Ryan Gardner is a good footballer - post your apologies here

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches votes again. Brilliant and well deserved. Had a shaky first quarter but grew in confidence as the game wore on.
Happy with both of his last two weeks.
If he can keep up this level I will happily eat humble pie.
He did play well against Melbourne, he was also pretty good against the Saints.
he is still a long way from being an average player though.

He did play well against Melbourne, he was also pretty good against the Saints.
he is still a long way from being an average player though.

I would like, and do hope, that he can improve his output and decision making on the ground especially when playing on KPFs. I don’t see it just yet

Ryan Gardner with another 3 coaches votes happy for the lad

He was okay, but I wouldn't have had him in the best 5 players on the ground.
I didn’t see the match but I noticed CD had him as the 5th or 6th best WB player. That’s pretty impressive because defenders seldom rank highly (IINM).

I didn’t see the match but I noticed CD had him as the 5th or 6th best WB player. That’s pretty impressive because defenders seldom rank highly (IINM).
I acknowledge this impartial evidence.

I’m completely fine with Gardner as a long term key defensive option within the side as long as we surround him with the right sort of players.

We ideally need a number 1 defender (with Gardner number 2) and a genuine interceptor. Basically May & Lever (in dreamland).

If you replaced Petty with Gardner I doubt you’d find any drop off.

He’s not just going the spoil every time now and is actually setting himself for marks, which is a big improvement. 1.5 contested marks per game the last 6 weeks.

Other than his still shaky disposal, he’d be pretty solid as the third KPD next to two more accomplished defenders, like Petty at Melbourne.

I’m completely fine with Gardner as a long term key defensive option within the side as long as we surround him with the right sort of players.

We ideally need a number 1 defender (with Gardner number 2) and a genuine interceptor. Basically May & Lever (in dreamland).

If you replaced Petty with Gardner I doubt you’d find any drop off.

Just posted basically the exact same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean when the game was up in the air Jeremy Cameron did precisely * all so Bevo reckons that Gardner negated the in-form key forward.

Hawkins & Cameron combined for 4 goals all game when most expected them to rack that up by quarter time.

The Gardner bashing is boring me now, he’s been great over the last few weeks and people refuse to give him any credit.

Hawkins & Cameron combined for 4 goals all game when most expected them to rack that up by quarter time.

The Gardner bashing is boring me now, he’s been great over the last few weeks and people refuse to give him any credit.
I am one that doesn't think Gardner is a good AFL level footballer long term. However, I will say his last three weeks have been fantastic and at a level where he could be considered a solid best 22 player rather than just a back up.

One thing I am enjoying however is all the Cordy bashers completely ignoring his solid game against Hawkins.

I am one that doesn't think Gardner is a good AFL level footballer long term. However, I will say his last three weeks have been fantastic and at a level where he could be considered a solid best 22 player rather than just a back up.

One thing I am enjoying however is all the Cordy bashers completely ignoring his solid game against Hawkins.
Not so much in your post as you qualified it with 'good' but isn't 'not AFL level' a misnomer? If players are playing AFL I would have thought they are 'AFL level', whether they are good bad or whatever. If every team got rid of players that 'aren't AFL level' how many would be left?

Not so much in your post as you qualified it with 'good' but isn't 'not AFL level' a misnomer? If players are playing AFL I would have thought they are 'AFL level', whether they are good bad or whatever. If every team got rid of players that 'aren't AFL level' how many would be left?
It's a bit of a philosophical question Fossie.
But I have seen several players that are obviously not at the level to consistently contribute positively at AFL level despite being decent football players in their own right.
Gowers, Porter, Scott, Hannan and McComb are recent examples that come to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back