Fourth Test team

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I wouldn't be bringing him in just yet. If you want to throw a debut to a top 4 batsman, based on Shield form it should be Harris or Larkin.

Dan Hughes and Matthew Wade are tearing it up, but as Gough said we don't really have problems in the lower middle order.

Even with Larkin's recent "great run of form", he averages sub-30 at FC level.

Caveat: Commenting purely on what I speculate the selectors will do rather than what I want to happen or agreement with same:

I don't recon they'll make any changes to the XI for the 2nd test. Unless they get stressed about "bowling loads" given the short turnaround and forecast temperatures in Perth - in which case they'll probably just swap Handscomb for M Marsh.

Caveat: Commenting purely on what I speculate the selectors will do rather than what I want to happen or agreement with same:

I don't recon they'll make any changes to the XI for the 2nd test. Unless they get stressed about "bowling loads" given the short turnaround and forecast temperatures in Perth - in which case they'll probably just swap Handscomb for M Marsh.
Imagine getting a test recall off the back of not passing 50 in your last 6 innings in shield cricket and having a bowling average of 62. What a time to be alive for Mitch.

Starc is clearly not 100% fit. Aus need him badly for Perth, but if India manage to make Aus bowl long enough, they will likely end up losing Starc for the remainder of the series. Is Pattinson fit and available? I thought I saw some video of him bowling in FC with Stoinis?

Aus bowlers are going to need some serious help from the tracks. Else this tour could get very one-sided, very quickly.

Agree with that absolutely- we 100% need him. But a change of role with the ball might be what he needs to freshen up his game and regain his rhythm.
Pattinson is fit but still on bowling restrictions, which mean not great for a test match. He is aiming to be fit for the Ashes which would probably be the earliest he would be considered for test selection.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tremain should and will be ahead of both

Are we trying to replace starc though, or are we talking about the next best option. Tremain isnt a terrible replacement for starc, but i would of thought Jhye Richardson or James Pattinson are much more similar types of bowler.

Are we trying to replace starc though, or are we talking about the next best option. Tremain isnt a terrible replacement for starc, but i would of thought Jhye Richardson or James Pattinson are much more similar types of bowler.

Firstly Pattinson is no chance he’s on a programme that limits his bowling. Aiming to be ready around the Ashes at the earliest.

My view is simple you pick the best three bowlers, variety is a small point and you have it anyway with Hazelwood’s height.

I know its been said over and over again but the break for the Big Bash can not be at a worse time. For example, if Finch fails again in both innings in Perth, someone like Burns could have really pushed his case for the remainder of the series with a good score in a shield match starting this week.

But no. We'll come back to red ball cricket at the end of February.

Imagine getting a test recall off the back of not passing 50 in your last 6 innings in shield cricket and having a bowling average of 62. What a time to be alive for Mitch.

Agree. The infatuation with an all rounder and lack of batting depth in a) the top 6 and b) those pushing to replace them, is keeping him in the selectors minds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Adelaide test has shown that our bowlers are fine without the all rounder but we desperately need to pick our best 6 bats. I don't think Stoinis is anywhere near that, but if it did come down to it, I'd give him a shot before bringing Mitch back in.
Stoinis is nowhere near what we think a top six batsman should be. But he’s a lot closer than you think based on our actual top six. I don’t think there’s any quick fixes or any long term gems hiding away in the Shield. Replacing Marsh or Handscomb with Burns or Maxwell is neither here nor there. Likewise replacing a Harris or Head with Renshaw or Patterson. The last two might be the most likely to grow into the role but that would mean a sound thrashing in this series.

Stoinis is nowhere near what we think a top six batsman should be. But he’s a lot closer than you think based on our actual top six. I don’t think there’s any quick fixes or any long term gems hiding away in the Shield. Replacing Marsh or Handscomb with Burns or Maxwell is neither here nor there. Likewise replacing a Harris or Head with Renshaw or Patterson. The last two might be the most likely to grow into the role but that would mean a sound thrashing in this series.

Yep. Fiddling with the top-6 now is shuffling the deck chairs, no more.

Allow the current lot time to grow into the role, hope a Head or a Harris can stick long term, and the re-assess at the end of the series.

Marsh would offer more than Finch that's for sure. Finch should never have pulled on a white kit for Australia.

No he wouldn’t.

At least Finch might be a competent test batsmen once this series. Marsh is terrible can we not go back thee! We’ve finally got rid of him can we leave him where he should be. Another player who is Shield standard and is a limited overs player at best

No he wouldn’t.

At least Finch might be a competent test batsmen once this series. Marsh is terrible can we not go back thee! We’ve finally got rid of him can we leave him where he should be. Another player who is Shield standard and is a limited overs player at best
Mitch at least has a century on our flat decks, not convinced Finch will get one. As I posted earlier, any change to the top six is neither here nor there really, but Finch is the one I’d probably change. Not for Mitch mind you, maybe Renshaw or Patterson or Burns for a little more solidity (just a little).

Mitch at least has a century on our flat decks, not convinced Finch will get one. As I posted earlier, any change to the top six is neither here nor there really, but Finch is the one I’d probably change. Not for Mitch mind you, maybe Renshaw or Patterson or Burns for a little more solidity (just a little).

I’m with you on those options although personally I wouldn’t play Burns, but would be better than playing Finch or Mitch Marsh. If Ferguson made a few more runs that would be an option too

The thing is that you can't pick Stoinis for the 2nd test.

It is whoever is in the squad.

Seriously how do some people get it. Also love Junior's response.

The thing is that you can't pick Stoinis for the 2nd test.

It is whoever is in the squad.

Seriously how do some people get it. Also love Junior's response.

"...Aust need the extra bowler..."

Yep - that was my takeaway from the Adelaide test too - India 20 fer 550 odd. :rolleyes:

Warney is practically the Hulk Hogan of Australian cricket these days, brotha!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back