Roast You didn't trade Sam Hayes, maybe not so muppetty after all

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Hayes 49% is only behind Preuss, Darcy, Gawn and Ryder (and strangely Peter Wright) in percentage of Hitouts won in 2022.(equal with Witts and Cox)

Ladhams is 35%...Lycett 39%...Teakle 34% Luke Jackson 33%.

BRL.png
HAW.png
ADE.png
MEL.png
CAR.png
WCE.png
STK.png
WBD.png
NTH.png
GEE.png
ESS.png
RIC.png
SYD.png
GCS.png
FRE.png
GWS.png
MEL.png
GEE.png
COL.png
RIC.png
ESS.png
ADE.png
RCHOHO%123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627
298111.png

Jeremy Finlayson
1002248.png

Sam Hayes
280711.png

Charlie Dixon
290746.png

Scott Lycett
993979.png

Sam Powell-Pepper
1004998.png

Todd Marshall
1007591.png

Brynn Teakle
294318.png

Ollie Wines

Sam Powell-Pepper's face sums up exactly how he should react to being asked to ruck.

Do you think he will be at Port next year?
I think we won't purposely trade him, but if he cracks the shits and thinks he's as hard done by as this board says he is, he might leave.

The things that are holding Hayes back aren't his ruck craft. It's all the other things that a ruck is asked to do in the AFL. Those things don't need to be developed. You don't need to develop a want to put on pressure and tackle. You don't need to develop a want to spread the field and get into positions where your teammates can use you.

The good thing is that all that stuff can be easily remedied in the space of a preseason, and Hayes could be leading the ruck for Port going into the 2023 season. That's my point - he doesn't need developing. He doesn't need excuses. Once he decides to put in, he's good enough how he is right now.

How advanced is Port Adelaide's High Performance Team and what tests could the club realistically do regarding a players genetics and their aerobic capacity?

I don't come from a High Performance or Sports Science background so I'm curious regarding what tests could be conducted either directly after a match or during the season.

For instance and apologies if I don't get the correct terminology correct but, are there tests that could indicate the aerobic capacity or 'cieling' of a player?

Is it all possible to test lactic acid levels and or certain enzymes post game that would indicate a genetic ceiling regarding aerobic capacity?

Take a player like Sam Mitchell or Greg Williams for instance, train them all you want to increase their explosive speed, any improvement will only be minimal based on the genetic make up of their muscle twitch fibres.

Could it be possible for the club to conduct certain Sport Science tests based on Hayes 7 games of AFL that indicate genetically there isn't much room for improvement regarding aerobic capacity?

I think we won't purposely trade him, but if he cracks the shits and thinks he's as hard done by as this board says he is, he might leave.

The things that are holding Hayes back aren't his ruck craft. It's all the other things that a ruck is asked to do in the AFL. Those things don't need to be developed. You don't need to develop a want to put on pressure and tackle. You don't need to develop a want to spread the field and get into positions where your teammates can use you.

The good thing is that all that stuff can be easily remedied in the space of a preseason, and Hayes could be leading the ruck for Port going into the 2023 season. That's my point - he doesn't need developing. He doesn't need excuses. Once he decides to put in, he's good enough how he is right now.
You know what he also needs? Game time. How disillusioned must he have been after being dropped, only to watch Sam Powell-Pepper doing the ruck taps.

I agree with some of this, but the reality is that when your club seems to have that little faith in you that they are talking you down in public and picking up random blokes from the WAFL and forward line to play over you in your own position, I wouldn't blame him one bit for cracking the shits and going, especially if he can get a better offer.

What frustrates me most about dropping Hayes... Is if we had Pistol, or Paddy, or Lycett available... and we decided Hayes needed more development time or wasn't quite up to it and played one of them instead, I could somewhat accept it as part of a sensible long-term development plan... But we robbed Peter to pay Paul - we sacrificed our forward line and our midfield in order to cover a hole that didn't exist in the first place.

Out of curiosity I just looked and cannot find a single ruck who has recorded 47 hitouts in their first 7 games.

If anyone else knows when the last time that happened feel free to share if I’ve missed someone?

I went through every elite ruck of the past 20 years I could recall and checked their first season so I’m pretty sure.

If that isn’t elite then nothing is.

Imagine a kf doing the same with goals and being dropped

Or a key defender with intercept marks

Or a mid with clearances or disposals.

It would never happen.

and it’s not like these other rucks never went up against young rucks either. It’s entirely common.

The disregard of the importance of ruck craft is just mind bogglingly stupid.

In a game of inches, why the * wouldn’t you take every advantage you can get.

Out of curiosity I just looked and cannot find a single ruck who has recorded 47 hitouts in their first 7 games.

