Rename the Olympic Stand

Rename?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course there should be a stand named after a footballer, it's just cricket arrogance stopping it. Footy pays the bills and is much more popular than cricket in Melbourne. The Adelaide oval has multiple stands named after footy players and footy wasn't played there for ages.

How was Steve Bracks trying to push for the cup to be named barrasi yesterday to pressure the AFL instead of him renaming a stand at the mcg. It was poor form, but good that Eddie put him straight back in his place which I enjoyed.

Actually it's amazing how much the Australian game has flourished despite the jealousy and suppression tactics of the imported English sports here and over the border.

Last edited:
Of course there should be a stand named after a footballer, it's just cricket arrogance stopping it. Footy pays the bills and is much more popular than cricket in Melbourne. The Adelaide oval has multiple stands named after footy players and footy wasn't played there for ages.

How was Steve Bracks trying to push for the cup to be named barrasi yesterday to pressure the AFL instead of him renaming a stand at the mcg. It was poor form, but good that Eddie put him straight back in his place which I enjoyed.

Actually it's amazing how much the Australian game has flourished despite the jealousy and suppression tactics of the imported English sports here and over the border.
The secret lies in the "C" in MCG.

Without AFL, the MCG would be a wasteland. One test a year, a handful of limited over and T20 games and that's about it. Spectator-wise, cricket would be lucky to attract 250,000 attendees to the MCG across the year, compared with more than 3 million AFL attendees.

Without AFL, the MCG would be a wasteland. One test a year, a handful of limited over and T20 games and that's about it. Spectator-wise, cricket would be lucky to attract 250,000 attendees to the MCG across the year, compared with more than 3 million AFL attendees.
By the same token without the MCG the AFL have no 100k stadium. Who knows where we would be. Both sides need each other.

By the same token without the MCG the AFL have no 100k stadium. Who knows where we would be. Both sides need each other.
Yes, they need each other. Al the more reason for the MCG Trust to embrace the idea of Ron Barassi having a stand named after him to honour his contribution to sport at the MCG. Renaming the Olympic Stand makes perfect sense because the connection of the current Olympic Stand to the 1956 Games is tenuous.

Barassi is one of if not the biggest legend in the game. Would not be surprised if there is not something significant names after him. The AFL premiership is one idea I like. A stand at the G would be fitting as well.

Point taken, but you're underselling cricket.

That quota would be 1/3 met on an average Boxing day, and you need to include the other 4 days of the test, big bash, along with bilateral T20I/ODI series and world cup matches.

Cricket cashing in off football. They barely even play there. I'd like to see the attendance figures for cricket compared to footy across a year, they'd go broke without footy. A bit of appreciation would be good.

Cricket cashing in off football. They barely even play there. I'd like to see the attendance figures for cricket compared to footy across a year, they'd go broke without footy. A bit of appreciation would be good.
The ground is managed by the MCC. The AFL are tenants.

The ground is managed by the MCC. The AFL are tenants.

What's your point, that only cricket should be recognised at the ground? Doesn't happen at the Adelaide oval or scg and they don't live off the teet of football as much as the mcg does.

What's your point, that only cricket should be recognised at the ground? Doesn't happen at the Adelaide oval or scg and they don't live off the teet of football as much as the mcg does.
Do you beg your landlord for recognition that you payed his mortgage?

What a stupid comment. Why do they have the Olympic stand then? the Olympics aren't a tenant of the 'cricket' ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a stupid comment. Why do they have the Olympic stand then? the Olympics aren't a tenant of the 'cricket' ground.
Except it isn't.
The MCG is ultimately owned by the Victorian Government and controlled by the MCC.
The same government that paid for the Olympics...

Except it isn't.
The MCG is ultimately owned by the Victorian Government and controlled by the MCC.
The same government that paid for the Olympics...

Hang on, so cricket doesn't even own the stadium? This makes it even worse. Also, who owns the SCG and Adelaide oval?

Dumb analogy. So let me get it right. Because it’s the MCG and the AFL is a mere tenant, you think it’s inappropriate to rename the ‘Olympic Stand’ the Ron Barassi Stand?

Dumb analogy. So let me get it right. Because it’s the MCG and the AFL is a mere tenant, you think it’s inappropriate to rename the ‘Olympic Stand’ the Ron Barassi Stand?
Not at all. I would prefer the cup be named after him.

Not at all. I would prefer the cup be named after him.

There is no better person to get some long awaited recognition at the home of football than finally naming a stand after the Australian football legend, Rob Barrassi.

Back