Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a bit hard to rate Pendles single best season.

2011 through 2014 was his real peak.
When he avg 30 disposals, 5+ tackles and 5+ clearances per game per season. Would get 20+ brownlow votes and high 70+ coaches votes during that time.

For the stats nerds, Pendles was 120+ for super coach for 4 consecutive years and dropped a peak player rating year of 19.9....for comparison 2017 was the only season where Dusty had a super coach avg of 120 and player rating above 17, the Bont has also only had one season above 120 and yet to get a player rating higher than 18.

But for Pendles best single season, was it 2011 when he was runner up in AFL MVP? Or 2013 when he was AFL coaches award champion? Or 2014 when he had his 19.9 player rating year?

Or was it 2010, where he was 4th in the brownlow and also jagged norm smith medal?

Pendles was acknowledged as best handful of players in the game for a 5 year period, and his individual best games stack up with anybody

33 disposals, 10 tackles, 11 score involvements, 11 inside 50s, 9 clearances, 760 mtr gained, 20 pressure acts, supercoach 182 and player rating of 33.5 for a single game in 2014

Some fools cant remember peak Pendlebury from 10-15 years ago, so instead use his recent seasons when in his 30s when he is probably producing 70% of what he did at his peak, still a great player.

14 top 3 finishes in Pies best and fairest, 10 All Australian squads, will end up with 3rd most brownlow votes ever, the most disposals ever.

His peak was just as good as the likes of Bont, Fyfe, Mitchell etc.

SuperCoach heavily values disposals. You’ll find pure mids get better scores than mid/fwds. I believe Short and Duncan got better SC scores than Dusty in the 2020 GF despite him kicking a bag of 4. So I wouldn’t say 2014 was his best.

I’d probably say 2010 was his best due to his finals series, flag and norm in conjunction with his AA but Mr.Meow/Fadge would probably rate 2013 as his best as they’d prefer a coaches award over all of that.

SuperCoach heavily values disposals. You’ll find pure mids get better scores than mid/fwds. I believe Short and Duncan got better SC scores than Dusty in the 2020 GF despite him kicking a bag of 4. So I wouldn’t say 2014 was his best.

I’d probably say 2010 was his best due to his finals series, flag and norm in conjunction with his AA but Mr.Meow/Fadge would probably rate 2013 as his best as they’d prefer a coaches award over all of that.
2011 is definitely his best season IMO. Insane finals campaign where he averaged 34.3 disposals, 5 tackles, 6 clearances and 6 I50s, and over the year he amassed 742 disposals and kicked 24 goals, and came 3rd in the Brownlow.

2011 was his best season IMO

Is there a reason why you didn’t rank him as per my question?
You haven't showed anything approaching reason or analysis. You are just going with the usual weird hypothetical gotchas, in this case that because Martin's best ever season was stronger than Pendlebury's greatest, that he was a better player with a more impressive career.

Being in the top 2% of players for over a decade? Nah, that's just irrelevant. Being voted the best like Cooney or Woewodin is why people clearly favour those players ahead of Pendlebury.

More breathtaking work, Falcon. Bravo. Stop ruining threads you troll.

You didn't even watch him play in either year! How on Earth would you know when he was better? Getting a spreadsheet out?

What about 2024?

I know who I’d be taking.

Pendles is still playing top football at 36, Dusty is struggling to get a kick at 32.

I think that sort of sums it up.
Dusty is tiptoeing bruise-free to 300 games, what an embarrassment

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You haven't showed anything approaching reason or analysis. You are just going with the usual weird hypothetical gotchas, in this case that because Martin's best ever season was stronger than Pendlebury's greatest, that he was a better player with a more impressive career.

Being in the top 2% of players for over a decade? Nah, that's just irrelevant. Being voted the best like Cooney or Woewodin is why people clearly favour those players ahead of Pendlebury.

More breathtaking work, Falcon. Bravo. Stop ruining threads you troll.

It’s just a simple and pretty valid question. I know why you won’t answer it though and that’s fine.

Dusty is tiptoeing bruise-free to 300 games, what an embarrassment

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The weight of the honour of playing 300 games is being seriously dragged down when you have the likes of Martin being dragged there when their football simply isn’t up to scratch anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty got AA squad last year but ok. When was the last time Pendles got that?
Pendlebury made the team in 2019 - he was 31 years 70 days at the start of that season.

Martin was 31 and approximately 250 days at the start if his AA squad year in 2023, after doing very little the previous two seasons.

So not quite the gotcha you thought it might be...

Last edited:
Pick whatever way to rank players you want, Pendles peak sits alongside all the champs.

Having an avg of 120+ in supercoach is the elite of the elite, Pendles had 4 seasons in a row at that level...only Gaz Jnr with 7 betters Pendles.

