Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously Carlton fans you either want Salopek or you dont.

If you want him you will have to pay for him, if you dont then dont. We dont give a s**t how much you 'need' him. If you dont want him rest assured someone else will.

You will either make a decent offer or piss off, especially on our board.

As for Jacobs he is not worth a first round pick and clubs done trade first round picks for lesser players and draft picks.

Sorry Port fans...as a Carlton fan I don't want Salopek. Constant shoulder injuries over the past couple of years and not interested. We have a surplus of his kind, so Carlton would definitely not pay over the odds to get him

So your saying hes not going to get much better as he is and he's never going to make a side that finished middle of the table.....Thanks that's just what we need , where do i sign:rolleyes:

No I said he wasn't going to become an athletic superstar as expected of a Natanui or a Kreuzer. I gave a frank assessment of a player who the best tap ruckmen on our list, but is behind Warnock, Hampson and Kreuzer for around the ground work.

As a matter of fact he has made our side for the majority of the year before Kreuzer went down and performed well, it is only becaus ethe club is trying to get more games into Hampson and Warnock he plays VFL ATM.

I do not overate Salopek, In my opinion hes fairly average and never lived up to his potential. However Carlton will pay through the teeth to get him and he will be like Shaun Burgoyne, 5th string midfielder and will cause alot of damage to opposition teams. Sam Jacobs is a good prospect and I believe realisically the trade should be -

Jacobs + 1st Rounder + 4th Rounder for Salopek + 2nd Rounder + 3rd Rounder

Sorry Port fans...as a Carlton fan I don't want Salopek. Constant shoulder injuries over the past couple of years and not interested. We have a surplus of his kind, so Carlton would definitely not pay over the odds to get him

And that would be fair enough. I wouldn't expect Salopek to be high on Carlton's shopping list. Half expect that he will go to Essendon, especially if Choco takes over as coach there. We could be a little vulnerable to the Bombers if Choco gets that gig.

I have no problems with carlton fans saying they dont want Salopek. It is just when they say they dont want him so therefore we should give him up to them for a half a packet of chips. It just makes no sense, there are 10 clubs in Melbourne.

No I said he wasn't going to become an athletic superstar as expected of a Natanui or a Kreuzer. I gave a frank assessment of a player who the best tap ruckmen on our list, but is behind Warnock, Hampson and Kreuzer for around the ground work.

As a matter of fact he has made our side for the majority of the year before Kreuzer went down and performed well, it is only becaus ethe club is trying to get more games into Hampson and Warnock he plays VFL ATM.
Nice of you to spin it around from what YOU did say...(He has liitle scope for improvement),we don't need players that have little scope for improvement, you see its not like the good old days when you just could buy a premiership by paying peanuts for players from other states.
We have a draft in place now and the idea it to try and improve your list with players that are either ready made walk up starters or players that have scope for improvement
If he struggles to make your middle of the road team and has as you say little scope for improvement then hes not worth much now is he:thumbsdown:

Nice of you to spin it around from what YOU did say...(He has liitle scope for improvement),we don't need players that have little scope for improvement, you see its not like the good old days when you just could buy a premiership by paying peanuts for players from other states.
We have a draft in place now and the idea it to try and improve your list with players that are either ready made walk up starters or players that have scope for improvement
If he struggles to make your middle of the road team and has as you say little scope for improvement then hes not worth much now is he:thumbsdown:

Don't think that's really fair on him. Over the last few weeks, Warnock has shown why he was so highly rated. Hampson has crazy, crazy upside and the club can afford to take a punt on him given we have kreuze as well. We also spent more on him in terms of draft picks.

Sauce is already an AFL standard ruckman and will get better (although I would concede that his scope for improvement is probably a bit less than more athletic prospects). But he is a quality player and has a quality attitude. He will be a 10 year contributor for whatever club he goes to...not as an AA but as a dependable solid contributor with very good tap work. He is a decent grab and reads the game well. He's not quick or hugely mobile but he certainly does enough and only gets outshone by the most athletic opponents.

