Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yes, we forgot.

It's better to not play in finals at all, than to play in finals but not win the flag - as it means you have a better premiership to finals appearance ratio.

Marlion Pickett should have retired after his first game - then HE would have been the GOAT.
I can't wait for the Suns to play an elimination final. If they win it, with their 100% record, they will go down as the greatest finals team of all time in their BOG player as the best finals player ever. You can't beat 100%.

I can't wait for the Suns to play an elimination final. If they win it, with their 100% record, they will go down as the greatest finals team of all time in their BOG player as the best finals player ever. You can't beat 100%.
And they should just forfeit their following final, as they wouldn't want to risk losing it and therefore the GOAT finals team and GOAT finals player records.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with leaning so heavily on a one sample data size, for a player well known to have a 5 year peak (that included 2016) that was far greater than anything he produced as an 18-25 year old or in his 30s. Yes, that checks out.

Maybe this explains why he only has 5 elite seasons. If he was in the Pendles role his whole career surely it would be 12 or 13. Poor Dusty, sacrificing his game to play ahead of the ball matched up against Tuohy, old man Shaw and Andy Otten. Letting Prestia and Cotching get an easy ride as permanent midfielders.

A sample size of 1 in this case is also a sample size of 100%. It is all you need to see to know the truth.

Dusty had 5 elite seasons says Meow...but 8 AA squads and 8 x Richmond leading voter in the Coaches MVP. How many times was Scott leading Collingwood voter in the Caoaches MVP I wonder? Meow will no doubt report on this promptly if he believes in full and frank disclosure. Meanwhile, we will sit on the edge of our seats waiting to see if Scott led his club in the Coaches MVP more or less than Dusty's 8 occasions.

What Scott did lead was his team onto the field on a lot of occasions. He was such a good leader that he was in fact the 3rd most successful of the last 3 captains to have captained a club that by the way has won 2 Grand Finals in the last 65 seasons - not exactly a very successful club. :moustache:

A sample size of 1 in this case is also a sample size of 100%. It is all you need to see to know the truth.

Dusty had 5 elite seasons says Meow...but 8 AA squads and 8 x Richmond leading voter in the Coaches MVP. How many times was Scott leading Collingwood voter in the Caoaches MVP I wonder? Meow will no doubt report on this promptly if he believes in full and frank disclosure. Meanwhile, we will sit on the edge of our seats waiting to see if Scott led his club in the Coaches MVP more or less than Dusty's 8 occasions.

What Scott did lead was his team onto the field on a lot of occasions. He was such a good leader that he was in fact the 3rd most successful of the last 3 captains to have captained a club that by the way has won 2 Grand Finals in the last 65 seasons - not exactly a very successful club. :moustache:
You would've been a hell of a scientist MR. One sample, one recording and bang you have your paper! Maybe even a Nobel Prize.

"Richmond's leader" in coaches votes is meant to be impressive? It might be if it was backed up by more BnF victories, AA selections and top 10/15 coaches votes placements. Pendles played at a high level for longer. Martin's best few years were more influential than Pendles, relative to his team mates. Pendles did it in great, decent and poor sides. Martin shone when Richmond were the dominant force, with just one certifiably elite season (2016) otherwise.

Martin would probably be ahead by the time they reached 30 (those 5 years were that good), but has been spluttering since while Pendles has continued to stamp on legacy-building components year after year.

Both would be walk-up selections to any team. One is the engine, one is the dynamite stick. If your team is swarming and bullying the opposition, you take the latter. If you need to orchestrate things from the source in all situations, pick Pendles.

Averages are pointless unless you extrapolate Dusty out to Pendles amount of games, using Martin's 2024 output as the new marker. He is going at 0.5 coaches votes per game this season, which could easily decline by season's end. But let's be generous and use 0.5 coaches votes per game to take him to Pendle's amount of games.

96 more games for Martin at 0.5 votes per game is 48 votes to add to his 787, giving us 835 coaches votes compared to Pendles 900.

A projected average of 2.12 coaches votes per game for Martin compared to 2.40 for Pendlebury.

But of course Martin will retire far earlier than that, which is what I mean by "protecting his averages". Another 5 years of this and they would come way down, whereas if he calls it after this year they don't take a big hit.
Right so he does average more Brownlow and coaches votes.

And you want to “projection” which you’ve explicitly not told us to do in regards to COVID related seasons “because we can’t assume he do it”

You really are something else Mr Meow. Truely unbiased 🥴

I like how Dusty was apparently only good for 4 seasons, yet is only 9 career Brownlows votes behind “Mr Consistent” Pendlebury who was apparently elite for 11. It’s concerning that people don’t see something is off with this.

Dusty must have been a god for those 4 seasons or Pendles isn’t as elite as people think. I think it’s both.

Right so he does average more Brownlow and coaches votes.

And you want to “projection” which you’ve explicitly not told us to do in regards to COVID related seasons “because we can’t assume he do it”

You really are something else Mr Meow. Truely unbiased 🥴
When he does at 400 odd games, get back to me.

Otherwise it's about as relevant as comparing someone's average on 150 games as 350.

