World Cup Semi Finals: Game One - Brazil vs Germany (9th July 6:00AM AEST) (Belo Horizonte)

Remove this Banner Ad

Say what you like about David Luiz you can't question his committment to his country. Watch the video below of his post-match interview (English sub-titles) and it's hard not to feel sorry for him.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/07/09/brazil-skipper-luiz-apologises-loss

A lot of people on here this morning are calling him a "rubbish" defender etc, and criticised his attacking runs up the pitch. But this is his role within the team and how he has always played for Chelsea. Admittedly, he had a shocking game but he is in that Brazilian team because he takes risks and scores goals. Thiago's suspension didn't mean that Luiz had to change his style and play a marking role on Mueller or any of the German forwards, Dante was brought into the side for this role. He's one of the most expensive defenders in the world for a reason, and one poor game doesn't change this.
just saw some of the post match interview. I have to agree, I feel sorry for him even though I've trash talked him majorly in this thread. Poor guy was devastated and as he said just wanted to see the Brazlians smile. I still despise him though lol.

Fully agree. Two continental blockbusters better than the alternative.

I'm telling you right now Argentina v Brazil for 3rd place play-off will be anything but a meaningless friendly. These two sides have not met in a world cup in 24 years and there would be everything to play for. Read the lyrics below of the chant the Argentine fans have been singing all World Cup if you don't believe me!

Brazil, tell me how it feels / to be bossed around in your own home / I swear that even if years pass / we will never forget / that Diego [Maradona] out-skilled you / that Cani [Claudio Caniggia] surprised you / you are crying since Italy [World Cup 1990] till today / you are going to see Messi / the World Cup will be ours / Maradona is greater than Pelé.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH brutal! Agreed 3rd place playoff or not, that game will be far from a meaningless match. It never is!

can anyone confirm if the brasilian team was built around Neymar? It certainly seemed so.

It's been several hours, I've seen the highlights, I've read the news articles and the discussion forums. I've also read through this thread from start to finish.

And I still can't believe this is real. 7 f***ing goals past Brazil in their own World Cup semi-final. Is this the real life, is this just fantasy? Someone tell me I'm still dreaming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may as well ignore any stats taken after the 30 min mark though as the match was completely over as a contest.

Yep. Would be interesting to see what they were in the first 30mins.

Didn't plan to watch any of this match, but didn't have a good night's sleep, got up around quarter to five, thought I'd see what the half time score was. I was expecting Germany up 1-0 or so.

:drunk:
Did the same. Woke up, saw the end result, my mind goes "ok, penalty shoot out final score. ...wait WTF??"

BsE80ANCcAE8McB.jpg

PSG owners rummaging through the bin to find their receipt for Luiz..

Still in shock over the result last night! I was confident Germany would win, but 7-1? Not sure how anyone can defend Luiz as a player, he is flimsy as a defender at best, plays in good teams where the players around him make him look better than he is. Had to lead the line in the absence of Silva and being up against a powerhouse in Germany they played straight through him. Bad combination. Brazil too busy playing with their hearts instead of their head. Germany came to win a game of football, Brazil played like it was a testimonial for Neymar. Hard to look past the Germans to win it.

Big discussion at work today.

I think this is the biggest sporting 'result' in the modern era (i.e. in the last 100-150 years). Think 2/3 of the office were on my side.

I legitimately think this will go down as one of the most amazing reuslts over a 100-200 year period. In ANY sport. World Cup Semi Final - in Brazil - two titanic football nations - Brazil have not lost at home in a competitive match since 1975, 62 games unbeaten - the pressure of 200m people on their shoulders. And are 5-0 down at half time. It is borderline unimaginable as many in this thread have stated.

So question - is this the biggest/most amazing sporting 'result' of the last 150 years? I can't think of anything that rivals it.

I think this is the biggest sporting 'result' in the modern era (i.e. in the last 100-150 years). Think 2/3 of the office were on my side.

I legitimately think this will go down as one of the most amazing reuslts over a 100-200 year period. In ANY sport. World Cup Semi Final - in Brazil - two titanic football nations - Brazil have not lost at home in a competitive match since 1975, 62 games unbeaten - the pressure of 200m people on their shoulders. And are 5-0 down at half time. It is borderline unimaginable as many in this thread have stated.

So question - is this the biggest/most amazing sporting 'result' of the last 150 years? I can't think of anything that rivals it.

American sports followers might use the Miracle on Ice, but yeah imo this is unparelleled because of the magnitude of the event.

If this question was asked on SEN, you'd get a bunch of callers mentioning AFL grand finals, like their top 50 events in sport survey about 6 years ago which contained about 15 AFL grand finals in the top 50.

On reflection. Brazil did create 3-4 opportunities for goal in the second half. Had they banged them in, it would've created uncertainty at 3-5. If they weren't such a bunch of softcocks, the impossible could've been achieved. I remember Tyler referring to a 4-4 Germany/Sweden game, where Germany were 4 up. I'm not as impressed by the German attack as others seem to be. The winner of the next semi will win the tournament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back