EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star
Sep 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal and Shagons!
By Luke Holmesby 8:27 AM Tue 19 May, 2009
ST KILDA'S Jarryn Geary might have only just received his NAB AFL Rising Star nomination but he has already seen first-hand what it takes to win the award.

Geary is a product of TAC Cup side Bendigo Pioneers and came through the system with Geelong star Joel Selwood, who won the award in 2007.

Geary and Selwood played much of their junior careers together and also attended the same school, Catholic College in Bendigo.

"He was always the talk of the town. I watched him work really hard and I remember in under 18s he was in the gym every day trying to build up to what he is now," Geary said.

"I've learnt a fair bit off him. He'd always drag me out to have a kick with him in the park. He's been good.

"I've been to both of his grand finals and watched him play. He is someone I've got a lot of respect for. I love seeing him do well and he's one of the players of the league at the moment."

While Selwood was always headed for the AFL, Geary's future was not so certain. Despite winning Bendigo's best and fairest in 2006, he was passed over in the national draft and eventually taken by the Saints with pick 58 in the rookie draft.

At the end of 2007 he was elevated to the senior list and played 10 games last year. He has played in all eight of St Kilda's wins this year, earning the Rising Star nomination for his 19-possession game against Essendon on Sunday.

He said he and his fellow rookie-list graduates at St Kilda had to work hard to get noticed in the first place.

"I came in the door with Rob Eddy and Clinton Jones. Jayden Attard was also a rookie that year and he played 22 games before he did his knee," Geary said.

"It was good to come through with those boys. We were competing with each other to try and get on the list. It probably helped us out with where we are now. We all worked very hard and coming through with those guys really helped me along the way."

Geary's work on the track caught the eye of the Saints' coaching staff and he consistently finished in the top five at time trials over summer.

But he said he didn't expect to be in the team at the start of the year.

"I thought during the pre-season that I wasn't going to play round one. A few things went my way with a few other defenders going down with injury. I was just hoping to get into the team in the first half of the year at some stage so I'm happy to be there."

The 20-year-old is the youngest player in the number one side in the AFL but he says his chances of taking out the NAB Rising Star at season's end are slim to nil.

"There's a fair few blokes ahead of me. Daniel Rich from the Brisbane Lions and Stephen Hill from Fremantle are looking pretty good at the moment so I think those boys will be right up there."

Taken off afl.com.au; good on Jarryn. He's deserved one for a long time now. Do you guys reckon that he might be in with a shot?

Must have been a quiet week on the rookie front, as Gears has played better. But occasionally they reward someone for a number of solid performances, and he has certainly stepped up his game over summer.

Interesting looking back at the '06 rookie draft. The Saints did awesome with Gears, CJ and Rob Eddy (also Attard who was going well until he butchered his knee). With the trade for Gardi also in '06, it certainly helped cover for Armo, Howard, Woody and Fergie who were our picks in the main draft and aren't in our best 22.

Mind you, the picks after Armo have not exactly been stars. Just shows that we should have used the rookie draft better in previous years to get a few more of these late bloomers.

Congratulations to Jarryn Geary !

I actually thought that Essendon's Tayte Pears had a better game on Sunday, but I guess that Geary deserves the nomination for his overall season so far.

I like his comments, not being over confident and realising that he needs to earn his spot every week by working harder than others. I don't think it is coincidence (albeit maybe a bit of luck with so many 'winners') that we suddenly have quite a few hungry rookies cementing their spots in the first 22.

I can't see him winning the rising star though, guys like Rich, Ziebell and, to a lesser extent, Hill should be too good (and play a more spectacular game).

But I think this is St Kilda's first nomination since Gilbert in late 2007, so good on him.

Indeed well done to the man as I see this as a consistent nomination as opposed to 1 standout game, and while I think his chances of winning are rather slim there is still a chance there if he keeps improving and playing great footy.

Haha great day just got even better. :D
Long time over due, pity he is such a low profile draftee, would've got it 3 weeks ago if he went in the 1st round. :cool:
4 weeks straight of 20+ disposal games, as well as 19 this week.
Anywho, is this our first one since, what, Raph Clarke?

Suprised he got it, but still a great achievement.

First one since Sam Gilbert in 07 in the draw with the Dogs I think?

Back