Second club locked in for proposed China game, says Gillon McLachlan

Remove this Banner Ad

A few facts amongst all the guesswork, commenting and squawking:
  • This project was started in 2013 in Hong Kong by volunteers who are life-long Port Adelaide Football Club supporters. This is how and when the heavy lifting started. Said volunteers regularly donated time and funds to go from step 1 to step 2 and so on....
  • The SA Government didn't get involved until there was a viable project to support within the overall strategy and that was PAFC's sponsorship of the China squad to IC14 in August 2014. Since then other projects such as the SAASTA Aboriginal Academy Tour to China late 2015 have been supported by such institutional benefactors as SA Tourism and UniSA and Club sponsors such as EnergyAustralia (owned by China Light & Power in HK).
  • The Adelaide Football Club could have done something similar, but didn't. For example one strident voice on this thread, that of marty36 to be precise, was heard last year telling all and sundry on the Crows board how he was going to China with an SA Govt. delegation, how important he was, etc. etc. Nothing was said by Marty on his return to Adelaide about how he had discovered during his observant trip to China that a massive underhand plot was being perpetrated by arch enemy Port Adelaide to actually make a commercial success of the international strategy that had been started by Club volunteers living and working in HK & China. How dare such a thing happen!
  • The CEO of Adelaide Football Club labelled the Port Adelaide China Strategy a 'Sideshow' during a round-table forum conducted by the media last year, turned to Port CEO Keith Thomas and said to his face: "This is not a knock on you, Keith." Motivation? Priceless.
  • Heavy lifting is great fun, when you get in first.

Not here to argue, I think the concept of what you guys are doing is great. Not just for you, but the game as a whole. Do think you guys are prematurely celebrating as their is little in this deal for your AFL program right now. But can see the huge potential for you guys.

I reckon Fagan has that point of view as a person who has worked in sporting administration in a non AFL state. Where the AFL has had over 30 years to grow the game and NRL, Union and then possibly Soccer are still ahead in both our biggest state (NSW) and the fastest growing one in terms of population. Previously he has said these markets are where our game needs to grow.

My main question for you is what do you see as the main focus of this push. Is it (A) to get more Chinese sponsors on board, or (b) to grow the game in terms of supporters/players in China and thus potentially increase the value of TV ratings?

Both outcomes would be good for our game overall. Melbourne and Gold Coast already have Chinese involvement on the sponsors board, but the more money we can bring into the best game in the world, the better of it will be.

That's the whole point - port want someone else to pay for their $600k+ bill.

Sounds familiar doesn't it...

When is your club going to start paying it's own way, rather than this expectation that other parties pay on your behalf!
Cmon Kane, Lets talk when you guys stop living rent free at west lakes.

Not here to argue, I think the concept of what you guys are doing is great. Not just for you, but the game as a whole. Do think you guys are prematurely celebrating as their is little in this deal for your AFL program right now. But can see the huge potential for you guys.

I reckon Fagan has that point of view as a person who has worked in sporting administration in a non AFL state. Where the AFL has had over 30 years to grow the game and NRL, Union and then possibly Soccer are still ahead in both our biggest state (NSW) and the fastest growing one in terms of population. Previously he has said these markets are where our game needs to grow.

My main question for you is what do you see as the main focus of this push. Is it (A) to get more Chinese sponsors on board, or (b) to grow the game in terms of supporters/players in China and thus potentially increase the value of TV ratings?

Both outcomes would be good for our game overall. Melbourne and Gold Coast already have Chinese involvement on the sponsors board, but the more money we can bring into the best game in the world, the better of it will be.
Appreciate the post.
The objectives are all of the above, plus a few more.
Everything started with the minimum aim of seeking out a new commercial frontier for the Port Adelaide Football Club, to assist the Club secure financial security and never again be in the position we were in 2012.
That has largely been achieved, fingers crossed. What we did not reckon into the equation was the innate spectacle and marketability of our unique code of football and its fit with the special place that is Australia.
Our game has sold itself, and this has now brought AFL House into the action.
The reality is that the project has outgrown its own blueprint and, China being what it is, there is room for more than one club to benefit: Port Adelaide coming first - and why the hell not as we took the initiative and set the whole thing up.

Appreciate the post.
Everything started with the minimum aim of seeking out a new commercial frontier for the Port Adelaide Football Club, to assist the Club secure financial security and never again be in the position we were in 2012.
That has largely been achieved, fingers crossed. What we did not reckon into the equation was the innate spectacle and marketability of our unique code of football and its fit with the special place that is Australia.
The reality is that the project has outgrown its own blueprint and, China being what it is, there is room for more than one club to benefit: Port Adelaide coming first - and why the hell not as we took the initiative and set the whole thing up.
Wait. Why should port get anything since its an away game?

