Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what you’re saying here and agree, but by that same logic, it’s the Pendlebury type who toiled all game to keep it within arms length, not the X factor type.

The X factor type is there to enjoy the adulations for doing the flashy stuff but it’s the Pendlebury/Mitchell/Black who even made it possible in the first place.
Yep, agree. It’s what I tried to articulate back to the poster simply around X-factor. Pendles doesn’t really have it.
Makes it no more or no less.
From another perspective, if you could guarantee me Pendles career if I’m at the draft over the potential X-factor and game winning abilities of his peers, I’d take that choice every time.
Nil negativity was implied in my second post. Simply a point of difference

Magnificent player over a huge period of time. Clearly has an excellent resume and his legacy in the game is enormous.

As for the 'best player since 2000' question. For me personally, I place a higher value on (a) whether or not the player was consider the #1 player in the game at any point in their career and (b) the player's influence over premiership/s. Because of this, I wouldn't have Pendlebury higher than the likes of Dusty, Hodge or Buddy.

Absolute champ no doubt. Might not be the "sexiest" or eye catching type of player, but he'll cut you to pieces in his own way and his longevity and consistency has been amazing.

I find ranking him a bit difficult. There's no doubt players just a tier above who can have a more monstrous impact on a game on their day, but they also don't tend to last as long in the league. Judd being just one example.

If you want a long term and ultra consistent leader who has their own control of their local time and space though, you'll find none better than Pendles. He's also a renowned big game player.

As for the 'best player since 2000' question. For me personally, I place a higher value on (a) whether or not the player was consider the #1 player in the game at any point in their career...
This is an interesting discussion point.

I agree, Pendlebury was never rated as the #1 player in the game at any given point in time, but his peak was at the same time as the 3 players who are unquestionably the best three players we've seen since the turn of the century - GAJ, Buddy and Judd.

It would be interesting to see how we'd all rate Martin (for example) if his peak also coincided with these greats, and the Richmond 2017-20 team had to compete with some of the greatest teams we've seen since the turn of the century.

Has been my favorite non Saints player of all time.

His consistency over 15 years of elite level football in nothing short of incredible.

This is an interesting discussion point.

I agree, Pendlebury was never rated as the #1 player in the game at any given point in time, but his peak was at the same time as the 3 players who are unquestionably the best three players we've seen since the turn of the century - GAJ, Buddy and Judd.

It would be interesting to see how we'd all rate Martin (for example) if his peak also coincided with these greats, and the Richmond 2017-20 team had to compete with some of the greatest teams we've seen since the turn of the century.

Good points for sure. I guess it depends on how you define a peak for athletes. I'd argue Pendlebury's lasted from 2009-2019. Therefore, in my view, Martin was indeed competing against Pendles for the mantle of best player in the game.

Another factor worth considering is the selfless nature of Pendlebury's playing style. He's the type that always played his football in order to bring about team success while the flashy types (Swan, Thomas, etc.) receive the plaudits. My feeling is that this unfairly hurts him in these debates.

Good points for sure. I guess it depends on how you define a peak for athletes. I'd argue Pendlebury's lasted from 2009-2019. Therefore, in my view, Martin was indeed competing against Pendles for the mantle of best player in the game.
Check out my earlier post with Pendlebury's year on year output.

His peak was clearly 2010 to 2013, where he was consistently in the AA side, and had consistent high finishes in either (or all of) The Brownlow, AFLPA MVP and AFLCA Coaches Award.

The fact his performance only dipped marginally outside of his peak years, but enough to still have him rated in the best 11 to 20 in the game, is testament to his consistency, but it's unfair to say Pendlebury had the opportunity to contend with Martin for being rated the best player in the game when you're looking at Martin's best 4 season's, whilst at the same time looking at Pendlebury's 6th to 10th best seasons.

Instead, Pendlebury was contending with the likes of GAJ, Franklin and Judd at their peaks, which is extremely elite company (two of whom most have as clearly the best two players since the turn of the century, with the third player being many people's choice - including mine - for the third best player since the turn of the century).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gun player, been around for ever it seems, struggling now a bit at times but certainly a rung or two below the very best of the last 20 years.

