Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Based on the past few weeks our ruck order has now changed to:
1 - Tippett - great forward who can also spend time being a very effective ruckman.
2 - Naismith - excellent tap ruckman who will only get better with each game. Can go forward and take a mark but is also handy when helping out in defense.
3 - Nankervis - Is still learning the game but is willing to crash packs and is handy in contesting centre bounce and throw ins.
4 - Sinclair - Unfortunately has done very little in his time at the Swans so far. Is not a strong contested tap ruckman and was recruited as a second string ruckman who could play forward and kick goals. Has not happened due to his inability to hold on to marks. Gets his hands to the ball often (due to his height) but simply cannot complete the mark. Similar to Buddy, in that Buddy is a very poor overhead mark, but he has plenty of other tricks. Sinclair doesn't.
I simply can't see how Sinclair can get back into the senior side (once Tippett has returned) based on performances of all four players this year.

Sinclair has certainly dropped down in the pecking order but given the frailty of each of these guys, it's pretty essential to have a group who can come in and play seniors. Tippett's career has demonstrated he is a tremendous player who can't really avoid getting hurt, Naismith has only just got in seniors and got his body right, Nankervis seems to play each week but is not the tap ruckman the other two are, and Sinclair gets on the park but needs to be fit to be effective and has been very spotty this year.

Based on the past few weeks our ruck order has now changed to:
1 - Tippett - great forward who can also spend time being a very effective ruckman.
2 - Naismith - excellent tap ruckman who will only get better with each game. Can go forward and take a mark but is also handy when helping out in defense.
3 - Nankervis - Is still learning the game but is willing to crash packs and is handy in contesting centre bounce and throw ins.
4 - Sinclair - Unfortunately has done very little in his time at the Swans so far. Is not a strong contested tap ruckman and was recruited as a second string ruckman who could play forward and kick goals. Has not happened due to his inability to hold on to marks. Gets his hands to the ball often (due to his height) but simply cannot complete the mark. Similar to Buddy, in that Buddy is a very poor overhead mark, but he has plenty of other tricks. Sinclair doesn't.
I simply can't see how Sinclair can get back into the senior side (once Tippett has returned) based on performances of all four players this year.
Ouch, poor Sinkers. I can see where you're coming from. I reckon Sinkers will come good next year after getting his body right & working on the structures etc.

The positive (as you say) though is that we have 4 guys who all could play seniors. Don't forget we've also got Reid who has been used in a few "relief" ruck roles at times too so that's fantastic depth! At the start of the year it was a real concern & if you'd have told me Tip & Sinkers would both be out injured leading up to finals I'd have thought the year would've been over, instead I'm excited & confident both Naisy & Nank can hold their own for the most part.

The only problem with all this depth is that it makes me think Nank might be out the door soon...

Are we allowed to trade Sinclair if someone wants him? I dont know how the new trade and free agent s**t works
We could only trade him to another club if he was agreeable to it as he is contracted. Free agency only applies to players who have been at the same club for at least 8 years and is no longer under contract.

Ouch, poor Sinkers. I can see where you're coming from. I reckon Sinkers will come good next year after getting his body right & working on the structures etc.

The positive (as you say) though is that we have 4 guys who all could play seniors. Don't forget we've also got Reid who has been used in a few "relief" ruck roles at times too so that's fantastic depth! At the start of the year it was a real concern & if you'd have told me Tip & Sinkers would both be out injured leading up to finals I'd have thought the year would've been over, instead I'm excited & confident both Naisy & Nank can hold their own for the most part.

The only problem with all this depth is that it makes me think Nank might be out the door soon...
I totally agree with that part of your reply. At the start of the year, I felt the ruck was our biggest weakness and I was still equally concerned even after Sinclair's recruitment as I believe he is more a resting forward than a pure ruckman. The way Naismith has performed the past month has me extremely excited that we not only have a suitable second ruck to help Tippett but I feel he will grow into a premium ruck releasing Tippett to be even more damaging.

Very excited about our finals prospects with Naismith bearing the brunt of the ruckwork, Tippet clunking them mostly within 30m of goal and Buddy banging them home from the 50m line or more. Xav, Heeney and Paps/Benny? chipping in with a couple each. Resting midfielders should be worth a goal or two each.

Ruck rankings at the club now

1-Tippett
2-Naismith
3- Nankervis
4- Towers
5- Reid
6- Derrickx
7- Sinclair

Sinclair is still above Nankervis for me, but with Tippett back I think the argument is moot because Naismith will be the one who keeps his spot. I particularly like his awareness to skip around the ruck contest when he notices the opposition ruckman trying to jump early and block his own leap at the ball. Quite a wily customer is big Sam.

Sinclair is still above Nankervis for me, but with Tippett back I think the argument is moot because Naismith will be the one who keeps his spot. I particularly like his awareness to skip around the ruck contest when he notices the opposition ruckman trying to jump early and block his own leap at the ball. Quite a wily customer is big Sam.
Sinclair as 3rd...or 4th if Reid is to share ruck duties

Ruck rankings at the club now

1-Tippett
2-Naismith
3- Nankervis
4- Towers
5- Reid
6- Derrickx
7- Sinclair
As PURE ruckmen I would say:
1 Naismith
2 Tippett
3 Sinclair
4 Nankervis
5 Derickx
6 Galloway (project player in ressies)
The other guys are handy occasional third men.
Tippos big value is that he can do a lot more around the ground than the rest . He and Naismith will be our first choice pairing next hear. Derickx will be delisted. Galloway still needs another 2 years but is also freaking tall. Nanka might move on or stay but that might depend on what happens at other clubs.
PS I'm on the Big Sam Bandwagon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As PURE ruckmen I would say:
1 Naismith
2 Tippett
3 Sinclair
4 Nankervis
5 Derickx
6 Galloway (project player in ressies)
The other guys are handy occasional third men.
Tippos big value is that he can do a lot more around the ground than the rest . He and Naismith will be our first choice pairing next hear. Derickx will be delisted. Galloway still needs another 2 years but is also freaking tall. Nanka might move on or stay but that might depend on what happens at other clubs.

Pure ruckman? Tap work? Then drex is actually quite good

He is just a s**t truck everywhere else

I don't think Tippett should ruck, not in the centre anyway. Purely because of the injury of course, next year is a different story when his hamstring is 100%

Dont disagree at all especially with naismith firing

Another dominant performance against Port. It makes such a difference to how our mids perform.

Naismith played well but I actually walked away from the game more impressed with Nankervis on the day. Good HO's, won ball around the ground and fired out ball to the midfielders and laid some great tackles.

He'll be out as soon as Tippett returns but he's making a good account of himself as a senior ruckman. Won't surprise me if and when a club offers him a decent salary increase for next year.

Naismith played well but I actually walked away from the game more impressed with Nankervis on the day. Good HO's, won ball around the ground and fired out ball to the midfielders and laid some great tackles.

He'll be out as soon as Tippett returns but he's making a good account of himself as a senior ruckman. Won't surprise me if and when a club offers him a decent salary increase for next year.

He deserves far more credit than he gets on here...very impressive below his knees and in contested situations.

Nankervis is just a pure competitive beast, in some respects he reminds me of Mumford whose competitiveness and tackling when the ball hit the ground basically gave us an extra inside midfielder at the stoppages. I have no doubt other clubs will come calling for him at the end of the year.

Meanwhile let's admire the gazelle in full flight

13872908_10153496103931324_669010300342093606_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back