Society/Culture SBS: Is Australia racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

I always take any sort of content like that with a grain of salt. Who knows how much footage they have of reactions that wouldn't have benefited their story that they opted not to use.

Its like those impressive shot videos. Yes great shot, but how many attempts did it take before you got the right one?

If they wanted to do that, they'd probably have cut out the footage of the Aboriginal woman walking into stores and expecting rudeness/being watched yet showed a pretty normal shopping experience.

Off the top of my head, the only time I've witnessed racism first hand was a few years ago when Sydney smashed Adelaide. An angry Crows fan yelled [censored] at Adam Goodes and walked out just before 3 qt time. I honestly struggle to think of anything besides that. Not counting non malicious politically incorrect barbs. But I live a sheltered life mostly at university.

My Mum and her family would have plenty of examples from back in the day. Thankfully times have changed :)

Decided to watch "Is Australia racist?" on SBS.

The first few scenes was with a Mauritian girl dressed in African garb being racially abused by another young girl. At first, I was completely appalled by the clearly unacceptable taunts:
  • "Where did you get that iPad? Did you steal it?"
  • "Did you get here on a boat?"
  • "How do you say your name?" *makes clicking noises*
One of those quotes was used to show "Australians at their worst".

But then, lo and behold, it was just some stupid actor pretending to be racist to get a reaction from nearby bystanders. **** off!

Decided to stop watching this rubbish right then and there.
Ray Martin is a self aggrandising fukwit.
He'll do anything for a gig on the Teev.
The instant I saw his head I switched channels.
The epitome of s**t journalism...except to the Current Affair style door stoppers who idolise him.
Denham ******* etal

Last edited:
Wow way to miss the point.

The situation that so put you off because it was creating fake racism to create the perception that Australia was racist was, in fact, showing the complete opposite.

The show used this scenario to demonstrate many Australians willing to stand in and defend the poor girl on the receiving end. They showed at least 3 examples of strangers telling the actors that what they were saying was unacceptable. The whole point of the scenario was to highlight that Australia has a reasonably high level of anti-racism!!!

The other scenarios they created to obtain footage of actual people being actually racist were, in some cases, appalling. But I would say they showed as much of the "good" in Australia when it comes to racism as they did the "bad". I was particularly impressed with what was shown when the Arabic woman who had attended a right-wing anti-Islam rally merely to listen and discuss with anyone who spoke to her first...

I certainly WASN'T impressed when the police responded to a complaint about her being there by issuing her a move-on notice and telling her she was disturbing the peace. But I WAS impressed with a number of the rally attendees who were willing to defend the girl with the police, and point out that she hadn't been argumentative or disruptive at all and had merely engaged quite reasonably with a few members of the crowd.

Overall it was a pretty good show... probably could've gone deeper into different attitudes within Australia about what is and isn't racism, but it was in my opinion very balanced. Aboriginal woman going shopping and being treated with nothing but respect by shopkeepers as well as the examples above some of the counter-points to the horrible treatment of the girl in the niqab and the violent manhandling of the Aboriginal kid by the security guys.

Thing is
I don't care who the SBS boss dates
Their coverage is biased and racist

These public set-ups should be outlawed. There should be no questioning whether real life situations are real because s**t and desperate media outlets pump out fraudulent material for ratings.

The batch from a couple of years ago about being helpful in public were just as toxic for the community.

Does anyone still watch SBS ? Should have been axed years ago.
On the whole SBS is a great network....probably too left of centre for many though...populated with wogs and mussies and all.

By contrast cellar dweller SBS records minuscule numbers and is often below 5 per cent audience share. That's for all three SBS channels combined. SBS's secondary channels remain largely unwatched and it's not unusual for the national indigenous TV to record a zero figure. SBS simply doesn't justify the level of funding it currently receives. Indeed one could argue that the broadcaster no longer lives up to its charter. And with the internet and digital radio providing a wealth of programming options from around the world, why are Australian taxpayers being slugged $246 million a year for a station that is of questionable value and relevance?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/r...g/news-story/8891ee8b821d1a080dd28d3a2babcca5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watch SBS News for the unparalleled international news coverage that you simply will not get on the other free to airs.

In the end it offers a perspective on things you won't get from Today Tonight and for that reason it is an invaluable service for Australians.

No one gives a s**t about your politicising kwikfix. Try writing to Andrew Bolt, you might have support there.

By contrast cellar dweller SBS records minuscule numbers and is often below 5 per cent audience share. That's for all three SBS channels combined. SBS's secondary channels remain largely unwatched and it's not unusual for the national indigenous TV to record a zero figure. SBS simply doesn't justify the level of funding it currently receives. Indeed one could argue that the broadcaster no longer lives up to its charter. And with the internet and digital radio providing a wealth of programming options from around the world, why are Australian taxpayers being slugged $246 million a year for a station that is of questionable value and relevance?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/r...g/news-story/8891ee8b821d1a080dd28d3a2babcca5
Love the link, says it all.
They have been railing against the ABC and SBS before you could read.
Fake News! Framing affect (I love that term).

Love the link, says it all.
They have been railing against the ABC and SBS before you could read.
Fake News! Framing affect (I love that term).

The Hun has been railing against public broadcasting for longer than a week. :D

ha. I am going to just take a wild punt here and say generally, those who read the HS, don't watch the SBS.

Exactly right. What matters most is doing your best to recognise any internal biases and ensure that you treat people equally.

This is such a good point. And it's lost on most. I don't think there's a single person that hasn't said or done something that was racist to some degree. When it gets called out (and it's happened to me) it's actually a great opportunity for some reflection, an open discussion about why it might not be a great idea to say certain things and hopefully some self-improvement. Unfortunately when you try to bring it up (in a non-condescending way) so many people just take it in a way that they think you've rooted their dead mum or something. It's actually impossible.

I think that if you are in this thread saying "I didn't watch it but here is what they did and why it is wrong..." then you're in the wrong thread.

I didn't watch it. I'm not commenting on what happened in the show.

I didn't watch it, so won't comment on the content.

But I do know the title, and the binary nature of the question "Is Australia Racist" is probably the first mistake they have made. (apart from being a nice loaded and divisive question that may maximise viewership).

"How racist is Australia" or "How is Australia racist" would be more appropriate titles IMHO if you want to have a meaningful discussion on the topic.

Asking "is Australia racist" is about as good as asking "Is Australia hot"

The Bad- Yes, as a country we are racist. As individuals, many people are more racist than they care to admit
http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2017/02/20/comment-racism-australia-stats-are-clear
If you are Aboriginal, at least every fifth person you interact with will openly admit to holding racist attitudes against you.
The re-emergence of One Nation (following Trump/Brexit internationally) is concerning too

The Good- We aren't as racist (as a country) as many parts of the world, and racism being less prevalent amongst younger people shows that things are improving, and that there is hope for the future. We need to keep making progress though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back