Sydney's stand on betting

Remove this Banner Ad

Who cares if there are lots of advertisements about betting. In the end everyone has a choice about what they do in their lives and what they spend their money on. Don't gamble/bet if you can't afford it if you lose.
Someone doesn't understand addiction.
But I'm guessing that's a discussion for a separate board.

Someone doesn't understand addiction.
But I'm guessing that's a discussion for a separate board.
Even if addicted, are gamblers addicted to betting large amounts? Surely placing $0.50 bets a couple of times a day isn't going to make you broke if you lose

Who cares if there are lots of advertisements about betting. In the end everyone has a choice about what they do in their lives and what they spend their money on. Don't gamble/bet if you can't afford it if you lose.
Even if this made sense, which it doesn’t, what about the thousands of kids watching who don’t yet have the maturity to make such decisions, but are still being constantly influenced to gamble?

Even if this made sense, which it doesn’t, what about the thousands of kids watching who don’t yet have the maturity to make such decisions, but are still being constantly influenced to gamble?
Children wouldn't have the money to bet, would they?

Even if addicted, are gamblers addicted to betting large amounts? Surely placing $0.50 bets a couple of times a day isn't going to make you broke if you lose

A pathological gambler will gamble literally everything.
They will usually have some form of mental health condition which requires on going management. Sometimes it takes years to gain the right diagnosis as pathological gamblers struggle to set aside money to see a health professional such as a psychiatrist.
Often gamblers will leave themselves without any money for fuel, bills or even food.

Gamblers are more likely to commit suicide than any other form of addiction.

There is more going on than just betting.
These people have serious issues and young children catching on to gambling is a recipe for disaster.

No, but when they grow up seeing the odds, hearing commentary teams talk about "value", watching parents and siblings and mates all laugh about missing 1 leg on their multi then they grow up thinking that it's all just 'part of the game'.

And it's not.

People might start on a $5 multi for a laugh. If you can stick to that more power to ya, but there's thousands of people who can't.

They chase their losses. Then the bookies offer incentives - Put $500 in and get $500 of bonuses - so people double down.

Then, as we found out in Parliament during the week, if people win too much off these bonuses, the bookies will restrict or ban them to stop them ever having a chance to win back their losses at all!

It's a rigged system and we should absolutely not be acting like it's all 'part of the game' to our kids.

A pathological gambler will gamble literally everything.
They will usually have some form of mental health condition which requires on going management. Sometimes it takes years to gain the right diagnosis as pathological gamblers struggle to set aside money to see a health professional such as a psychiatrist.
Often gamblers will leave themselves without any money for fuel, bills or even food.

Gamblers are more likely to commit suicide than any other form of addiction.
You see I don't understand how someone who loses say $2,000 and can't pay their bills that month doesn't think to themselves * maybe that wasn't a good idea and I won't do it again? Why would a mental health condition impact them betting?

You see I don't understand how someone who loses say $2,000 and can't pay their bills that month doesn't think to themselves * maybe that wasn't a good idea and I won't do it again? Why would a mental health condition impact them betting?

Because they don't think "I shouldn't do that"

They think "*, now I'm $2000 down. What's the quickest way to get it back? Oh I'll scrape all my money together and chuck $1000 on the Tigers today, they are a good thing. That'll get me back on track!"

And then they are even more ****ed.

No, but when they grow up seeing the odds, hearing commentary teams talk about "value", watching parents and siblings and mates all laugh about missing 1 leg on their multi then they grow up thinking that it's all just 'part of the game'.

And it's not.

People might start on a $5 multi for a laugh. If you can stick to that more power to ya, but there's thousands of people who can't.

They chase their losses. Then the bookies offer incentives - Put $500 in and get $500 of bonuses - so people double down.

Then, as we found out in Parliament during the week, if people win too much off these bonuses, the bookies will restrict or ban them to stop them ever having a chance to win back their losses at all!

It's a rigged system and we should absolutely not be acting like it's all 'part of the game' to our kids.
I guess that's a different question though. Corrupt multi million (billion?) dollar organisations are not a rare occurrence in the world, no matter what industry.
Because they don't think "I shouldn't do that"

They think "*, now I'm $2000 down. What's the quickest way to get it back? Oh I'll scrape all my money together and chuck $1000 on the Tigers today, they are a good thing. That'll get me back on track!"

And then they are even more ****ed.
In that case maybe there needs to be education about this in the latter years of high school?

As I pointed out in my previous post, you don't understand how addiction works.
Happy to explain it to you, but probably elsewhere, as I don't want to go to the trouble only to have my post deleted for being off topic.

