Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I was interested to think about the 80% of a premiership list comment and plot who I think that might be. Assuming it’s 5 years from now

Hardwick (32) Mitchell (26)
Scrimshaw (30) weddle (24)
CJ (29) Newk (28) Amon (33)
Moore (29) MacDonald (26)
Lewis (30) Ginnivan (26) Watson (24)
Day (27) Mackenzie (25)

That’s 14 of 23 or 60%. It’s critically missing a FB, CHB, Ruck, and second kpf. Obviously it’s debatable I have gone with who i am confident in plus Lewis given injury history. We have potentials like ramsden JOS Dear mcabe Ryan hustwaite and 5 years to trade in or draft players so it’s not all doom and gloom. But as we all know we desperately need some KP by all means possible.

Can only assume Ralph was correct that there was no way of down grading the charge.

So now a little guy can actually block a big guy. Chols mistake was to lead with ‘open’ hands or shoulder

Some of these decisions are encouraging the collisions they seem to be wanting to address

A challenge might have highlighted this, if not a reversal

A tall guy heading to man the goal line during a long goal attempt is most definitely IN Play.
We’d be criticising Chol had he not done that and the ball got touched on the line

Last edited:
What a joke the MRP is.
A fend behind play has force, but you can also punch someone and they say "Not enough impact"

I'd be instructing all the players to fall over if jumper punched now.

I was interested to think about the 80% of a premiership list comment and plot who I think that might be. Assuming it’s 5 years from now

Hardwick (32) Mitchell (26)
Scrimshaw (30) weddle (24)
CJ (29) Newk (28) Amon (33)
Moore (29) MacDonald (26)
Lewis (30) Ginnivan (26) Watson (24)
Day (27) Mackenzie (25)

That’s 14 of 23 or 60%. It’s critically missing a FB, CHB, Ruck, and second kpf. Obviously it’s debatable I have gone with who i am confident in plus Lewis given injury history. We have potentials like ramsden JOS Dear mcabe Ryan hustwaite and 5 years to trade in or draft players so it’s not all doom and gloom. But as we all know we desperately need some KP by all means possible.
I'm cautiously optimistic that Meek could be our long term ruck so that would be at least one spot filled.

Lewis I have a pretty big question mark over his durability which makes our KPF stocks pretty dire.

Not disputing what you're saying, but the group of Newcombe, Day, Weddle, Mackenzie and Watson in particular could be absolutely anything in 5 years time.

They're the 5 with limitless potential.

Just need Ward, McCabe and a couple of others to take the step alongside them.
It's speculation at this point, Hombre. I agree with those names, though.

Conceivably, we'll need more than a couple of others.

I don't think anyone can be unhappy with the progress of McKenzie, Meek and Weddle this season surely?

Add in career best seasons from Frost and Scrimshaw to boot and this season isn't all doom and gloom.

The positives shown in the form of these 5 players is getting overlooked in the doom and gloom, and they aren't getting the kudos they deserve.

Can only assume Ralph was correct that there was no way of down grading the charge.

So we can't argue that he pushed him in the chest it slid up to his neck and he threw his head back to extenuate the contact to get a free kick?

Just to be clear, Hogan hit someone in the head and got a fine.

So we can't argue that he pushed him in the chest it slid up to his neck and he threw his head back to extenuate the contact to get a free kick?

Just to be clear, Hogan hit someone in the head and got a fine.
I wouldn’t know.

Interesting to note that Chol’s got a bandaged arm at training today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a joke the MRP is.
A fend behind play has force, but you can also punch someone and they say "Not enough impact"

I'd be instructing all the players to fall over if jumper punched now.
Yeah it's just another example of how the AFL in general (and the tribunal in this case), has become a conflicted joke.
Push a bloke high and get a week. Tummy punch someone and it's not a problem. Yet another example of why I am losing interest in the AFL as a whole.
We should have tried the Charlie Cameron good bloke defense. Why the hell not, it's rafferty's rules these days seemingly.
Chol could probably do with a spell but not this way.

Yeah it's just another example of how the AFL in general (and the tribunal in this case), has become a conflicted joke.
Push a bloke high and get a week. Tummy punch someone and it's not a problem. Yet another example of why I am losing interest in the AFL as a whole.
We should have tried the Charlie Cameron good bloke defense. Why the hell not, it's rafferty's rules these days seemingly.
Chol could probably do with a spell but not this way.
Not Like This GIF by MOODMAN

I don't think anyone can be unhappy with the progress of McKenzie, Meek and Weddle this season surely?

Add in career best seasons from Frost and Scrimshaw to boot and this season isn't all doom and gloom.

The positives shown in the form of these 5 players is getting overlooked in the doom and gloom, and they aren't getting the kudos they deserve.

Plus:

Moore has been great the last few weeks and is proving to be our real on-field leader.

Ginnivan has been good so far, and will (surely?) be better once our front 6 include Lewis, Watson and Breust.

Mitchell has been understated but has been really solid as a small defender. I think he'll be a vital "set and forget" cog of our defence moving forward.

This is coming from someone close to Nash. The players are all on board and buying in, but the expectation from the media towards end of last season and pre season that Hawks are a chance to play finals this year has sort of put that pressure on the players and have been trying to deal with it. They believe that trying too hard has impacted their performance and confidence. I think this makes sense given there were no expectations or pressure for some time.

This is coming from someone close to Nash. The players are all on board and buying in, but the expectation from the media towards end of last season and pre season that Hawks are a chance to play finals this year has sort of put that pressure on the players and have been trying to deal with it. They believe that trying too hard has impacted their performance and confidence. I think this makes sense given there were no expectations or pressure for some time.
Yep, exactly right. We won 7 games in 2023 of which 3 were against the two worst teams we've seen in a long time. This rebuild is only a year and 7 games old. Don't count 2022 as we had over a thousand games experience leave at the end of the season. It's not an excuse but reality of where we're really at.

Also, if anybody gets the chance, just watch Lloyd on the sunday footy show, he brilliantly opened us up with our awful ball use. So many times when we had the clean break from half back and middle, our players just smacked the ball long and without direction to outnumbered frwds all the while there were so many options and players out on their own 20-30 metres from the kicker but were unused. Lowering the eyes is not our strong suit. Sicily, worpel and Newk were culpable time and again. I thought it was a good assessment of what we're doing wrong by llordo.

We have the second worse tackle differential in the league. Not sure trying too hard is the problem.

Edit: also worst pressure act differential and second worse spoil differential.

We have the second worse tackle differential in the league. Not sure trying too hard is the problem.

Edit: also worst pressure act differential and second worse spoil differential.

effort without confidence and/or knowing what to do can = running around like an ineffective headless chook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back