Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Spin it all you want the facts are he's not in your starting 22 because hes not good enough...your a middle team at best even after a bucket load of high draft picks so he has a limited value

Is Andrew Moore currently in your best 22? Is John Butcher? How about Jasper? All are first round picks who need time to develop, and rookies aren't much different. How about Daniel Webb, I am sure you have high hopes for him. Getting a game at senior AFL level isn't easy for first round draft picks to do let alone rookie selections.

Sam is 23 and has plenty of development left in his body. He will never be especially quick, or have a super leap, but he has a good footy brain, knows where to run, how to tap and when to time your leap for a mark. He will build endurance and be able to get around the ground better over the years. Most rucks don't realize their full potential till their late 20's.

As for spin, I am not the one who altered words to support my argument. I have come across to your board and very plainly said that I think Sam isn't going to be excellent, but will be good for a long time. I have given what I believe to be a fair assessment of his capabilities and his value, and have not asked for an outrageous price (Some people think anyone is worth a first rounder, honestly :thumbsdown:).

I realize that I have minimal chance of convincing you otherwise and that you will simply retort that you don't rate him and claim that his difficulty in gaining a position in a team that is middle of the ladder (above yours I might add) makes him worthless. Carlton have several young rucks of quality, and are looking for a flexible combination to fill in gaps up forward. This is why Hampson gets a game ahead of Jacobs, not because he is the better ruckman, which he certainly isn't.

While the proposed deal above is certainly fair and relatively balanced, I doubt that Carlton would be interested in giving up its first rounder for Salopek (who I do rate highly, and wouold love at the club).

I dont reckon sides will be that afraid actually. Your first pick will be 18 at the absolute best, in a draft from which the GC have already taken a few 17 year olds. As such I think that any club with a first round draft pick as high as yours, which are a total lottery once outside that top 5-10, wont be too afraid to on trade it. Previously that first round draft pick of yours would've been number 9, then fair enough not trading it, but number 18 and we're starting to move into the second round draft pick bracket, and thats if you dont win this week and stretch that draft pick out to number 20+

While we'd look at Salopek, I doubt we'd give up our first pick for him, even if we did get a 2nd rounder in return. Essendon on the other hand would probably offer more, given how desperate they are for half-decent mids. So I personally doubt Salopek would feature in any trade involving Sam, unless we got him cheap.

One of your guys came onto the Carlton board and mentioned Salter. What's his situation?

My suggestion on the Carlton board was

I want a second "1st rd" pick, and Jacob's would be our best chance of getting this even if it means using him to simply upgrade our 2nd rd pick to a 1st rd pick.

Assuming we finish 8th, our 2nd rd pick would be at what #36 ??? I would be "happy" for

Jacobs + #36 to either clubs for their 1st rd pick (#16 for Ports 1st rd picks) and maybe a swapping of later picks if it's a little off-centre.

What do people think ???

What do people think ???

Meh ...... 1st rounders are hens teeth, Jacobs is not. Frankly, we would be better served taking our chances scouring the state leagues over paying over the odds for Jacobs.

Is Andrew Moore (19) currently in your best 22? Is John Butcher (19)? How about Jasper (19)? All are first round picks who need time to develop, and rookies aren't much different. How about Daniel Webb, I am sure you have high hopes for him. Getting a game at senior AFL level isn't easy for first round draft picks to do let alone rookie selections.

Sam is 23 and has plenty of development left in his body. He will never be especially quick, or have a super leap, but he has a good footy brain, knows where to run, how to tap and when to time your leap for a mark.

So in what way are these comparisons relevant?

So in what way are these comparisons relevant?

Well the point was that young players, in particular in a position that requires physical devlopment such as the ruck, are unlikley to be able to hold down a spot in a teams best 22. The comparisons are relevant in the context that from a physical development point of view the players mentioned are years off reaching full potential, the same is true of Jacobs.

I'll admit that it wasn't the best comparison.

However rucks develop slow, only real talent get significant game time early in sides with ruck depth

What do people think ???

