Rename the Olympic Stand

Rename?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So have no Aboriginal people achieved?

In sport, not to the same extent as non indigenous people. If you are going to name a stand at a sporting venue after an indigenous person, you are doing so because of their hertiage....which seems kinda racist.

Do it on merit and if that person is indigenous, then great. But don't start selecting indigenous people over non indigenous just because of their background.

Really. Most other facets are named after people's achievements. Not because they were here first.
My response was to the idea that we shouldn't use indigenous words in football because we don't "need" to. We also don't "need" to name stadia after corporate entities, or play on cricket grounds, or use a rugby-shaped ball, or have a finals system, or play on weekends.
Saying it is unnecessary is not an argument against doing something in a competition that is entirely recreational and nothing more than an indulgence in entertainment.

My response was to the idea that we shouldn't use indigenous words in football because we don't "need" to. We also don't "need" to name stadia after corporate entities, or play on cricket grounds, or use a rugby-shaped ball, or have a finals system, or play on weekends.
Saying it is unnecessary is not an argument against doing something in a competition that is entirely recreational and nothing more than an indulgence in entertainment.
It's educational. I'll admit it's only in the last ten years or so I've become more aware of Indigenous names for places outside of Adelaide and sporting clubs adopting them has been part of that learning process.

In sport, not to the same extent as non indigenous people. If you are going to name a stand at a sporting venue after an indigenous person, you are doing so because of their hertiage....which seems kinda racist.

Do it on merit and if that person is indigenous, then great. But don't start selecting indigenous people over non indigenous just because of their background.

So Adam Goodes and Buddy Franklin are not considered two of Sydney’s greatest players ever? Are they not worthy of a stand? Did Cathy Freeman not provide us with possibly Australia’s greatest sporting moment ever that night? Is Peter Matera West Coast Eagles greatest player ever? We could keep going. I would suggest Aboriginal people are under represented in naming rights in comparison to their impact on sport. I think it’s a pretty ordinary comment to say ‘not to the same extent as non indigenous people’.
It would also be lovely to have some stands or grounds named after a word linked to the Aboriginal lands they sit on.

Racist lol ????????

So Adam Goodes and Buddy Franklin are not considered two of Sydney’s greatest players ever? Are they not worthy of a stand? Did Cathy Freeman not provide us with possibly Australia’s greatest sporting moment ever that night? Is Peter Matera West Coast Eagles greatest player ever? We could keep going. I would suggest Aboriginal people are under represented in naming rights in comparison to their impact on sport. I think it’s a pretty ordinary comment to say ‘not to the same extent as non indigenous people’.
It would also be lovely to have some stands or grounds named after a word linked to the Aboriginal lands they sit on.

Freeman...I'd name a stand after Cuthbert before Freeman. 3 gold at the 56 Olympics and 1 at the 64 Olympics.

Freeman...I'd name a stand after Cuthbert before Freeman. 3 gold at the 56 Olympics and 1 at the 64 Olympics.

What Freeman did far outweighed what Cuthbert did. For an Australian to win a Gold Medal over 100m, 200m or 400m in modern day is almost impossible. She also carried the weight of a nation on her back. And why the hell would you name a stand after Cuthbert at a track she never ran it.

What Freeman did far outweighed what Cuthbert did. For an Australian to win a Gold Medal over 100m, 200m or 400m in modern day is almost impossible. She also carried the weight of a nation on her back. And why the hell would you name a stand after Cuthbert at a track she never ran it.

Couple of things.

1. One of us is confused. I thought we were talking about the MCG Olympic Stand - the track Cuthbert won her Gold at. Freeman won in Sydney,

2. Shame on you. You should know better than to fall for the trap of recency bias. I guess the Collingwood 4 in a row isn't better than Brisbane's 3 or Hawthorn's 3 in row because they happened in different eras.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MCC are the landlords, the AFL are tenants. Can’t imagine the MCC would ever contemplate honouring a tenant performer?

A few statues outside of the ground, and maybe a few displays in the museum would be as far as the MCC would ever honour the AFL’s presence?

Barrasi played for the MFC which is a sporting section of the MCC. It is not a tenant club like Collingwood or Hawthorn, it has a shared history with the MCC, which makes this a pretty redundant argument

Back