I'm not saying we should get your first rounder for him, but I think third rounder is too light...

So he wins hitouts but doesn't get many possessions around the ground? Lobbe was already doing that for Port before he got injured. I still don't see any improvement in him over Lobbe.

I don't understand why we would bother with Jacobs.

Our second round pick is 34 and I'm 100% sure the club would offer that to Carlton for him. Carlton may want a pick between 25-30 though as that is probably a better statement of his value, however it may depend on what other deals we do. I think Carlton would probably end up accepting 34 though because last thing you want to do is hold out and lose him next year for even less if not nothing.

People are saying he has a smaller scope for improvement but he's on one hell of an upward curve over the last two years. No one can really say if that will stop soon or not but he hasn't shown any signs of stagnating.

His upward scope has been driven by his game sense, endurance and tapwork getting to a point where he can overcome his relative lack of speed and agility . His tap work will get better, as will his endurance but this will clearly be on a slower trend now. He ain't going to get quicker or more agile.

But like I said above, I think he'll be a very solid AFL standard ruckman for a long time.

Are middle of the road teams supposed to play more rucks in their team that top teams are regardless of whether it's a strength or not?
Your missing the point, it has nothing to do with how many rucks you play in a team its how good you are as a player ....He struggles to make a side that won one more game than us this year.....why? because you have better options or to put in simple terms ....better players than him
Twist it all you want, bottom line is hes not worth much when you look at the facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your missing the point, it has nothing to do with how many rucks you play in a team its how good you are as a player ....He struggles to make a side that won one more game than us this year.....why? because you have better options or to put in simple terms ....better players than him
Twist it all you want, bottom line is hes not worth much when you look at the facts.
Yes, we do because our rucks are very good. You don't because he's very good and your rucks aren't.

I have no problems with carlton fans saying they dont want Salopek. It is just when they say they dont want him so therefore we should give him up to them for a half a packet of chips. It just makes no sense, there are 10 clubs in Melbourne.

Carlton fans who say we need Salopek don't watch enough Carlton games. He is not a tall defender and he is not a tall forward.

Goodluck if you can snare em ..Adelaide want him too ..so you got competition ..but wait there are also a couple of victorian clubs that have signalled their interested in him ..so although his intention is to go to S.A if we dont get the deal that we dont see appropriate we will entertain other clubs offers ....first in first dressed ..no!

OK re-read what I wrote below

Jacobs is a quality young ruckmen, with a limited scope of improvement (isn't going to improve athletically, will improve endurance and tapwork).

The words limited and little are not analogous. Limited implies that there is a certain point beyond which there will be no further improvement, little implies there is a point in the near future where there will be no further improvement. What you have done is changed a single word and the entire meaning of my statement. Either you did not read properly or you have a limited understanding of the English language.

Jacobs will be a quality pick-up who can play good football over a long period of time

Goodluck if you can snare em ..Adelaide want him too ..so you got competition ..but wait there are also a couple of victorian clubs that have signalled their interested in him ..so although his intention is to go to S.A if we dont get the deal that we dont see appropriate we will entertain other clubs offers ....first in first dressed ..no!

You do realise he has to agree... No!?

Wow thanks for that, maybe we should up the offer now before somone else gets in:rolleyes:

Do not want, we don't need Jacobs, hopefully Brogan will play next year, Trengove, Westhoff and Snowy can pinch hit in the ruck Lobbe should hopefully play more that 15 games next season and will be at the same stage of development as Jacobs, Bass is coming good and Redden is finally showing promise in the SANFL (both will prob play AFL at some stage next year).

We don't need him, Carlton will have to trade with Adelaide if they want to get rid of him which by the sound of all the carlton supporters on this thread is what they are trying to do.

So are we going to win the premiership next year with Jacobs, or without for that matter?

Otherwise, sit on our investment and wait for it to pay off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back