I don't know where Pendles ranks amongst his peers. I think I am too biased to answer this question.

I must admit, I'm reaching my late 20s and I've been privledged to grow up watching and cheering on some absolute champions in Roger Federer, Sachin Tendulkar, Michael Schumacher and Lionel Messi. I guess Scott Pendlebury is my last boyhood hero. The amount of joy, happiness and hope these legends have brought me in the early part of my life is profound.

I guess something in common with these sportsmen is not only longevity, but their ability to maintain a high level of success at the highest level over a long period of time. This is why I respect Pendles. This is why he will go down as one of the greatest to wear the black & white!

The lads a standout champion that should be afforded respect as a great of the game, particularly as a leader. The best way I can describe it is I would have him in a Blues jersey any day of the week and it's all about perspective in how you see his role.

GAJ, Dusty, Judd etc were the type of players that would constantly go out and win a game off their own boot, it's what was expected of them. I see Pendles as more of a selfless type to help his teammates be the star whilst he sets things up in the background. He leads by example and has shown humility throughout his career. How he prepares himself, especially when it comes to recovery, is up there with the best, hence his longevity.

Most times players don't go after him when he's got the ball because they know closing space on him leaves greater space around him to bring his teammates into the game, so they play off him to try and quell his influence in a contest. That's why he always appears to have so much time with ball in hand. He's not the best player on the field all the time, however, his football intelligence and leadership helps bring the best out of his team.

I don't know where Pendles ranks amongst his peers. I think I am too biased to answer this question.

I must admit, I'm reaching my late 20s and I've been privledged to grow up watching and cheering on some absolute champions in Roger Federer, Sachin Tendulkar, Michael Schumacher and Lionel Messi. I guess Scott Pendlebury is my last boyhood hero. The amount of joy, happiness and hope these legends have brought me in the early part of my life is profound.

I guess something in common with these sportsmen is not only longevity, but their ability to maintain a high level of success at the highest level over a long period of time. This is why I respect Pendles. This is why he will go down as one of the greatest to wear the black & white!
Great post, and it's interesting that you mention Federer (and not Nadal or Djokovic).

Those who exclude Pendlebury from the top echelon since the turn of the century due to the fact he's never been regarded as the best player in the game at any point in time defies logic.

To use the tennis analogy, Federer was world number 1 exclusively for the better part of 5 years between 2004 and 2008, after which time he shared it with Nadal and Djokovic, until Djokovic had some longer reins as world number 1 from 2014.

So if we say Federer was regarded as the best player in the world for near on a decade, with Djokovic taking that title for the past 8 years, where does that leave Rafa?

There may have been short periods where Rafa may have been regarded as the best in the world, but if we say on and off that may have been for a total of up to two years?

So we're left with Rafa being on a par with the likes of Stefan Edberg and Lleyton Hewitt who were also both regarded as the best in the world for up to a couple of years, but well behind the likes of Lendl, Connors and Sampras in the list of all-time greats, who were all generally regarded as the best player in the world in their respective eras for circa 5 years.

It really does defy logic.

Good ordinary footballer. Longevity is the only thing going for him. When was the last time anybody was scared of Pendles ripping a game apart. Literally has zero X factor.

Trac and Oliver’s prime are way better than his and they are just foetuses.
Thought I’d wandered into the bay, even had to check the forum. 😂

Never played in a winning Grand Final team. Never won a Smith Medal in a Grand Final. Mulligan match superstar though.
Tell me you slept through 2010 without telling me you slept through 2010.

Absolute champion of the game. I reckon Dave Swans two brownlows should have been Pendleburys. Sat just below GAB Jnr for quite a number of years - no mean feat. And still out there playing elite footy. Silk and class.

Pretty rare for a player to play so many games without having any heat with opposition fans. And he plays for Collingwood. Fair achievement.
He must be a good footballer and bloke if he plays for, and has captained Collingwood, yet is universally liked. That, or people have lost their minds. I think the former.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back