Saints rebuild vs Carlton rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlton have the 4th oldest list in the Comp at the end of 2016. They are still in for a good amount of hurt and are further away from being competitive than some of their supporters think.
Not sure where you've pulled this from. We started the year with the 10th oldest list. Our round 23 side was actually almost a year younger on average than your round 23 side.

In terms of the rebuild, yes we have a long way to go but we are doing it properly this time. The club acknowledges we could be 4-5 years away from top 4, and are giving SOS and Bolts plenty of time for the slow burn.

To suggest we are not 'competitve' is also ridiculous. The win against Geelong, along with close losses to WC, Sydney and Hawthorn would suggest otherwise.

Not sure where you've pulled this from. We started the year with the 10th oldest list. Our round 23 side was actually almost a year younger on average than your round 23 side.

In terms of the rebuild, yes we have a long way to go but we are doing it properly this time. The club acknowledges we could be 4-5 years away from top 4, and are giving SOS and Bolts plenty of time for the slow burn.

To suggest we are not 'competitve' is also ridiculous. The win against Geelong, along with close losses to WC, Sydney and Hawthorn would suggest otherwise.

Article from the roar this year:

"Despite being in the early stages of a rebuild, Carlton have 17 players on their list in the prime age of 25-30 – tied with West Coast and Port Adelaide for the most in the league.

If you expand that to all players older than 25, the Blues’ veterans number 18, equal fourth with Hawthorn and Port Adelaide, and behind only West Coast (19), North Melbourne (20) and Fremantle (21) – with the exception of the Blues, all of those teams have premiership aspirations."

As I said the Blues has plenty of hurt in front of them before being a competitive ie top 8 team again.

The problem is I just don't know how you guys shoot up the ladder, your youngsters will improve a little next year sure, but a lot of your early season form was on the back of your stars playing well, who obviously aren't improving as they're already very good players, and your middle tier players playing out of their skins, if one of those two things don't happen from 2017 to about 2019, you'll go backwards, by the time your kids have caught up your stars (obviously apart from Cripp, Docherty and by that time Weitering) will be very close to done, Simpson probably isn't far away already being 32. Needless to say to get a solid rebuild and not just rely on top end talent you'll need a fair few decent picks in the next 2-3 drafts, and unless you bite the bullet and trade out one of your stars, I just can't see how this happens, no one outside of Cripps, Docherty, Murphy, Gibbs and maybe Kreuzer would have any trade value at all, so really unless you do a full rebuild and let stars go ala us and the dogs, I just can't see you guys stockpiling enough talent to shoot up in the next 5-6 years, puts a lot of pressure on curnow mckay cunningham (obviously Weitering will be so I haven't included him in that) picks 5 and 23 this year to become stars, because those 2 picks each year won't be enough unless you strike gold every time, can't see you dropping to bottom 2-3 territory with the core group you have so I estimate the picks to generally be in that area

880500-blues-membership.jpg

Judd , Cooked.
Murphy, 29 , Nearly Cooked.
Gibbs, 27 probably was ready to take out of the oven 2 years ago.
Kreuzer: Half Baked.

St.Kilda in front at this stage. No question.
Carlton does have a long way to go but the one thing that does please me is for the young leaders coming through.

Players Docherty, Cripps, Weitering are all 'captain' material and are as good a quality trio of players as there may be.
Very pleased with Charlie Curnow, Silvagni, Plowman, McKay, Byrne and Cuningham. All look like AFL quality players and did, as far back as this years pre-season.

That's 9 players 22 or younger that I have a lot of confidence in. Nowhere near enough but not a terrible platform either.
Could put some others here but haven't got the same level of confidence about them.

Everyone gets excited about their youth but I don't care of all players are 45, if Premierships are rolling in......and that's what matters. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is I just don't know how you guys shoot up the ladder, your youngsters will improve a little next year sure, but a lot of your early season form was on the back of your stars playing well, who obviously aren't improving as they're already very good players, and your middle tier players playing out of their skins, if one of those two things don't happen from 2017 to about 2019, you'll go backwards, by the time your kids have caught up your stars (obviously apart from Cripp, Docherty and by that time Weitering) will be very close to done, Simpson probably isn't far away already being 32. Needless to say to get a solid rebuild and not just rely on top end talent you'll need a fair few decent picks in the next 2-3 drafts, and unless you bite the bullet and trade out one of your stars, I just can't see how this happens, no one outside of Cripps, Docherty, Murphy, Gibbs and maybe Kreuzer would have any trade value at all, so really unless you do a full rebuild and let stars go ala us and the dogs, I just can't see you guys stockpiling enough talent to shoot up in the next 5-6 years, puts a lot of pressure on curnow mckay cunningham (obviously Weitering will be so I haven't included him in that) picks 5 and 23 this year to become stars, because those 2 picks each year won't be enough unless you strike gold every time, can't see you dropping to bottom 2-3 territory with the core group you have so I estimate the picks to generally be in that area
Yeah fair assessment.

SOS definitely has a mandate to get early picks and/or trade them for talented players in their early 20s. Tuohy and Everitt (not for much) may get traded this off-season for picks. Perhaps Kreuzer and Gibbs in the coming years. SOS could also acquire earlier picks this year by trading future picks (possibly acquired in trades) with the expansion clubs. They'll have a glut of 2016 1st and 2nd rounders of which all can't be used and they'll value future picks more, benefiting us such as Melbourne last year.

It's also important to consider that early picks are those used to get the superstars of your next premiership side but getting value out of later picks, rookies, and not so obvious trades and free agents is just as, if not, more important. Our 2011 side had quite a few top-line guns but not much depth. The current Richmond team very similar. Both of these sides didn't make it far when it counted.

