Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would rate him the GOAT of consistently elite football

he was a jet from day 1, and as he turns toward game 400, continues to be one

has never been in the convo as the best player in the league at any one time, but I genuinely can't recall a single game where I have thought he has spudded it up (I don't think I can say that about any other elite player)
I dont think you can call pendlebury a jet from day 1 given he only played 8 games in his first season whereas Judd and selwood were actual jets in the afl from day 1 winning afl rising star awards in their first season recruited. Pendlebury finished second in his second year and wasnt even in consideration in his first.

Still behind a few others like Fyfe, Danger and Dusty on pure playing ability, but if we take his entire resume into account and also consider factors such as leadership, he is right at the top in my eyes and probably even pips Selwood despite obviously having less flags. He certainly has Selwood covered as a player. I think it's quite widely accepted that he is Collingwood's greatest ever player no?
I asked this question once about Pendles, and was told he is not even in the conversation.

I dont think you can call pendlebury a jet from day 1 given he only played 8 games in his first season whereas Judd and selwood were actual jets in the afl from day 1 winning afl rising star awards in their first season recruited. Pendlebury finished second in his second year and wasnt even in consideration in his first.
It’s ok Seeds, it doesn’t need to be turned into a Pendles v Selwood thread.

I asked this question once about Pendles, and was told he is not even in the conversation.
Again , how can anyone really say he is widely considered Collingwoods greatest player?

You can really only judge players on the era in which they are playing and the state of the game at that time.

I don’t think anyone can say they saw the Coventrys, Colliers and Dick Lee play. You’ve also got Todd, Rose, Thompson, McKenna, Daicos, Buckley, Moore and even Swanny. I mean the list goes on.

It’s just far too hard to compare,I believe he is certainly Collingwoods best player since Nathan Buckley, but was he better than Buckley, not so sure ? Pendles played against Ablett and Judd, but Bucks played against Voss and Hird, it’s just a hard thing to judge.

He will be given his dues and rightfully so as he has had a wonderful career.

That's because he missed most of his first season with glandular fever.

Then he came back in his second year and won the AFLCA best young player award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again , how can anyone really say he is widely considered Collingwoods greatest player?

You can really only judge players on the era in which they are playing and the state of the game at that time.

I don’t think anyone can say they saw the Coventrys, Colliers and Dick Lee play. You’ve also got Todd, Rose, Thompson, McKenna, Daicos, Buckley, Moore and even Swanny. I mean the list goes on.

It’s just far too hard to compare,I believe he is certainly Collingwoods best player since Nathan Buckley, but was he better than Buckley, not so sure ? Pendles played against Ablett and Judd, but Bucks played against Voss and Hird, it’s just a hard thing to judge.

He will be given his dues and rightfully so as he has had a wonderful career.
He seems to be aging better than a few other players entering their final years in the game

Fadge’s 4th best player since 2000 delusion. He’s not even as good as Bont.
Is that it? Fadge is entitled to hes opinion. I’m sure you have similar feelings about Dusty. Not everyone agrees with Fadge and not everyone agrees with you. Opinions are like ***holes everyone has one.

The problem I have is you don’t need to turn a thread about Pendles whom is a true champion of our game into a toilet thread.

That's because he missed most of his first season with glandular fever.

Then he came back in his second year and won the AFLCA best young player award.
He played 8 games in his first season averaging only 13 disposal a game.

Also, if we want to discount periods of injury then there are a whole bunch of other players that would be just as consistent. Many (perhaps most) guns only had bad periods because their body struggled with injury or fitness.

Is that it? Fadge is entitled to hes opinion. I’m sure you have similar feelings about Dusty. Not everyone agrees with Fadge and not everyone agrees with you. Opinions are like ***holes everyone has one.

The problem I have is you don’t need to turn a thread about Pendles whom is a true champion of our game into a toilet thread.
See Dusty threads for exhibit 2.

He played 8 games in his first season averaging only 13 disposal a game.

Also, if we want to discount periods of injury then there are a whole bunch of other players that would be just as consistent. Many (perhaps most) guns only had bad periods because their body struggled with injury or fitness.
What point are you even arguing?

Or just semantics like usual?

Nathan Buckley - 'Pendlebury is officially Collingwood's GOAT'. 'Arguably the smartest player ever to have played the game.'

J. Brown - 'It's hard to disagree with'

Pendle's 1st quarter in his 393rd game on Saturday played the 9th best quarter of his career. Suspect the final quarter of the 2023 Grand Final is up there too.

G. Lyon - 'Nick Daicos might challenge him by the time his career's through'.

Of course he’s a champion. Maybe top 20 since 2000 though not 4th. Where do you rate him?

He came to the club as a big hope and his 1st pre season pre xmas had trackwatchers pretty excited. He got a nasty glandular fever in Mid late Jan and was sent home for a month before slowly resuming a modified pre season. No practice matches and missed the early VFL games. Reckon he came into the VFL team about round 5 had a few games and then was ready for the AFL team.

The glandular took a big chunk out of his 1st season and he had no fitness base. Even so it was acts like the Paul Williams steal in game 3 that confirmed to Maggie supporters we had a pretty special talent. I think you should factor the glandular fever to why he only played 9 games in season 1.

2007 he was 2nd in Coll B&F in a top 4 side, 2nd Rising star and won the coaches best young player which Selwood won the following year.

Selwood and Pendles both qualify as jets from day 1 for me. They also has careers that ran side by side, were never the best in the comp but always therabouts and maintained their greatness throughout long careers. Very hard to split.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back