Its a suns home game they should get the financial bonuses

Appreciate the post.
Apparently Melbourne did all of the heavy lifting though LR....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think it is a great idea, why are people getting up in arms about it. I mean they don't really have anything to lose. The AFL is just trying to promote our beloved game in another country, what's wrong with that? I know it's more of an experiment but if it goes well then good job, if it fails then oh well, move on. I honestly don't see how it is a bad thing.

I honestly think it is a great idea, why are people getting up in arms about it. I mean they don't really have anything to lose. The AFL is just trying to promote our beloved game in another country, what's wrong with that? I know it's more of an experiment but if it goes well then good job, if it fails then oh well, move on. I honestly don't see how it is a bad thing.

Yeh, I don't see the problem either, it's not costing anyone anything, and Port clearly deserve to make something out of it.

Re the Suns, the fit seems almost perfect, and in any event, in 2018 they lose their stadium for part of the season because of the commonwealth games - so you'd think the Suns would be playing two years running in China.

I think the giants would have been a decent fit as well:
1. because we are still making our way and would do whatever we're told to do (the piper must be paid one way or another); and
2. we don't have access to our home ground early on in the season - every season.

Also, personally, I liked the way the Suns CEO talked, about needing to think bigger - they are a small club, and likely to always be a small club - so occasionally they are going to have to take a risk like this a try something different. The Giants are in the exact same boat.

Besides the usual Adelaide shitfight, I don't think anyone is up in arms. Most are a little bemused at the idea; as I've said previously, there's no harm in trying, but I expect this to be as successful as promoting the game in the UK and US (i.e. not at all). I'm more amused at how some Port fans seem to think this is the greatest coup of modern times and opposition fans questioning it are somehow 'salty', like we all want our teams to give up games to play in China.

Not the AFL but a huge industry in the wings is just starting and that is exporting the game through tours, on the 24th April (tomorrow) there will be 4 games between Australian and NZ teams in NZ

Independent schools team from Sydney, a boys and girls team from Mornington peninsula and a AFL academy team V a NZ national team as the main game.

Combined with travelling parents etc this has huge potential.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=315762&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=43065739
Peninsula Saints on tour to New Zealand

http://aflnswact.com.au/school-stars-to-take-on-new-zealand/

School stars to take on New Zealand

http://aflnz.co.nz/

Besides the usual Adelaide shitfight, I don't think anyone is up in arms. Most are a little bemused at the idea; as I've said previously, there's no harm in trying, but I expect this to be as successful as promoting the game in the UK and US (i.e. not at all). I'm more amused at how some Port fans seem to think this is the greatest coup of modern times and opposition fans questioning it are somehow 'salty', like we all want our teams to give up games to play in China.

If I wasn't so close to this, and hadn't been involved since the project's inception, I would probably agree with you.

It's a bit like your best mate marrying a girl you have no time for. "Crikey, Bruce, what do you see in her?"

In any event, seems like it may not be a done deal for GC to be the "other" club

"Tony Cochrane the president has come out clearly saying he wants it and I think there's a bit of positioning there," McLachlan said on 3AW.

"It's very clear now, I can say publicly, Gold Coast want to be in China but a decision hasn't been made and there are other clubs interested.

"It [the money] comes out of whatever deal's done, we won't be paying a club to do it."

And apparently Hall was taken out of context. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise. Then again, it wouldn't be all that surprising if he was now just back-pedaling.

Reacting to a post on Facebook about the supposed deal, young ruckman Keegan Brooksby tagged teammate Aaron Hall about the news, with Hall adding: "I'm out mate."

In a post on Twitter, Hall said his Facebook comment had been taken out of context.

"My comment has been taken out of context. An in-house gag about my superstitious pre game rituals. I would love to play a game in China," Hall said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-in-china-20160421-gocfxm.html#ixzz46WFYcyOy

Tony Cochrane has personal experience taking a foreign sport to China & he had skin in the game (his own money) - he was CEO of V8 Supercars. I'd back him to make sure the Suns get plenty out of this - been there, done that in China !!

there's no harm in trying, .

Because they did try. Remember Demons and Lions. There was a resulting small boost to Chinese local leagues.

I expect this to be as successful as promoting the game in the UK and US .

The only recent promotion in the U.S. has been the combines from which Holmes and Cox have played AFL.
The only past promotion in the U.K. was an exhibition game. Australian Football in Britain has since jumped ahead through re-structuring.

I'm more amused at how some Port fans seem to think this is the greatest coup of modern times
The potential leverage to Port still looms large and hopefully more will be achieved than Melbourne did.
Port games feature in China like the Sydney swans were once the only Australian Football team on TV on a Sunday
and hopefully they will extract more than the SANFL when they were on Chinese TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back