Look at the value Hawthorn have got from the likes of Breust, Poppy, Hale, Suckling, among others.You guys have done really well with Membrey and Bruce. I think the 2010 Collingwood premiership side had 8 rookies or something.

No doubt you guys are at least 2 years ahead, but I'm happy to give us plenty of time with Bolton and SOS at the helm and I'm confident we can do it properly.

Carlton have the 4th oldest list in the Comp at the end of 2016. They are still in for a good amount of hurt and are further away from being competitive than some of their supporters think.
We are 10th according to champion data
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...-each-clubs-list-based-on-age-and-experience/

When you look at the older players on the list and how important they are to the team its very minimal. We couldn't drop 20 players off the list at once, thats just madness. It will be a 2 year process of replacing them all.

Cam Wood(29) - didnt play a game
Andrew Walker(30) - struggled to hold his spot
Michael Jamo(30) - Hardly played
Dennis Armfield(29) - 15 games. Not important and easily replaced
Dale Thomas(29) - Cooked, doesnt do anything, shouldnt be playing
Same Rowe(28) - Last legs - Hanging in there while the others develop
Simon White(28) - Big body? - Easily replaced
Andrejs Everritt(27) - Potato - SOSOS taken over

Its not like these guys are the reason we were winning games this year. It was the younger players with Simmo & Gibbs

Last edited:
They've truly made a meal of their rebuild, I don't expect them to challenge for 50+ years and casboult what a ******* hack he is they have a team full of VFL players

they just re-signed him for 1 more year.

We are 10th according to champion data
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...-each-clubs-list-based-on-age-and-experience/

When you look at the older players on the list and how important they are to the team its very minimal. We couldn't drop 20 players off the list at once, thats just madness. It will be a 2 year process of replacing them all.

Cam Wood(29) - didnt play a game
Andrew Walker(30) - struggled to hold his spot
Michael Jamo(30) - Hardly played
Dennis Armfield(29) - 15 games. Not important and easily replaced
Dale Thomas(29) - Cooked, doesnt do anything, shouldnt be playing
Same Rowe(28) - Last legs - Hanging in there while the others develop
Simon White(28) - Big body? - Easily replaced
Andrejs Everritt(27) - Potato - SOSOS taken over

Its not like these guys are the reason we were winning games this year. It was the younger players with Simmo & Gibbs

Blinkers there.
Younger player like Gibbs?

Daisy is 29y2m
Murph is 29y1m

If you rebuilt really, really well you might make Top 4 in 4-5 years. So these two will not be part of such a push. Moreso as to date your rebuild is underwhelming.

Gibbs is 27y5m would be on last legs by then too.
Kreuzer is 27y3m and with his injury history he will not have a lengthy career. He is not part of your future.

No the Blues in terms of a rebuild are way way off. You still lack enough really young players (ie Gibbs is not young!!!!!) and will go backwards before you go forwards yet. In addition a lot of the younger players that you have brought in recent seasons are ordinary. The class of Cripps blinds many to this. To rebuild well you need a core of young players that will rise together as they mature. The Blues do not yet have such a group of good young plaers.

the apeness selection is a classic case of a club not addressing their needs for too long and then shitting themselves and selecting a player far too ahead of where they should be taken in a draft

passing on mcgovern really really hurt them

I thought there was a bit of that happening when Lyon was at the Saints too.
Some clubs seem to think... "we need a tall forward, we will simply take the best tall forward we can get from the draft "
However some draft's have bugger all tall forwards, others have bugger all mids etc etc.

Its OK to draft according to need, but assessing best available should also be part of the value.
If the difference between best available and the "need" is too great, forget about the need.

Casboult and Liam Jones may be the worst forward pairing in history

Which is why i get really frustrated at people wanting to trade Bruce for Jack Riewoldt. It is simply not that easy to find good tall forwards. Carlton would not be using Casboult and Jones if they had options.

Which is why i get really frustrated at people wanting to trade Bruce for Jack Riewoldt. It is simply not that easy to find good tall forwards. Carlton would not be using Casboult and Jones if they had options.
Who would want to do that? Bruce is a gun, we'll take him off you.

Blinkers there.
Younger player like Gibbs?

Daisy is 29y2m
Murph is 29y1m

If you rebuilt really, really well you might make Top 4 in 4-5 years. So these two will not be part of such a push. Moreso as to date your rebuild is underwhelming.

Gibbs is 27y5m would be on last legs by then too.
Kreuzer is 27y3m and with his injury history he will not have a lengthy career. He is not part of your future.

No the Blues in terms of a rebuild are way way off. You still lack enough really young players (ie Gibbs is not young!!!!!) and will go backwards before you go forwards yet. In addition a lot of the younger players that you have brought in recent seasons are ordinary. The class of Cripps blinds many to this. To rebuild well you need a core of young players that will rise together as they mature. The Blues do not yet have such a group of good young plaers.
Read the post again. I didnt say he was young. I said it was the young players with him & simmo. You dont trade all your experience. Wouldve been like the saints getting rid of Rooey, Fisher and Joey aswell, you would have been an absolute rabble. You need some experience to bring the youth through the rebuild. I stated Daisy was cooked and easily replaced aswell, again did you genuinely not read it? We looked at trading Kruezer last year? Core of McKay, C.Curnow, Docherty, Cripps, Weitering, Plowman, SOJ, Byrne isn't a bad start. I also didnt state we would move forward next year. All your points are invalid. I think we will be around the same mark again. We are 1 year into a 3 year rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back