Martin is already showing the massive coaches votes average decline that takes place as game 300 approaches. Pendles has played to a high standard basically another 100 games after that.

Otherwise it's about as relevant as comparing someone's average on 150 games as 350.

Martin is already showing the massive coaches votes average decline that takes place as game 300 approaches. Pendles has played to a high standard basically another 100 games after that.

100 more games for only 9 more Brownlow votes. I think I could give it a crack. Like what has Pendles been doing all day?

Also good to know Boomer Harvey is the GOAT can’t compare averages with him. As he’s played the most games. Do you actually hear yourself sometimes, like for real?

I like how Dusty was apparently only good for 4 seasons, yet is only 9 career Brownlows votes behind “Mr Consistent” Pendlebury who was apparently elite for 11. It’s concerning that people don’t see something is off with this.

Dusty must have been a god for those 4 seasons or Pendles isn’t as elite as people think. I think it’s both.
Number of top 10/15 coaches votes placements. Compare the 11 year run I showed for Pendles with the best 11 year stretch of Martin's career (2013-2023? or 2011-2021?). It ain't close. Martin has a 5 year run that you can argue was better (due to his 3 superb finals runs dragging him up) than Pendles best 5 year run, but it isn't close when you go a decade or longer.

Number of top 10/15 coaches votes placements. Compare the 11 year run I showed for Pendles with the best 11 year stretch of Martin's career (2013-2023? or 2011-2021?). It ain't close. Martin has a 5 year run that you can argue was better (due to his 3 superb finals runs dragging him up) than Pendles best 5 year run, but it isn't close when you go a decade or longer/

I have he’s averaged more coaches votes in his career, more Brownlow votes, had a better peak and better in finals. The end.

From 31 years onwards Pendlebury has 127 coaches votes in 92 matches. For a full time mid that is not "played to a high standard."

From 31 years onwards Dusty has a higher coaches vote average despite much of the sample being made up of time he is known to have had difficulties and he has not played much in the midfield.

So the thrust of your post is radically incorrect. As per.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have he’s averaged more coaches votes in his career, more Brownlow votes, had a better peak and better in finals. The end.

And played in more flags than Scott, kicked way more goals, WON more Brownlows, more Smith medals, more Ayres Medals, topped his club in coaches votes more often....

So you just got "The end" in the wrong spot there Cleany. :)

From 31 years onwards Pendlebury has 127 coaches votes in 92 matches. For a full time mid that is not "played to a high standard."

From 31 years onwards Dusty has a higher coaches vote average despite much of the sample being made up of time he is known to have had difficulties and he has not played much in the midfield.

So the thrust of your post is radically incorrect. As per.
Martin turned 30 in 2021. From that season onwards he's collected 96 coaches votes.

Pendlebury turned 30 in 2018. From that season onwards he's collected 262 coaches votes. In better sides with more vote stealers than Richmond 2021-2024.

Does Martin have another 160 coaches votes and counting left in him? I'm not so sure.

Pendles has remained an important midfielder for sides contending for premierships in his 30s. Still placing well in BnFs in strong sides.

Martin turned 30 in 2021. From that season onwards he's collected 96 coaches votes.

Pendlebury turned 30 in 2018. From that season onwards he's collected 262 coaches votes. In better sides with more vote stealers than Richmond 2021-2024.

Does Martin have another 160 coaches votes and counting left in him? I'm not so sure.

Pendles has remained an important midfielder for sides contending for premierships in his 30s. Still placing well in BnFs in strong sides.

Laughable post from you.

Martin could retire right now and Pendlebury wouldn't get anywhere near any of his major achievements if he played for another 100 years.

But at least we can now see where all Pendlebury's votes have gone.

There is a criminal class of footballer known as a vote stealer according to meow. Pendlebury had so many votes stolen off him poor bastard. :tearsofjoy:

Laughable post from you.

Martin could retire right now and Pendlebury wouldn't get anywhere near any of his major achievements if he played for another 100 years.

But at least we can now see where all Pendlebury's votes have gone.

There is a criminal class of footballer known as a vote stealer according to meow. Pendlebury had so many votes stolen off him poor bastard. :tearsofjoy:
Laughable i.e logically presenting the marker Martin would have to reach to match Pendles in their respective 30s? I know it wasn't as spicy as your attempt to write off veteran Pendles, but if they both retired tomorrow (and let's be honest, Dusty looks as ready as Scott) then the latter's output as a veteran would be about 2.5x as good. Let's see if Martin ages like a fine wine too, rather than a mouldy loaf of bread.

Laughable i.e logically presenting the marker Martin would have to reach to match Pendles in their respective 30s? I know it wasn't as spicy as your attempt to write off veteran Pendles, but if they both retired tomorrow (and let's be honest, Dusty looks as ready as Scott) then the latter's output as a veteran would be about 2.5x as good. Let's see if Martin ages like a fine wine too, rather than a mouldy loaf of bread.

A player playing temporarily under duress is not necessarily ready to retire. As you will likely see when Dusty gets a chance to correct whatever is wrong with him, likely after playing his 300th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back