Player rating...Pendles had a 19.9 avg in 2014, Dusty in 2017 was 20.8.

The only other players to have a season better than Pendles in relation to player rating are Gaz Jnr and Dangerfield.

He was 2nd in AFL MVP in 2011
He was awarded coaches player of the year in 2013.

Yeah you could go 2010, norm smith + 4th in brownlow
Others would go 2011, 2nd players MVP, 5th in brownlow and supercoach avg of 129
Some might go 2012, best clearance and contested possession season
Some might go 2013, coaches best player
Some might go 2014, where he had a season player rating avg of 19.9

Only Gaz Jnr has a better sustained peak than Pendles 2010-14.

And Pendles going at 70% of that peak like he has in the last 5 years is still an absolute star and arguable top50 player in the game despite being in his mid 30s!!

And Pendles going at 70% of that peak like he has in the last 5 years is still an absolute star and arguable top50 player in the game despite being in his mid 30s!!
Not only has he got his hands on the footy more often than any other player in the history of the game, there would be a reasonable argument to suggest he has materially influenced more winning games for his team than any other player - 2023 Grand Final and the Carlton and Adelaide matches this year as recent examples.

Pick whatever way to rank players you want, Pendles peak sits alongside all the champs.

Having an avg of 120+ in supercoach is the elite of the elite, Pendles had 4 seasons in a row at that level...only Gaz Jnr with 7 betters Pendles.

Player rating...Pendles had a 19.9 avg in 2014, Dusty in 2017 was 20.8.

The only other players to have a season better than Pendles in relation to player rating are Gaz Jnr and Dangerfield.

He was 2nd in AFL MVP in 2011
He was awarded coaches player of the year in 2013.

Yeah you could go 2010, norm smith + 4th in brownlow
Others would go 2011, 2nd players MVP, 5th in brownlow and supercoach avg of 129
Some might go 2012, best clearance and contested possession season
Some might go 2013, coaches best player
Some might go 2014, where he had a season player rating avg of 19.9

Only Gaz Jnr has a better sustained peak than Pendles 2010-14.

So you are saying Pendlebury has the 2nd best peak of the 2000s. Surely you are joking?

Not only has he got his hands on the footy more often than any other player in the history of the game, there would be a reasonable argument to suggest he has materially influenced more winning games for his team than any other player - 2023 Grand Final and the Carlton and Adelaide matches this year as recent examples.

Ok now this is surely a troll, Hodge, Voss, Selwood, Dusty just to name a few contributed more to flags than Pendlebury.

This is why I’m commenting on this thread. It’s utter delusion.

Ok now this is surely a troll, Hodge, Voss, Selwood, Dusty just to name a few contributed more to flags than Pendlebury.

This is why I’m commenting on this thread. It’s utter delusion.
Selwood would be up there with Pendlebury in terms of materially influencing winning the MOST GAMES OF FOOTBALL.

Of the others you have referenced:
3. Hodge
4. Voss
5. Martin

Dangerfield, Mitchell, Franklin, Bartel amongst others would all be ahead of Martin.

Selwood would be up there with Pendlebury in terms of materially influencing winning the MOST GAMES OF FOOTBALL.

Of the others you have referenced:
3. Hodge
4. Voss
5. Martin

Dangerfield, Mitchell, Franklin, Bartel amongst others would all be ahead of Martin.

Well most them played more games. You can have that I’ll take the flags. Also Martin averages more Brownlow votes than Pendlebury. In total he is 9 votes behind even though Pendlebury has played 100ish more games. Pretty sure Martin also has more 3 vote games. So your stats doesn’t scream impressive to me.

And just lol at Bartel, Mitchell, Danger and Hodge. Nobody would take them over Dusty.

Well most them played more games. You can have that I’ll take the flags. Also Martin averages more Brownlow votes than Pendlebury. In total he is 9 votes behind even though Pendlebury has played 100ish more games. Pretty sure Martin also has more 3 vote games. So your stats doesn’t scream impressive to me.
The way Martin is going he could play 200 more games and still wouldn't catch Pendlebury (who by the way will extend his lead in Brownlow votes over Martin this year).

Top 3 Best and Fairest 9 times 3 premierships a brownlow norm smith and 2 time brownlow runner up also played 323 games. Im taking Black everyday of the week.
Black is a star, but not at Pendles level

Top 3 BnF - 14 Pendles, 9 Black
BnF - 5 Pendles, 3 Black
AA - 6 Pendles, 3 Black
Norm Smith - 1 each
Coaches Best to Pendles = Brownlow to Black
Career Brownlow votes - 221 Pendles, 184 Black
Both also won different media best player awards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back