We think Jacobs isn't worth a first rounder. Problem is that given our draft position, our first rounder would be overpaying and our second rounder would be underpaying.

We think Jacobs isn't worth a first rounder. Problem is that given our draft position, our first rounder would be overpaying and our second rounder would be underpaying.

Which is EXACTLY where my suggestion comes into play. Jacobs isn't a direct trade for your 1st rd pick, instead he is a "downgrade" of your 1st rd pick to our 2rd rd pick (eg from #16 to #36).

I am not stupid enough to suggest he is worth your 1st rd pick outright, or Salopek, but as you said he is worth more than your 2nd rd pick and this helps make up the gap IMO

Perhaps. But will be 26 next year and has struggled with injuries if I'm not mistaken. Then again, Ratts has signalled a goal to trade for a tall(ish) defender, and he has had stints up forward. Would probably depend on the medical I guess. If he'd want to go home to Perth, perhaps bring WC into the deal in some way. From what I hear we've been in the ear of a couple of their players.

Again, what's Salter's situation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps. But will be 26 next year and has struggled with injuries if I'm not mistaken. Then again, Ratts has signalled a goal to trade for a tall(ish) defender, and he has had stints up forward. Would probably depend on the medical I guess.

Again, what's Salter's situation?

Contracted for one more season and required as a 2nd or 3rd forward or defender - but I would imagine tradeable at the right and fair price - nothing reasonable that I would expect to see from a Carlton supporter based on what has been posted on Salopek's trade value.

Actually a bit embarrassed to be a Carlton fan after reading some of the suggestions. A pick in the 20s will be enough. Although I do want to hear more on salter.

We have no idea what is happening with Salter.

He averages close to 5 goals a game in the SANFL and definitely has the talent to play AFL, we have tried to turn him into a Hurn type defender because he has a similar long accurate kick on him, but I don't think that experiment will work and hopefully he gets a chance up forward. Was treated poorly by Williams and is only now getting a shot at AFL footy.

Either way he won't be traded because he would probably only be worth a 3rd round pick right now.

I don't think we have any "steak knives" that Carlton will be interested in. They want a real key back or forward option, not a slightly undersized 3rd tall type like Pettigrew. We only have Carlile, Chaplin and Treggers but all are too important for us to trade off.

I think they will be happy with a 2nd rounder TBH. There is no need for them to hang onto Jacobs for another year.

Well really in reality Salter isn't really required but us supporters are hoping that our coaching staff are all starting to see the value in him that we can see. He'd probably be a pretty even trade for Jacobs however I'd hope we wouldn't go that way. Pettigrew is the more likely option if we were to trade one of our utilities who can play forward and back.

Salter is a "short" tall key forward (same height/build as Fev) being used in defense at AFL level and up forward at SANFL level. Our coaching staff will tell you he's not a forward despite him kicking bags of 5 goals at the SANFL and was easily leading that league in goal kicking until injuries/AFL games.

From the limited games up forward at AFL level he has a strong mark and a very very accurate kick (even from outside the 50m arc). Speed also won't be a problem for him... I actually think he'd be great at the Fev role for you guys.

I don't think he's that good of a defender. His lack of experience playing there shows in our AFL matches but it's not like he gets bags of goals kicked on him or anything.

And on topic, yes I would trade Salter for Jacobs.

Cant see Nick leaving South Australia to be honest guys.

He will play for Port Adelaide, perhaps the Crows, but thats it.

Imo if he was to be delisted/traded and the Crows didnt want him he would continue his career for Woodville/West Torrents in the SANFL.

I am warming to the prospect of Salter for Jacobs. Would allow Waite to play as a back, swinging forward occassionally. It also keeps everyones picks were they are, which is not a half bad idea in itself
Before you get to warm that's not going to happen,I know Carlton keeping draft picks is something that might take time getting used to but you need to be more realistic in your assumptions or take your dribble back to your own board:thumbsu:
Oh and its spelt occasionally... Mr English Teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back