Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi is dead

Remove this Banner Ad

This "fist fight" cover story is the perfect illustration of the gaslighting that people are willing to accept if it suits their ends.

The Saudis have been lying, lying and lying about this and they finally come out and say "yeah he's dead but we don't have the body because we dismembered it - and it was his fault because he started a fist fight". No one believes that, do they? They jumped Khashoggi, tortured him and killed him. That is infinitely more likely than whatever bullshit the Saudis are selling today. But Trump comes out and says "yeah that's credible". It's not. No one believes it. But enough people are motivated enough to just nod along and let the Saudis off the hook so the explanation doesn't need to be credible. It just needs to fill the slot where an explanation is meant to fit.

A fist fight? Sure whatever. That'll do. Because when people are already motivated in a certain direction, the explanation doesn't need to be credible. That is the lesson of the Trump era.

Last edited:
Trump pivoting from the Saudi's did 9/11 to the Saudi's give us money and all the MAGA squad being dragged by the nose is hilarious to watch.
Indeed.

Trump was right in the first instance but has changed his mind now that he sees the colour of the money. And his constituency are just like "yeah sure whatever Trump says today must be right".

Indeed.

Trump was right in the first instance but has changed his mind now that he sees the colour of the money. And his constituency are just like "yeah sure whatever Trump says today must be right".
He's right in both instances and good on him for being honest about it. Pretty degrading to see an American President so easily bought though. Doesn't seem to bother the chuds, they're lapping it up.

Hard to take the media outrage about this seriously given the relative silence over all the other horrific things Saudi Arabia has done.

your point is a fair one, BUT this kind of s**t (killing your own in an embassy on foreign land) was s**t that wasnt even cool during the Cold War

your point is a fair one, BUT this kind of s**t (killing your own in an embassy on foreign land) was s**t that wasnt even cool during the Cold War
It wasn’t in an embassy, but Georgi Markov was assassinated by umbrella.

I think a lot of things combine to make it shocking (doing it in an embassy, dismembering him while he was alive, the absolute brazenness of it). Still, it’s the Saudis. The media have been pretty silent on them for 20 years in spite of every thing.

Also weird is how is is obvious that the Turks have bugged the embassy and they don’t care to let the world know they’ve done that (and that seems to have gone somewhat unmentioned)

It wasn’t in an embassy, but Georgi Markov was assassinated by umbrella.

I think a lot of things combine to make it shocking (doing it in an embassy, dismembering him while he was alive, the absolute brazenness of it). Still, it’s the Saudis. The media have been pretty silent on them for 20 years in spite of every thing.

Also weird is how is is obvious that the Turks have bugged the embassy and they don’t care to let the world know they’ve done that (and that seems to have gone somewhat unmentioned)

consulate, but arent they given the same legal rights as an embassy (saudi soil in turkey)?

I havent read the stuff today, but by the bug are you referring to the audio of his torture? I thought that can from his iwatch onto the cloud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed.

There's nothing credible about it.

consulate, but arent they given the same legal rights as an embassy (saudi soil in turkey)?
Sorry, I just realised why you asked this question - I wasn't nitpicking the status of Saudi embassy/consulate, but referring to where Markov's assassination took place. While killing a dissident in your embassy is crazy, killing someone on the street with a ricin tipped umbrella is pretty crazy too.

Also, I think the Turks aren't telling the full truth, although their story is definitely a lot closer to the truth than the Saudis' version of events.

Sorry, I just realised why you asked this question - I wasn't nitpicking the status of Saudi embassy/consulate, but referring to where Markov's assassination took place. While killing a dissident in your embassy is crazy, killing someone on the street with a ricin tipped umbrella is pretty crazy too.

Also, I think the Turks aren't telling the full truth, although their story is definitely a lot closer to the truth than the Saudis' version of events.

embassy or consulate is a bigger deal than on the street

the street is the country's own territory, its laws and police have power

an embassy is land gifted to you, and there is supposed to be a degree of mutual respect. govts have stopped storming embassies, even for people they genuinely hated, out of respect for this position

Iran still bears the legacy of storming the US embassy 40 years ago. I dont think the Saudi's realize how this will stain them globally

embassy or consulate is a bigger deal than on the street

the street is the country's own territory, its laws and police have power

an embassy is land gifted to you, and there is supposed to be a degree of mutual respect. govts have stopped storming embassies, even for people they genuinely hated, out of respect for this position

Iran still bears the legacy of storming the US embassy 40 years ago. I dont think the Saudi's realize how this will stain them globally
Distinction without a difference IMO.

The Saudis use slave labour in their Canberra embassy. They are widely known to flout convention, international laws, etc.

Distinction without a difference IMO.

The Saudis use slave labour in their Canberra embassy. They are widely known to flout convention.

there are degrees

most govts run spies from their embassies, but thats seen as part of the game

this isnt. outside the USA, do you think any govt will support the "he died in a fist fight" defense?

there are degrees

most govts run spies from their embassies, but thats seen as part of the game

this isnt. outside the USA, do you think any govt will support the "he died in a fist fight" defense?

The Saudis are already the biggest abusers of diplomatic immunity in the world. Widely known in Canberra that you steer clear from them. I don't think they care.

Cutting a guy up with a bonesaw sounds hardcore until you remember that their army equipped with trillions of dollars of the best American/European equipment and US tech support are getting their arses handed to them by some raggedy Houthi rebels because their infantry won't get out of their armoured vehicles to fight. These people are psychopaths and cowards, a pathetic combination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back