 weeks, the second time early winter twilight game in Ballarat.

Gerard Whately called out scheduling both Showdown games this year in Saturday twilight as disrespectful to one of the great rivalries.

http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-02/whateley-its-disrespectful

I agree too that so many other events and decisions are amateur hour and incompetent. What other CE of a multi-billion $ industry could get away with so many faux pas?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...onsider-rule-changes-for-2019-season/10243218

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/7bfd156cb03a50a15f212c22bbcee808

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking confirmed on Thursday that the following rule changes and tweaks would go before the AFL Commission in the coming months:
— A 6-6-6 set-up at all centres bounces
— An 18m goalsquare (double the size of the current 9m square)
— Runners to only be allowed on the field after goals
— Tighter rule interpretations across eight categories, including incorrect disposal

Starting positions, as well as doubling the length of the goalsquare, have been trialled in VFL matches this season. In those matches, scoring was up 15 per cent and tackling was down 14 per cent compared to those teams’ usual respective outputs.

However these stats were taken from only 4 games and were from games where the increases would be expected as neither team was defensively minded.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...onsider-rule-changes-for-2019-season/10243218

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/7bfd156cb03a50a15f212c22bbcee808

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking confirmed on Thursday that the following rule changes and tweaks would go before the AFL Commission in the coming months:
— Tighter rule interpretations across eight categories, including incorrect disposal

Starting positions, as well as doubling the length of the goalsquare, have been trialled in VFL matches this season. In those matches, scoring was up 15 per cent and tackling was down 14 per cent compared to those teams’ usual respective outputs.

However these stats were taken from only 4 games and were from games where the increases would be expected as neither team was defensively minded.

I saw something earlier in the week, maybe Gerard Whateley, who said that the Commission is likely to reject the increased goalsquare.

I saw something earlier in the week, maybe Gerard Whateley, who said that the Commission is likely to reject the increased goalsquare.
It would be typical of the AFL to promote something universally unliked as a guise, only to reject that and smuggle something even more objectionable through.

Matthew Richardson at the Collingwood/Richmond preliminary was saying it would take away the spectacle of a big man(in this case Mason Cox) contesting the defensive and offensive kick-outs as the longer square would mean the ball would be well out of goalscoring range. And it would minimise the need for short kick-outs and quite possibly lead to more midfield scrambles.

I hate autocorrect. It continually puts a red line under words that I use when they are not incorrect, I simply refuse to spell them as the Americans do.

That guy sounds like a monumental bell end. Which when you think of it makes perfect sense for the person heading up the worst television station in all of history.

He also appears to have the opinion that a little bit of favoritism could go a long way.

"I believe if we get a string of close games, you'll see the numbers come up. If we can get Collingwood firing, that helps.''
He said a successful Swans team also helped ratings.

Hahahaha, runners!

Great last 5 or 6 weeks of the season. Some dominate scintillating high scoring finals that had at least one side playing great footy and the season finishes off with as good a V/AFL grand final as I have ever seen and the ******* pants wetters at the AFL executive want to change the game.

I hope the AFL Commissioners wake up and realise they are custodians of the game, not their just to make money and tell the pant wetters to piss off.

Great last 5 or 6 weeks of the season. Some dominate scintillating high scoring finals that had at least one side playing great footy and the season finishes off with as good a V/AFL grand final as I have ever seen and the ******* pants wetters at the AFL executive want to change the game.

I hope the AFL Commissioners wake up and realise they are custodians of the game, not their just to make money and tell the pant wetters to piss off.
The game yesterday was also one of the best umpiring performances I can remember. Compared it to our preseason game against West Coast in Leederville where every 3rd marking contest was a free kick and that alone is almost like watching another sport.

The game yesterday was also one of the best umpiring performances I can remember. Compared it to our preseason game against West Coast in Leederville where every 3rd marking contest was a free kick and that alone is almost like watching another sport.
IIRC that first quarter they paid 21 or 24 free kicks.

They used to pay 100 free kicks in the 1970's and 1980's when there were less rules and less interpretations, less umpires and you could bump a bloke in the head if you were going for the ball and not give away a free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back