It's not about getting children to bet.
It's about the gambling industry planting the gambling seed into kids' minds in the hope (or expectation) that it will fully bloom when they are old enough to legally bet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that's a different question though. Corrupt multi million (billion?) dollar organisations are not a rare occurrence in the world, no matter what industry.

In that case maybe there needs to be education about this in the latter years of high school?

Absolutely there should be.

But that doesn't exclude the idea that the ads should GTFO the broadcasts.

I know this type of dribble really appeals to ignorant consooomers, but the grandstanding strikes me as rather tone deaf only a few days after extending their partnership with Qatar Airways.

Reading this thread though, it's seemingly won over a few so fair play to the Swans marketing team I guess.

I know this type of dribble really appeals to ignorant consooomers, but the grandstanding strikes me as rather tone deaf only a few days after extending their partnership with Qatar Airways.

Reading this thread though, it's seemingly won over a few so fair play to the Swans marketing team I guess.
As I tried to point out before (now deleted unfortunately), taking a stand on one particular issue doesn't mean a person or entity has to take a stand on all moral issues it comes across in their various dealings/relationships.

It's not about getting children to bet.
It's about the gambling industry planting the gambling seed into kids' minds in the hope (or expectation) that it will fully bloom when they are old enough to legally bet.

Yep like any business they have a plan to acquire new customers. That's also why the betting ads use sub-adolescent level humour.

This is just so typical of modern PR.

The hide to make a self-aggrandising video, staring down the barrel of a camera, the poignant music is the background.

Right now, the Swans financially do not exist without sports betting. Their biggest financial backer is the AFL.

The AFL has huge sponsorship deals with betting companies. The AFL get a slice of every bet placed.

The AFL’s whole business strategy - including that in the northern states - is based on broadcast revenue, which is largely underwritten by sports betting advertising.

The salary of every bullshitting person in that video depends on sports betting.

Like many things, change starts with truth and the recognition of reality.

Guys: this is the business you are in, like it or not.

Trying to distance yourself from it is just PR bullshit to polish your own image and will make zero real difference.

In fact, it actively prevents change by conning people that actual change is happening. It’s not.

So 30k people who come to the game don’t see advertising. As they well know, multitudes more watch on TV and for them it’s wall to wall betting.

I loath statements like this generally, but really: modern society is just so rooted.

PR, PR, PR.

The absolute hide of them. More front than Myer.

Are you confusing Sydney with GWS? Sydney have 52,000 members, have zero debt to the AFL and have posted a couple mil profit last few years but even if a club is reliant on the AFL, so what? The AFL have non profit status and should be supporting the community as part of that, including clubs and not taking blood money from vermin like Sportsbet.

Are you confusing Sydney with GWS? Sydney have 52,000 members, have zero debt to the AFL and have posted a couple mil profit last few years but even if a club is reliant on the AFL, so what? The AFL have non profit status and should be supporting the community as part of that, including clubs and not taking blood money from vermin like Sportsbet.
His point is Sydney gets $16m from the AFL who in turn get a large chunk of that money from Sportsbet.

It's much like North and their "no pokies" stance. Looks great but scratch the surface and the hole left behind means they get $18-$19m from the AFL which includes funds raised by other clubs...... through pokies.

It's great to trumpet that "we don't directly benefit" when you know you'll get second hand benefit to cover any hole.

Sydney are such fakes.

In the year they trumpeted lgbt inclusion a Sydney player visibly called will langford a ‘******* NTTAWWT’ on a televised game

All they're doing is controlling the amenity and atmosphere at the game. It's something in their control. If it's what 90% of swans fans want, then they're giving it to them.

whataboutwhataboutwhatabout?

I doubt they surveyed Swans fans on what they think of Pradeep having his passport confiscated when he arrives in Qatar to work construction.

I don’t think you understand how addiction works.

His point is Sydney gets $16m from the AFL who in turn get a large chunk of that money from Sportsbet.

It's much like North and their "no pokies" stance. Looks great but scratch the surface and the hole left behind means they get $18-$19m from the AFL which includes funds raised by other clubs...... through pokies.

It's great to trumpet that "we don't directly benefit" when you know you'll get second hand benefit to cover any hole.
It’s an incredibly complicated situation, I’m sure every club would love to cut ties with every bit of questionable money they receive, but you can’t do it all at once.

I think we can all agree that it’s a good thing that people (especially children and those predisposed to gambling addictions) can now attend Sydney and Adelaide matches without having betting advertisements shoved in their face.

His point is moot. The AFL will find other revenue streams, just as they did when tobacco advertising got banned. This is a step in the right direction no matter what lens you try to put on it. Given we have the highest $ per capita spend on gambling we desperately need to change the toxic masculinity around “punting and the lads” as it is destroying so many men’s lives.

And it's not.

Great post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back