Rename the Olympic Stand

Rename?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
With all the talk of possible tributes to Ron Barassi, is this a good one?

The MCG has two stands named after cricketers and none named after footballers.

Ten-time premiership winner Barassi is the perfect choice.

It's not even truly the Olympic Stand. That was built for... you guessed it.. the Olympics in 1956. This was built in 2006.

Vote...

It's not even truly the Olympic Stand. That was built for... you guessed it.. the Olympics in 1956. This was built in 2006.

Vote...
I like the idea of Ron getting a stand named after him, but your reasoning about the Olympic stand is not truly the Olympic stand is stupid.
What you are saying is, if we change the name to The Barassi stand and they rebuild it, then we should change the name again.

Rename it the Paralympic Stand....to be inclusive. Seems to be the done thing these days.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Vote...
Understand the push to honour Ron, but I certainly wouldn’t rename the Olympic Stand. That’s a nod to its possibly greatest moment, being an Olympic Stadium.

Why not consider how we can create a presence and monument for each of the light towers? Or name the scoreboards. Either of these maybe no good, but I’d think of another great way to honour the great man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue with The Olympic stand remaining as Melbourne and the MCG did host the Games at one time. I think they should re-name the Premiership medal to all players on the winning team. "The Ron Barassi Medal"!

Vote...

The MCC are the landlords, the AFL are tenants. Can’t imagine the MCC would ever contemplate honouring a tenant performer?

A few statues outside of the ground, and maybe a few displays in the museum would be as far as the MCC would ever honour the AFL’s presence?

IIRC the land is owned by the state through a trust, managed by the MCC and let from them by the AFL.

Naming and statues and such is nominally up to the MCC but they do what the govt says. A bog decision like that would go at least to the ministerial level if not the premier.

Footy is a big popular game and more centralized than cricket which has an elaborate semi amateur structure AFAIK.

I guess if the AFL really went hard they could get the Olympic Stand renamed fir Barrassi.

The MCC are the landlords, the AFL are tenants. Can’t imagine the MCC would ever contemplate honouring a tenant performer?

A few statues outside of the ground, and maybe a few displays in the museum would be as far as the MCC would ever honour the AFL’s presence?
Shane Warne - St Kilda Cricket Club
Bill Ponsford - St Kilda Cricket Club

"Tenant performers"

With the Barrasi thing.

Think that we can have a medal for the minor premiership team the team that ends on top of the ladder after the home and away season.

We can have a medal for the team or like a type of plate or type of shield.

The barrasi shield for the minor premier.

I think keep the Olympic stand the same.

We do have the Barrasi function rooms in the shane warne stand dont forget.

I think we can have a Bar in the MCC as the Barrasi bar something like that i guess.

Back