Society/Culture Should Australia Reinstate a The Death Penalty?

Should the death penalty be reintroduced in Australia?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm generally against the death penalty, but I wouldn't mourn Dupas or Peter Scully being fed to a pack of rabid dogs.

If the death penalty were to be introduced, "beyond reasonable doubt" wouldn't suffice. There couldn't be any doubt whatsoever.

You could argue life without the possibility of parole is a kind of death sentence anyway.

The black guy in the video I posted above got 170 years for double homicide has been in jail since he was 15.

If you gave me the choice between spending the rest of my life in jail (especially a maximum security hellhole) or having a needle stuck in my arm and ending it all after a few years, I know which one I'd choose.

The black guy in the video I posted above got 170 years for double homicide has been in jail since he was 15.
Yup. The American justice system is ****ed.

Amazing documentary on life without parole, heartbreaking s**t.

Terrorism is a problem for Australians while in other countries

you're right

but interestingly not long after my post, the Australian police force are seeking the right to shoot to kill in the case of terrorism without the same constraints as normal. I guess the debate is not only relevant but real.

the Australian police force are seeking the right to shoot to kill in the case of terrorism without the same constraints as normal.

Great news. All options should be on the table when dealing with terrorist scum.

Obviously it would be better to capture them alive and interrogate them for information.

Who makes the call on whether it is a terrorist incident or not?

It's a can of worms but that's why we must ensure we have the most professional police force possible and strong review processes.

We have the same issue with our military and the nature of their operations.

Only for especially egregious crimes like mass murder.

If there is a possibility the person is innocent of murder at all, then the death penalty IMO should not be used. However, IMO this is altogether unlikely where a person has been convicted of mass murder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who makes the call on whether it is a terrorist incident or not?

Bolta

He gets out a pantone colour chart, holds it up to the offenders, and that reveals all

you're right

but interestingly not long after my post, the Australian police force are seeking the right to shoot to kill in the case of terrorism without the same constraints as normal. I guess the debate is not only relevant but real.
Why should a terrorist be anything different then say a lunatic mowing people down with a shotgun for no reason ala. Martin Bryant?

Only for especially egregious crimes like mass murder.

If there is a possibility the person is innocent of murder at all, then the death penalty IMO should not be used. However, IMO this is altogether unlikely where a person has been convicted of mass murder.
But is there ever a case where there isn't the tiniest possibility of innocence? Video footage can be faked. Eye witnesses can be mistaken or corrupted. DNA only ever proves someone was at the scene of a crime. Nothing is 100 percent certain.

What about paraplegics. Is there life not worth living too?
A non-sequitur if ever there was one. Not a comparison even worth making.

I'm sure I'd adapt if it was me, but it would be an excessively depressing existence.

Why should a terrorist be anything different then say a lunatic mowing people down with a shotgun for no reason ala. Martin Bryant?

yep, it's a can of worms

the only thing you can do is have the most professional police force possible, with clear process and procedures but the flexibility to use professional discretion. Whenever action deviates from process and procedure, reviews should assess reasonableness and learning.

Back