Opinion Saints' rivalries and views of other supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to knock off the demons in a GF just so we break our flag drought first and keep theirs alive. I hated collingwood from 08-10 and our rivalry during that period was as intense as it got, but traditional rivalry's don't really exist anymore, except amongst the fans. I don't think any Collingwood player hates a Carlton player just for playing for them the same way local footy clubs hate eachother.

So far it's Carlton and Essendon who seem to be most loathed. I read that Carlton and Melbourne have traditionally been regarded as dominated by middle class supporters, whereas Bulldogs and Collingwood were archetypal working class clubs. Does this still hold?
Id say dogs and us ate the working mans clubs.
Carlton the upper middle class (and italian crooks)
Melbourne the private schooled, suit wearing, caviar eating types.

Every team has its mix of classes these days.
Collingwood, richmond, essendon, hawks are real bandwagoner clubs that all the casual fans go for (when they're winning).

Only half a dozen ppl support north.

To answer the first question.
I know a lot of saints fans seem to hate carlton.
That harks back to the old buisiness class/ working class days i think.

Personally i have a soft spot for the blues, the rest if my family support them.

My most hated club is essendon (see kegs post).
Most annoying fans on game day would be North. Pack of whingers. All 6 of them.

The Saints
latest

Every other Team
finger.gif

I'd love to knock off the demons in a GF just so we break our flag drought first and keep theirs alive. I hated collingwood from 08-10 and our rivalry during that period was as intense as it got, but traditional rivalry's don't really exist anymore, except amongst the fans. I don't think any Collingwood player hates a Carlton player just for playing for them the same way local footy clubs hate eachother.
i really couldnt care less who we beat in a g/f!!! provided we actually do beat them !!

It is more a stereo type than anything. The myth that Melbourne are a bunch of snow bunnies stems from the MCG members not buying memberships.....but in reality Melbourne fans are just tight arses. The reality is they have some of the most low rent supporters you will find anywhere. I know plenty of ridiculously rich people who follow the Bulldogs and Pies. St Kilda were always a lower middle class/ upper working class catholic team but in reality all supporter bases probably started out as tribal suburban entities with inter suburban rivalries. These days it's like any world sport where the supporters are all over the place and it's a mystery as to how they are chosen.

BTW: Saints have a big Jewish following, like Tottenham in the EPL.

I don’t think there’s a huge rivalry between the Saints and any team.
We don’t have a traditional rivalry round game; just get paired with whoever is left.
Unfortunately this is a function of our historical lack of success.
As for teams that dick me off: any team displaying arrogance.
Most recently that includes: Hawthorn, Hawthorn and Hawthorn.
And they’re still doing it.

1. Essendon make my skin crawl and their supporters are utter, utter flog campaigners.

2. Carlton as well can get ****ed forever.

Then it's clubs like North who always seem to field a team of 22 *******s (plus their coach is a complete campaigner) and WCE because of their blatant cheating in Perth.

I find Bulldogs supporters display high levels of floggishness.

Apparently the home crowd at a Port Adelaide game is a feral as it gets.

I quite like Brisbane Lions, easily my 2nd team.

I think we have a little rivalry with Geelong going back to 2009 but we haven’t been able to keep to their level since then .

I hate Essendon and Sydney . Essendon because of the drug scandal and also because I used to work in a factory of about 20 people with nearly 10 of them supporting Essendon and to make it worse it was in Moorabbin.

I hate Sydney because of the abuse I got when I dropped into their page to congratulate them after beating us . Never again .

I like the Cats for the opposite reason to Sydney . I called in and they have been nice to me ever since .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beating Essendon and Carlton is the best and their flog supporters will always play the '16 flags' card. I remember the last round of 2008 we pumped the Bombers by 100 points to make the top 4. In typical Essendon fashion, they stopped watching the game and got stuck into us about our last flag. At least Collingwood and Richmond supporters get stuck into their own team when they're 100 points down.

I don't mind Collingwood. My Great-Grandfather played in a flag for them before coaching the Saints so I'm always supporting the Pies on Anzac Day.

Beating Essendon and Carlton is the best and their flog supporters will always play the '16 flags' card. I remember the last round of 2008 we pumped the Bombers by 100 points to make the top 4. In typical Essendon fashion, they stopped watching the game and got stuck into us about our last flag. At least Collingwood and Richmond supporters get stuck into their own team when they're 100 points down.

I don't mind Collingwood. My Great-Grandfather played in a flag for them before coaching the Saints so I'm always supporting the Pies on Anzac Day.

He's an ITK, let's get him!!!

Wait...What?
Explain this piece of saints gossip to us
:)

Not really gossip haha

My Great-Grandfather, Jack Knight, Captain-Coached the Saints in 1941 after playing at Collingwood. We only won 3 games that year so it was a short coaching career haha
My Great Great Grandfather Jack Sparrow was Captain of a boat.:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back