If anyone else knows when the last time that happened feel free to share if I’ve missed someone?

I went through every elite ruck of the past 20 years I could recall and checked their first season so I’m pretty sure.

If that isn’t elite then nothing is.

Imagine a kf doing the same with goals and being dropped

Or a key defender with intercept marks

Or a mid with clearances or disposals.

It would never happen.

and it’s not like these other rucks never went up against young rucks either. It’s entirely common.

The disregard of the importance of ruck craft is just mind bogglingly stupid.

In a game of inches, why the * wouldn’t you take every advantage you can get.
I think you'll find Dougal Howard broke the record for spoils in a final in his first season, and we all know how that turned out...

Wait, I'm being told that they were shafted by the same coach.

Hmmmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"And Ralph confirmed that Port Adelaide ruckman Sam Hayes is another player Collingwood has “a little bit” of interest in."
Yeah he'll probably end up with you blokes. Has been treated awfully at Port.

Excellent tap ruck. Not as much impact around the ground yet but he has only played 7 games so its what you expect.

Excellent tap ruck. Not as much impact around the ground yet but he has only played 7 games so its what you expect.

Would love to see him end up somewhere else and then absolute slaughter our makeshift ruck division while the dickhead in the box throws back coke zeroes.

I have liked Sam since U18 but there are a lot of other trades rumoured for us so I assume any trade would have to wait and see what else happens.

We have a few South Austrlian guys so if one of them wanted to go home then that would be the easiest path to any trade.

I have liked Sam since U18 but there are a lot of other trades rumoured for us so I assume any trade would have to wait and see what else happens.

We have a few South Austrlian guys so if one of them wanted to go home then that would be the easiest path to any trade.
You will probably get him cheap because we are ******* idiots.

Its almost like Ken is trying to leave the list in the worst possible state, so that the next coach gets called worse than him.

Don’t let anyone say that Ken doesn’t have a plan 🙄

Would love to see him end up somewhere else and then absolute slaughter our makeshift ruck division while the dickhead in the box throws back coke zeroes.
It would only be us fans that suffer. As if Hinkley would care.

I don’t think those Sa kids you’re referring to would be worth bothering about. Poulter would be odds on delisted and I’m not even sure Adelaide will add him, mcreery .. well we’re getting the same returns from a mid season draftee pickup that we all desperately want delisted.

(That’s not arguing Hayes value, it’s just saying we have no use for those players).

I desperately hope we hold onto Hayes for the last year of his contract and deal with trying to recontract him after we’ve turfed Hinkley.

Worst case he asks to leave then it’s not like we’re getting a horribly worse trade deal.

Having said that if he asks to leave they’ll oblige him.

* Hinkley

Sure, that'd be enjoyable for 2023 (* not beyond that!), then we'd be finally rid of Hinkley and still get to cry for another 5-8 years seeing Hayes do well. Salt in the wounds for those with a brain, but the happy clappers, even post-Hinkley, would still be 'Why didn't he play like that at Port?'. * this club these days.

It would only be us fans that suffer. As if Hinkley would care.

I don’t think those Sa kids you’re referring to would be worth bothering about. Poulter would be odds on delisted and I’m not even sure Adelaide will add him, mcreery .. well we’re getting the same returns from a mid season draftee pickup that we all desperately want delisted.

(That’s not arguing Hayes value, it’s just saying we have no use for those players).

I desperately hope we hold onto Hayes for the last year of his contract and deal with trying to recontract him after we’ve turfed Hinkley.

Worst case he asks to leave then it’s not like we’re getting a horribly worse trade deal.

Having said that if he asks to leave they’ll oblige him.

* Hinkley

Just a query on a few other SA players at Collingwood, are these worth considering?

Arlo Draper (pick #45)
Harvey Harrison (pick #52)
Nathan Kreuger (would be his third club, is a fringe player - if Hayes, Frampton and McStay are coming in, likely to be expendable)

My preference is to keep Hayes, hopefully Josh Carr will push his case, he understands the importance of good big ruckmen.

Just a query on a few other SA players at Collingwood, are these worth considering?

Arlo Draper (pick #45)
Harvey Harrison (pick #52)
Nathan Kreuger (would be his third club, is a fringe player - if Hayes, Frampton and McStay are coming in, likely to be expendable)

My preference is to keep Hayes, hopefully Josh Carr will push his case, he understands the importance of good big ruckmen.
I have no idea who Harrison is,
Krueger no
Haven’t seen Draper since under 18’s but it’s pretty questionable if we would bother.

Yeah it would be my hope after coaching a midfield with Darcy as ruck that carr is keen on a tap ruck in his midfield, though whether he gets much say in that next year who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back